What I've Learned in My First 13 Days on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm6398

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts on my first two weeks on the road. And since I am a female it may pertain more to women than men.. :shy:

1. You will over pack. Since I am traveling with (2) cats and a dog who have never liked being in a car I brought along a large dog crate for the cats and a small one for the dog. After the first day they now ride on the couch. I have winter clothes, summer clothes and three jackets of various warmths. It is 80 degrees in Georgia - I don't need a jacket.

2. The first time you boondock at a Cracker Barrel in some strange city because you are too tired to drive you will be thinking "what am I doing?" and then you will sleep all through the night after a good meal of course.

3. Any mechanical problem, after you have had your vehicle checked and re-checked will again have you asking "what am I doing"? And then you will find a mechanic and have it fixed.

4. Traveling without a plan can be expensive. Traveling with a plan means you have to adhere to a schedule. Sometimes you have to choose. As noted in another thread this lifestyle isn't free. Gas, food, laundry, campgrounds or Cracker Barrels all involve some expense . The good thing is you have more control over how you wish to spend your money. I haven't found any "free" camping here on the east coast, but I have paid as little as $9.00/night to stay in the National forest - without hookups.

5. Some of the best tourist attractions are free.

6. If you aren't enjoying yourself - make a new plan. If it isn't fun it is not worth doing. I could have been miserable staying in the place that I left. When I find that I am getting cranky it just means I have to change what I am doing. This is my dream and I am going to enjoy it.

7. Fear of every imaginable thing that can go wrong will pop up occasionally - you just have to tell yourself that you have it under control. My first few days, especially with my vehicle problems were a little scary. But now, not so much.

8. I have met some great people by introducing myself to them. I have had great, random conversations with people from all over but I had to take the initiative. So say hello to your neighbor.

So far this has been an incredible adventure. I opted to only go with free wifi when I can get it which means I go for days at a time without it and that presents its own challenge too. But instead of being online I write letters, I talk on the phone, I talk to my neighbors if I have any, I walk the dog, read, and just enjoy the moment. Has it all been wonderful - no, some things have sucked like the refrigerator dying, getting the sewer hose stuck and having to pry it off with a screw driver in the freezing cold, early morning hours, paying $25 to go to a tourist attraction that was NOT worth that much money, having your GPS route you down a road that turned into a goat trail and there's no way to turn around, asking for directions to a place for the second time and learning its right around the corner - but I am having a wonderful time and I am finding I am a whole lot more than I thought I was. And nothing beats that.

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing that with us!

The only thing I'd add is if you are full-timing, you may want to hold onto some of those winter clothes. The last time I drove through Atlanta it was in December and it was snowing! I froze my butt off all the way across the country until I came to New Mexico!  :huh: :p
Bob

Great post , you're getting on track . I can tell you're starting to have a great time.

Never forget , you would have had problems driving in those oh so familiar circles you used to do in your "old" life too !

akrvbob said:
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing that with us!

The only thing I'd add is if you are full-timing, you may want to hold onto some of those winter clothes. The last time I drove through Atlanta it was in December and it was snowing! I froze my butt off all the way across the country until I came to New Mexico!  :huh: :p
Bob

Good point! Hard to imagine it getting that cold when it's so beautiful outside now.

I find that if my plans include points of interest, and destinations, but no exact schedule or time table, things are much more enjoyable.

Those little unplanned but time consuming detours provide the spice of life...

Oh yeah, keep a jacket tucked away.
We were in shorts here in the sunny desert one day and digging out jackets the next.
It will warm up again so the shorts might come in handy.

I stuff my wrong season clothes in pillow shams.
Down and fleece jackets in summer and light weight things in winter.

Excellent post,  I hope to see more like it here.   :) 

If you are with surpluses of items that are still too valuable to sell cheap, give away, etc,  you could find some
boxes and pack this stuff in it and if there is anyone back home (sister and brother in law, Mom/Dad) you may
be able to ship it home on a Bus and them pick it up at the Bus terminal when it gets there.   Probably a less expensive means of freight.   I would suggest lining the box with plastic garbage bags with a piece of cedar
wood in the bottom and then using a twist tie to close it tight.  It may keep it safe from insects etc.

In my Boy Scout days we had a thing called a "shake down" session before we went on the trail.  It taught a
method of thinking about what was too much and how to take what would be enough.

storm6398 said:
Just a few thoughts on my first two weeks on the road. And since I am a female it may pertain more to women than men.. :shy:

So far this has been an incredible adventure. I opted to only go with free wifi when I can get it which means I go for days at a time without it and that presents its own challenge too. But instead of being online I write letters, I talk on the phone, I talk to my neighbors if I have any, I walk the dog, read, and just enjoy the moment. Has it all been wonderful - no, some things have sucked like the refrigerator dying, getting the sewer hose stuck and having to pry it off with a screw driver in the freezing cold, early morning hours, paying $25 to go to a tourist attraction that was NOT worth that much money, having your GPS route you down a road that turned into a goat trail and there's no way to turn around, asking for directions to a place for the second time and learning its right around the corner - but I am having a wonderful time and I am finding I am a whole lot more than I thought I was. And nothing beats that.

Thank you so much for your "lessons" I'm on the east coast as well and wondered about free camping. I know there's some to be had in Florida.
Good luck in your adventures!

Thank you, love this post. I will also be a solo female traveler and seeing other post from females is encouraging.

May your great adventures continue.

little tip here about being prepared. at least out west in the high desert you can have wild temp changing as little as a few hours. I have seen it go from the 80's to the 30's in a matter of a few hours. you always need hot weather gear and cold weather gear no matter what time of year but especially spring and fall. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
little tip here about being prepared.  at least out west in the high desert you can have wild temp changing as little as a few hours.  I have seen it go from the 80's to the 30's in a matter of a few hours.  you always need hot weather gear and cold weather gear no matter what time of year but especially spring and fall.  highdesertranger

You are so right! I decided to move over to Alabama and it is far colder than I thought it would be!

Hence my 'under the mattress' comment. Get it out of the way, but keep it handy. :)
Or some people use a spider-web bungee rig and net their off season stuff to an unused ceiling area.. but I am short on head space, so that won't work for me.

Cheli said:
Thank you, love this post.  I will also be a solo female traveler and seeing other post from females is encouraging.

May your great adventures continue.

Love your website! Keep posting on your progress!