What unique storage methods have you seen?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
So I spend whatever time I can looking up different things that would make van life better. Today I saw this picture of a way to store shoes. Now I know a lot of people normally block this area off or just don't use it at all. So that's why I thought it was unique. What things have you seen for storage?
955283fbd6f9ee1ae28a14467b4068ec.jpg

This man immediately comes to mind. He needed two vans

I've never seen it done, but I've often thought it would be cool if you could make a hollow bumper for the rear of a van for storage, similar to rv and trailer rear bumpers.

Attachments

• Van man storage 1.jpg
    Van man storage 1.jpg
    106 KB
  • Van man storage 2.jpg
    Van man storage 2.jpg
    102.8 KB
I have a very high ceiling, so I suspended a section of stretching cargo netting over part of the ceiling and use that to store my insulated window panels or other very light stuff.

I'll have to check my Pinterest RV section, but here is one idea to use more vertical space. The person who had posted the pic says they use it for things needed as you go outside (sunscreen, bug spray, etc.).

Attachments

• bed5d96d6d34a2cd3375efc53a0eb7f1.jpg
    bed5d96d6d34a2cd3375efc53a0eb7f1.jpg
    44.6 KB
In engineering we call that "cube space utilization."

In layman's terms: expand up, not out.

Brad, I am very glad I finished my coffee before seeing that

re "built under floor storage in a van"
How can you do that without Welding, or Gluing the parts? 
er, for that matter
how does a person do ANY structural ... changes, without being an engineer, or Master-mechanic, or having a Shop, etc. etc. etc. ??
==
Aawww, that Squirrel is so cute :)

Like asking how can you paint without using paint?

If you don't have the skills, start acquiring them, and the tools of course.

If you "can't" or don't want to do that, then pay those that do, to do it for you. Sometimes you can buy a unit already got what you need.

Third option is do without, can't really think of others.

subscribed

I used the area where the shoes are in the first post to put a custom made air tank (air storage lol)

I also use the space in the rear bumper to store the shorter tubing I use for my custom awning.

Im not sure if it is unique but I use several of those hanging net baskets and the bungy cord nets too. I have the bungy cord nets on the ceiling, right up against it when empty and it stretches to fit the light stuff. this is very useful and I dont see it often is why I mention it. dont have a photo handy but I think you get the idea.

also use the same bungy type nets over the rear and rear side windows, my van has 4" pockets there and with the stretch net I can fit soft stuff larger than 4" there.

you could also put them on the walls in vans with no windows and the one on the ceiling are also useful to hang light stuff from.

there is often more room behind interior panels you can cut oval holes into that are big enough to stick your arm in and reach down into them from. its not too ugly if done right and you can also stuff lots of plastic grocery bags into these spaces if your not using them for anything else and I think it makes decent insulation. can fill the area behind the headliner this way too I guess.

cool thread.

Storage containers have a wide top and a narrow bottom. When placed side by side there is a small space. I use that space to store a box of sandwich bags and a flashlight; easy access for two frequently used items.

In the inside, upper part of a cabinet extra aerosol cans are stored on a shelf I fastened in there.

In the top, back of my closet, I installed a narrow shelf for gloves and hats; this one turned out exceptionally well.

I have one, 9 foot long shelf that I keep my 7 foot long straight edge. Finding a safe place for that was difficult.

When people have two wheel drives they often have more of a need for winches and other extrication equipment that takes up precious space in their rigs. My truck is four wheel drive with my extrication equipment "stored" in the form of a transfer case and a front axle with a differential. Not unique, but a unique way of looking at storage.

My Sam's Club cabinets were too low for comfort so I built a platform to raise them so the counter level was at an appropriate level. Underneath I store heavier items.

My ladder is stored against a wall with bungi straps. Not storage per se, but an effective way to keep an item out of the way while still having easy access. Looks good, too. Storage doesn't have to be in a box or covered up somehow. Another way to look at storage differently.

Finally, do you remember those old Sampsonite toiletry cases? The hard sided ones? You don't see those around so much anymore. Instead of installing a medicine cabinet on the wall, I use that instead. Works awesome. I saw a guy on the Internet glue a mirror on a Pelican box on the wall and use it as a real medicine cabinet. He put a spacer on the bottom of the cabinet so it tilted back to help prevent items from falling out. That idea impressed me.

Latest posts