What I've learned about small container sewage management

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dusty98 said:
Anyone used an automotive funnel with a fuel line clamped on it leading down through a hole in the floor?  Then follow the #1 with a chaser of bleach water?  I've wondered about that in lieu of the Gatorade or OJ type wide mouth bottles...  Doesn't help for #2 or the runs though.

That is just rude and disgusting.  You are living right on top of that!

Nothing like making your van reek like piss.   

The there is a hole for exhaust fumes to enter through...

Use a bottle and pick a tree to water.  One away from where you are parked.

dusty98 said:
Anyone used an automotive funnel with a fuel line clamped on it leading down through a hole in the floor?  Then follow the #1 with a chaser of bleach water?  I've wondered about that in lieu of the Gatorade or OJ type wide mouth bottles...  Doesn't help for #2 or the runs though.

Someone whose name I won't broadcast (and no, not me... :p ) used to use that method back in the 70's while running down the interstate.

He had to think twice about it after seeing the driver in the vehicle behind him throw on the windshield wipers and look thoroughly confused in bright sunshine on a sunny summer day... :rolleyes:

Bleach water will clean out your funnel and line but what about the ground that you are parked on?

I find peeing in a bicycle water bottle and dumping it at a later time to be much easier. Sometimes, if I'm already in an appropriate place, I'll dump it right after I use it, but it needs to be someplace where the smell won't effect other people.

Well, since I don't have a funnel/hose arrangement now I suppose I won't advocate it due to it being labeled "rude and disgusting". I'm not sure it's any less rude and disgusting dumping bottles of urine on others landscaping, or for that matter, look on the sides of the interstates at the number of bottles thrown out. Thats "rude and disgusting" to me, but I'm just an old fat guy. Just being old and fat is probably rude and disgusting to some...

Bitty, that was actually interesting. I kind of stopped thinking beyond what I use, but the way you explained is good to know in case I want or need to change things up in the bathroom department. Figuring stuff out when I'm in dire straights doesn't work as well for me; easier to learn ahead of time.

dusty98 said:
Well, since I don't have a funnel/hose arrangement now I suppose I won't advocate it due to it being labeled "rude and disgusting".   I'm not sure it's any less rude and disgusting dumping bottles of urine on others landscaping, or for that matter, look on the sides of the interstates at the number of bottles thrown out.  Thats "rude and disgusting" to me, but I'm just an old fat guy.  Just being old and fat is probably rude and disgusting to some...

I am not attacking you, but few things are worse than stepping in a puddle of someones sewage in the middle of a camping or parking area.  

People who throw bottles of urine out the window are just as bad.   

When in the woods, use a tree.  That way it goes back to nature.  When in someplace with "landscaping" dump it in a public facility.

Do you know what  "cat hole" is used for? Direct disposal of waste.

As for being old and fat.  well the world will have to get used to us.  :blush:

Bitty said:
Having had yet another disaster last night, I figured it was high time I begin a thread like this so hopefully others can learn from my mistakes...and successes. My system for nearly a year now has been  the Piddle Pail with a Nalgene bladder as backup/overflow. I'm female-bodied, I stay in the city and use available restrooms when possible but have had to handle emergency #2 with no restroom available a couple dozen times.

Things I've Learned:

• Pooping in a 2.75" diameter opening can be done. Steps: 1) Deplete bladder 2) Position appropriately 3) Hold tissue against self to catch bladder leakage while pooing.
  • Once you poop in a container the smell never leaves no matter what you do to it.
  • Isopropryl alcohol in a fine mist sprayer works swell as a sanitizer, for hands and other surfaces.
  • Adding baking soda to a sewage container does wonders for the smell.
  • Adding isopropryl alochol and baking soda to an empty, sealed sewage container creates a science experiment volcano. A well sanitized one. May ruin container.
  • Adding baking soda to an empty container that isn't fully dry creates caked-on baking soda residue that's impossible to remove without a brush.
  • A partially full Nalgene bladder can get run over by a van and still not leak or burst.
  • Kleenex works just as well as toilet paper, and can be more convenient if living space is extremely small.
  • Tissue used for #1 can be discarded in trash without smell.
I'll add to this thread when I have more! Anyone else, feel free to contribute. :)
Bitty, I too  have had some #2 emergencies in my van. My solution is Dog poop bags. Just sayin'

//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

LOL! I'm still wiping tears from my eyes about the volcano poop! For me that would be pure panic. "Not my carpet!!!"

On a side note, where in the world do you get a bed pan anymore?

John

Bitty said:
  • Pooping in a 2.75" diameter opening can be done. Steps: 1) Deplete bladder 2) Position appropriately 3) Hold tissue against self to catch bladder leakage while pooing.
I'll add to this thread when I have more! Anyone else, feel free to contribute. :)

hmmm.....

I had the foresight to keep this particular stool, (NPI), but I don't think I have the hindsight to actually use it!

The hole is only 2.5" diameter, a little shy of Bitty's 2.75"

Holey chair.jpg

Attachments

• Holey chair.jpg
    Holey chair.jpg
    178.2 KB
Good old five gallon buckets. It is hard to miss while using a five gallon bucket.

ccbreder said:
Good old five gallon buckets. It is hard to miss while using a five gallon bucket.

But that defeats the original purpose of the thread. Those of us with itsy-bitsy spaces need itsy-bitsy solutions.

WildTrappist said:
Bitty, I too  have had some #2 emergencies in my van. My solution is Dog poop bags. Just sayin'
Yes dog poop bags.
Worked great the one or two times I was able to use a bucket with cat litter and the one time I held a bag up to myself and hoped for the best. Now with a thetford for emergency use I just use them for dog poop, coffee grounds and toilet paper. No dumpster diver in their right mind would open one up and they claim to be biodegradable.

All I have to say about pee bottles is make sure it's big enough for your biggest midnight/morning bladder evacuations or that you are comfortable pausing to find a second container.

Almost There said:
Someone whose name I won't broadcast (and no, not me... :p ) used to use that method back in the 70's while running down the interstate.

He had to think twice about it after seeing the driver in the vehicle behind him throw on the windshield wipers and look thoroughly confused in bright sunshine on a sunny summer day... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh. I can identify with the oops moment when I did sort of the same thing to a driver sitting behind me at a stoplight.
My windshield washer nozzle got maladjusted somehow and fluid was sailing clear over my car onto the windshield of the car behind me. What's a girl to do?  :blush: