What about cats?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about this. I have one old cat and two younger ones.

Excessive heat: My van would have to have a roof vent, absolutely. My first van came with one installed, and the second one didn't. The first thing that the second van got was a roof vent (not as hard to install as I thought). Still, in hot weather, a roof vent wouldn't be enough. Then I saw this plastic cooler air conditioner: If it works in a tiny home, it should work in a van. The small 15-watt car fan can run off solar, a 12-volt battery, or a car battery/cigarette lighter. Raw ice works better than ice in a container; one big chunk lasts 4 or 5 hours, depending on ambient conditions.

The next idea was a pop-up net tent: http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-le...nt-tent-manufacturer-out-door-tent-scree.html

A large folding dog crate for inside the van (while driving) could be a good thing.

Letting a cat run free vehicle is crazy.

TrainChaser said:
I've been thinking about this.  I have one old cat and two younger ones.  

Excessive heat:  My van would have to have a roof vent, absolutely.  My first van came with one installed, and the second one didn't.  The first thing that the second van got was a roof vent (not as  hard to install as I thought).  Still, in hot weather, a roof vent wouldn't be enough.  Then I saw this plastic cooler air conditioner:  If it works in a tiny home, it should work in a van.    The small 15-watt car fan can run off solar, a 12-volt battery, or a car battery/cigarette lighter.  Raw ice works better than ice in a container; one big chunk lasts 4 or 5 hours, depending on ambient conditions.

The next idea was a pop-up net tent:  http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-le...nt-tent-manufacturer-out-door-tent-scree.html

A large folding dog crate for inside the van (while driving) could be a good thing.

Letting a cat run free vehicle is crazy.

Attachments

• Tigger inside.jpg
    Tigger inside.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 12
  • the boss.jpg
    the boss.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 13
  • possums.jpg
    possums.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
Those kittens on the right are real Chow Hounds, and will eat every bit of food in your van. Give them away and then drive like 'ell!

I've had cats that got physically ill traveling in a car, every time
Then there was Smokey, a solid gray who 'adopted' me by entering my car at a burger joint and re entering every time i set him out, till I gave up and took him home, who would ride on my shoulder, and not even sink his claws in when a semi went by (no AC so windows open)
Then there was Bandit, (AKA the Parrot cat) a black n white that rode my motorcycle with me
Cats are all very different from one another

When I was living in my van for several months, I did have a cat that was loose inside the van, and walked on a leash and wouldn't fuss when she was tethered so she could go in or out. She liked to sleep on the dash that was tilted toward the window when I drove. I got pulled over by a cop when the fuse to my tail lights or stop lights went out, and he thought having a stuffed cat on the dash was kind of bizarre. And then Trilby yawned and stretched, and he couldn't stop laughing.

Latest posts