What will you do when you get too old ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebyrd229

Reaction score
The idea of being a fulltime vandweller sounds great, but I often wonder what I would do once I got too old or my health diminishes to the point that I can't do it anymore? With my income being such that I probably won't have much in savings, what do nomads do when it becomes no longer feasible to continue in this lifestyle? How do you plan for the "retirement" years? Have any of you made plans or have any ideas/suggestions? I'm almost 53 so I'm starting to think about the "golden years" and beyond.

Welcome to the CRVL forums nebyrd229! Options for van dwellers are as varied as they are for the rest of the population so you should get some good suggestions.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Get on the housing waitlists in a community you have some sort of ongoing connection with (and like). Volunteering while van dwelling is an excellent way to do that.

Going seasonal & moving twice per year is an option. If leaving the road entirely then perhaps a 30 year loan with low monthly payment due to the balloon payment at the end. So if you're 85 that'll be due when you're 115 years old.

I have already discussed this with my 3 adult children. When I can no longer travel and live in my van, I will park at one of there homes and “driveway” camp. Luckily I have the financial resources as to not be a burden to them.

My old Uncle Weeks, he had a heart attack while cruising. Died instantly, ran off the mountain with a smile. Not like the cousins riding with him, they screamed all the way down.

I did the math and used my life savings to buy a truck and fifth wheel trailer. Like, this week I did that. It's freaking me out because it's definitely not a van and definitely no longer stealth...but since I'm 65 and have some health issues, now at least I know I'll have somewhere to live when I'm too rickety to travel. I'm in the Escapees RV club, and they have high quality, low cost parks sprinkled around the country. Even though it's not what I want (I want to simply drop dead and not take anyone with me!), if push comes to shove I'll take it. They even have assisted living for old RVers at the headquarters park in Texas (which is called "Rainbow's End," kind of creepy but there you go.)

I think about Slab City a lot, and how it's a loose collective of misfits. I like that idea. I don't fit into regular society. I'm feral. I think it would be great to gather a few like-minded nomadic elders, with the aim of finding a piece of real estate for those who need assistance to settle down on, or just come for respite from the road. Younger nomads who want to serve could have opportunities to make a few bucks helping, if, say, a veteran has Aid And Assistance benefits, or if someone has Home Care benefits from Medicare. It could be a really good arrangement.

I'd much rather grow old and die among my own tribe, rather than trying to somehow jam my square peg into mainstream society's round hole, if I'm not lucky enough to drop dead in my tracks.

Thoughts, ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Weight said:
My old Uncle Weeks, he had a heart attack while cruising. Died instantly, ran off the mountain with a smile. Not like the cousins riding with him, they screamed all the way down.

The way I heard that one was, when I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather and not like the screaming passengers in his back seat.
On topic I would say that I only have plans for disposing of the body, (joined Neptune Society). Everything else depends on what my health will be and I have no way to know that.

Those same thoughts haunt house dwellers too, I am a homesteader and am getting to tired of all the work that needs done, I 'd rather see new scenery while I still can, I 'll catch up on all the tv and net when I can't do anything else.

My health history so far has been like my father's. He hadn't had any serious health problems until his late 70s, then it was fifteen years of his body and mind falling apart. I don't want that for myself. If I can't take care of myself and if my brain starts to go, then there's no point staying around any longer. No. Point. At. All.

I'm a guardian/conservator for the elderly, as well as a caretaker. In my experience, more often than not, the elderly become mentally impaired long before they lose their physical ability to negotiate their worlds. If you have problems that way, you might have a couple of rough years when friends, relatives, or neighbors don't know how to intervene, but often you'll get yourself in trouble early enough that, finally, people who care will get you investigated by and eventually taken care of by the State, whether in your home or in a nursing home.

I imagine that might happen to nomads in similar fashion. They might have far fewer people around them whom they know and who therefore care almost automatically, but they meet infinitely more people and are vastly more visible to anyone and everyone than the typical elder who withdraws more and more in late life to the low-stimulation, secure and familiar and safe environment of their own home. It's easier to stick out like a sore thumb when at least somebody is seeing you!

I grew up in the days when people were often cared for simply by drugging them and/or strapping them down. Conditions might be terrible, but out of sight was out of mind. Now I see state-paid alternatives, sometimes supplemented by the worth of a person's home ownership, etc., that are absolutely great. Usually in very nice surroundings and often in much better homes than most people come from.

In short, I'm not scared anymore, the way most people of my generation are (I'm in my late 50's). Come what may, unless the State decides to abandon its citizenry entirely, it will likely spend the bulk of its social safety net on children and the elderly, and let the chips fall where they may for the rest. I think someone living alone, even in a gorgeous expensive home, would be in much more danger of a bad outcome in old age than a poor person with actively visiting family and friends, or a nomad who was out and about mingling with the world enough so that infirmities would get noticed and reported.

MrNoodly said:
My health history so far has been like my father's. He hadn't had any serious health problems until his late 70s, then it was fifteen years of his body and mind falling apart. I don't want that for myself. If I can't take care of myself and if my brain starts to go, then there's no point staying around any longer. No. Point. At. All.

I have to say, Man proposes; God disposes.  We all make all kinds of plans and think all kinds of things.  Then life comes along and it's all completely different.  

My mother was a social worker for many years in a hospital.  She says the highly religious clung to life just as dearly as anyone else, and faced death with just as much terror, their belief in the continuity of the soul after death, or even of a heaven, notwithstanding.

My father's best friend once unintentionally shamed him by saying he'd kill himself if he got to the stage where he had to wear diapers.  My father had already been wearing diapers for years by that point.  Eventually my friend wound up in diapers too.  He didn't kill himself.  Of course he didn't.

People tend to adapt.  If you lose a pleasure, you content yourself with the ones remaining.  When you're not much of an athlete anymore, you still might jog or take easy bike rides.  When you can't do that, at least you can walk.  You enjoy that too.  Every step along the way.  A man in a wheelchair can still start the day enjoying a nice breakfast.  He can enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner.  He still loves his wife, or his dog, or his beautiful house, and visiting friends.

Eventually he can't think so well.  He's not funny anymore ... not quick enough for spontaneous wit, can't quite tell a joke. But he can still laugh at one.  And that's good enough for a long time, as the stars wink out one by one.

Most people wait to see the last one.  There's no hurry.

2 years ago or so, I experienced a debilitating health emergency just as I was getting comfortable living and traveling in my '88 Chevy G20. I am grateful for the many people who came to my aid as well as the many get well wishes from the most incredible people I have ever met.
I have since recovered and my dream is still alive and well. I turn 65 in August of this year and look forward to getting on the road again, I miss it so.
I think the heart can lead the mind to adapt to the many adventures yet to come. When the time comes for me to check out, I did it my way.

Getting old is a part of life, the body and mind slowly age and with age, like our homes on wheels, things break down and need attention. In retirement, we as US citizens, are entitled to health insurance through Medicare, a government program designed to provide medical care to the seniors of our country, whether we live in a tent or a 2 million dollar home.

You can think about the alternative, (shudder)

You could be stored away in a nursing home, confined by rules and regulation, subject to institutional meals and daily care by an 8-5 paid nursing staff.

When the time comes, I would rather die in my camping chair in the middle of the desert during a colorful sunset.

Okay, come on I know I can do this... I can write about this big scary thing, if I just take it slow. There is no physical threat here in my living room, at this moment I am only the facing the monsters of my imagination. Over the years I have learned there is no point fighting my personal demons because they derive their strength from me. I alone can give them power, and they will consume as much as I am willing to give. My success has always been to cuddle with them, stroke them with tender concern in an attempt to understand why I gave them life... because it is I who birthed them, and I who continue to nourish them. I am among friends here and while they will judge me for they have no choice, it is human nature to decide what is presented to the mind... how else could it be, that is how they will form their opinion. It is in the end my self-judgment that is my concern, for only I know who I am... everyone else is only guessing, and yet it is that opinion that I seek. 

I am new here on the forum so forgive me if this is in any way inappropriate due to subject or location. I write like this to cuddle with those said demons, it is my thinking process... it is sharing my process, or what I think and write that is new ground for me. Actually sharing anything personal with anyone for me is like pulling my own teeth. I evidently was born with Asperger's syndrome which was not known in the forties and fifties. As a result of my lack of social development... I never married, was never interested. With few friends I find myself at 72 in a state of near perfect isolation. I was a sixteen year old runaway, with a ninth grade education who joined the Navy at seventeen. When discharged Living in the cracks and cerevisiaes of society never feeling that I fit in. Now I have managed to put myself in a position that is so scary (for me) that I am worried about... well my continuance, my sanity. I feel like I am losing it. So where do I go, and what do I do when approaching my 'end of day's'.  

