What about cats?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kgryfon

Reaction score
I had a cat named Felix for over 18 years and he died last year. Much as I loved him and miss him (which I won't go into here), it kind of answered the question for me as to what I was going to do when I sold my house and hit the road when I retire in a couple of years. Well, then my sons GF brought home a litter of kittens that we were "just going to foster until she could find homes for them". Now they've broken up and I still have two kittens (almost a year old now) here that I've bonded with. Damn it! Anyone taken cats on the road with them? One of them I'm pretty sure would stick around but the other is a feisty little thing that I am afraid would run off. If you travel with your cat(s), how do you manage?

Just a comment on a guy I saw the past couple weekends. He has one cat with him. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but when he opened up the van the cat went out and just hung out near the van like a dog would. So I guess it's dooable.

Depends on the cat, doesn't it? I've had cats most of my life, most of them too squirrely to live in a van. I miss them, but enjoy the freedom of being cat-free at the moment.

Best of luck!

There are people here who keep cats in vans, and I don't want to pick a fight, but I don't think cats are compatible with van living.  Cats are territorial, and the van is always moving.  If you stayed at one place a little too long, then moved, the cat might go back.  You'll be chasing your cat. I have a cat, but she's a house cat (my father's cat, he died). She's a nice cat, and she's getting up in years, and I'll need to find a home for her. Maybe you could find a good home for your cats, with relatives or friends, and you could still see them.  

Okay guess I need to jump in here on the subject of cats and vans.Let me clarify that I like dogs as well but due to several situations I am unable to care for a dog like it should be at this time. Now as for my cats background info I have and have traveled with my  4, yes FOUR,cats in my Minivan. Now just as cats and dogs are different cats are different also.My oldest one I have had since she was born 13 years ago.At about 5 years of age she began waking me in the middle of the night with soft paw taps on my face that would get more aggressive if I tried to ignore her.She began licking my arms and hands at different times during the day.It was about this time I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabeties .Came to the realization she was alerting me to dangerous blood sugar levels.She was certified as a service animal in 2008.My next two are littermates 6 years old but both are special needs due to a condition that is easiest to explain as feline cerebral palsy.One is more serious than the other but both are mobile and healthy.The last is a rescue I took in almost a year ago 2-3 years old as near as can be determined with no health problems.All have shots,fixed and chipped. Okay so some cats might not be suited for travel and some are.I would suggest a short day trip to see how your cat reacts.To be fair I have known more than a few dogs that don't handle travel well either.For my kittycrew and I we travel well. I plan to post some ideas about what I did with regards to my cats to make it a pleasant trip for us all.Have a wonderful week :)

gramakittycat said:
Okay guess I need to jump in here on the subject of cats and vans.Let me clarify that I like dogs as well but due to several situations I am unable to care for a dog like it should be at this time. Now as for my cats background info I have and have traveled with my  4, yes FOUR,cats in my Minivan. Now just as cats and dogs are different cats are different also.My oldest one I have had since she was born 13 years ago.At about 5 years of age she began waking me in the middle of the night with soft paw taps on my face that would get more aggressive if I tried to ignore her.She began licking my arms and hands at different times during the day.It was about this time I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabeties .Came to the realization she was alerting me to dangerous blood sugar levels.She was certified as a service animal in 2008.My next two are littermates 6 years old but both are special needs due to a condition that is easiest to explain as feline cerebral palsy.One is more serious than the other but both are mobile and healthy.The last is a rescue I took in almost a year ago 2-3 years old as near as can be determined with no health problems.All have shots,fixed and chipped. Okay so some cats might not be suited for travel and some are.I would suggest a short day trip to see how your cat reacts.To be fair I have known more than a few dogs that don't handle travel well either.For my kittycrew and I we travel well. I plan to post some ideas about what I did with regards to my cats to make it a pleasant trip for us all.Have a wonderful week :)

After 6 month on the road with my cat, I have found that I have I have to keep an eye on him.  All animals have different personalities, and mine is trained to obey voice commands.  (As much as a cat will obey~~~) 

I prefer having a cat, but he must have a harness on him when ever the door is open.  He protects the campsite from dogs trying to "mark" my things.  I have a tub with a door cut in it for a box, and the place stays clean. 