I was forty-seven when my then estranged father called from out of the blue with a deal I could not refuse. He wanted to move to Thailand and needed to maintain his condo to retain his citizenship. He said he would give it to me if I kept the spare bedroom available for two weeks a year. At the time I was living in a provided 26 foot air stream in exchange for construction work on weekends, driving truck for a fencing company in California during the week. The woman he hooked up with in Thailand took him for almost everything he had and sent him home. When he became disabled I did the care giver thing for two and a half years, 24-7. In the end he had only me, everyone abandoned us... it was difficult for both of us, but he had me. Now when I look around I am becoming him and there is no me to help me. So what do I do. 

I have limited material resources but probably adequate for a while at least. It is the lack of people in my life I am struggling with. That is what has brought me here... hope. I am not sure what I am asking for other than advice. Maybe a pen pal or two, a sense of community. Just writing this has helped today, but it is tomorrow that I fear...

don't know where you live but here are a couple suggestions that come to mind.  Meals on Wheels.  I used to have a neighbor who sounds like you and although I looked after her business I didn't want to cook for her and we got her in the meals on wheels program.  I chose to pay for them rather than get them free because it made her feel more like she was part of the system rather getting a hand out.  The food wasn't always what she wanted but there was a different person delivering the meal and she would look forward to seeing her "friends".  Her eyes would brighten up and her attitude went up.  You said you were in the Navy so you might check with some veteran related organizations.  You might see if there's a senior center in your town where people go to eat lunch and play games.  In Texas we have a Council on Aging that might be a resource to look for in your state.

nebyrd229 said:
The idea of being a fulltime vandweller sounds great, but I often wonder what I would do once I got too old or my health diminishes to the point that I can't do it anymore? With my income being such that I probably won't have much in savings, what do nomads do when it becomes no longer feasible to continue in this lifestyle? How do you plan for the "retirement" years? Have any of you made plans or have any ideas/suggestions? I'm almost 53 so I'm starting to think about the "golden years" and beyond.

I'm 58 this month. I suffer from depression at times. That's kind of why I don't carry a pistol......However, if I was to take enough of my meds...I won't need a pistol....

However, I have a job I am happy with and hope that in the next 12 months to pay off my debts of $14.5K and the vehicle I'll be buying. Then hope to start saving and put away $15K or more in an account I won't touch till I am 62. Then I'll retire on about $800+ a month SS. 

Then I'll start taking it easy....If the body holds out for 4 more years...

Moderator edit: The video is "Caddyshack - Bill Murray's story about the Dalai Lama".
Please include a description when a video link is posted. Thanks!

Psalm 37:25 King James Version (KJV)

25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Please forgive this post if it's too new agey for your senses. As a senior among you many of the thoughts said here filter into my mind periodically so no whiplashes for others having the same.

That said, for me who is still in rental awaiting the magic take off day, I try to focus on the "next few years" instead of the whole picture and the rest of the journey. I know we are suppose to plan for out old age (I'm 65-66) but I figure if I better my circumstances the options in a few years will be much better so I'll see then what's to choose from and not worry about that. For now what am I doing and where am I going in my immediate future?

I recently got pretty low in spirits and very low in energy. I was working hard but eating chips, sugar and very little fruits and veggies (canned corn had somehow crept in as an acceptable dinner vegetable). In 3 days of making some changes there in the diet I'm feeling back to my self. I think feeling better makes for better thinking and a calmer attitude. I started with a few bottles of already made juice bought at the local Sprouts because I couldn't seem to break out the juicer even though it was in the cupboard below. They sell a juice called 'Naked' which is pretty good even if it is about $2.50 (but it's real food folks). A few days later I feel like I had a couple of vitamin B shots and I could feel my mental attitude change as well.

I love listening to the Abraham/Hicks tapes. There is a lot of thought provoking messages there for how to make good changes in your personal world. If there is anything that can help me change my thinking from negative to positve that's it. Or sometimes it's music - I can put on some old rock n roll and soon I'm singing (out of tune) and dancing (sort of I have issues) while I work. Find the things that help you change your feeling and use those tools often.

I too often feel isolated and for me these kind of lists are helpful there. I know I could do a lot more personally to be more social in the community but my focus has been on this senior venture and my focus there. I spend my days downsizing and sorting (NO storage unit for us) and finally now building the RV out of a cargo trailer. So that means watching a lot of YouTube videos and learning by myself instead of making the effort in the social world. My choice, there are options out there.

The gatherings that Bob and the group as well as other groups like Escapees and such are good things to look forward to. I feel really lucky that I will have a partner traveling with me on my adventure but know one day there will only be one of us in the cab.

I always thought the Escapees do a great job at caring for their community and plan to check out some of their parks among the many things in the futue to check out.