No doggy slobber or finding chewed up items~~~  

I enjoy animals. Always have. I grew up with cats, dogs, hamsters, gerbils, turtles, fish in bowls, fish in aquariums...you get the picture. They make me smile, give me companionship and I view taking care of their needs as my part of the relationship. I don't have a dog now because I don't have the energy or mobility to walk a dog everyday, multiple times a day. Nor do I have access to a yard that would also allow the dog to roam & be fit and enjoy his/her dog life. I wouldn't knowingly compromise an animals needs for my own. So I have cats, two currently. I've had more and less at different times in my life. Two is good for me now.

I would have been in a van a few years ago if I didn't have my cats in my life. Temp extremes are even more difficult to deal with when your animal is a cat versus a dog. Dogs are easier to leash train and are more accepted in venues if temps are rising and inside the van isn't comfortable for them. At least that's my thinking. Working out climate control issues has been my .ain priority. I can add more blankets in the cold or go to a movie, mall or coffee shop in the heat of the day to get some air conditioned relief. So my animals are important to me.

All that being said, living a life with dignity within my limited means and health issues and having experiencs and being with people that enhance the joy in my life is also important to me so I've turned to vandwelling as a viable option. I'm just starting the process of making my 20 year old conversion van livable for me and them. I've been leash training the cat that has more get-up-and-go in him. He's younger and that's just his personality. He's the one I may have to rehome if he doesn't adjust well. It would be sad for me but may be better for him. Only time will tell. The other one I found in a field as a kitten and has never been an explorer of the outside. Doors and windows have been left open and he just sits by them. The few times he has ventured out have been just enough to seem to remind him that inside is the place he wants to be. I think he'll adjust just fine to living in a van. Both cats were with me when I drove across the country in a Rav 4 i think and after the first day I let them out of the carrier. They were much happier out of the carrier than in it. The rest of the trip was fine. They also traveled from California to Oregon with me just fine, again outside their carrier. They seemed fine then also. I'm really torn about the carrier. I know they are safer in the carrier if I were to be involved in an accident but they seem so distressed inside the carrier and much calmer when able to be less confined and see around.

They will both be chipped, up to date on shots and have updated collar tags when I move them into the van. I've read and studied ventilation threads on this website, especially anything Sternwake has contributed to, for my ventilation plan. That plan will be adapted as needed for their comfort as well as my own. Solar is not in my budget currently and I will be local and doing urban stealth for at least a year or two. I am also planning on living in versus living out of my van. I am in a temperate climate locally. This all plays into my ventilation decisions as well.

So not a lot of actual experience with mobil living with cats but at least I can explain some of my thought process to you. As with everything, how you prioritize your needs and what your actual needs are versus mine will probably lead you to different decisions. As I do the actual work to my van and move in I plan on updating the area on traveling with pets because I was disappointed with how sparse it was.

I'm just relaying my experiences and not passing judgement. I really like cats and have nothing against them in any way. Also bear in mind that I meet lots of vandwellers, hundreds, if not thousands of them.

I personally know at least 5 vandwellers that I can think of that have lost cats out here. By that I mean they lived in their van with them and then one day they were gone to never be seen or heard from again. It happened to someone in the last month since the last RTR. She moved to Ehrenberg with us and went out one day with her cat, looked away briefly and the cat disappeared never to be seen again. No signs of struggle and no hint of where the cat went. Nearly all of them were like that, I have no explanation. A guess a coyote could do it but it's hard for me to imagine it. She was close by and never saw or heard anything. She's thinking maybe a bird of prey but you'd see it out of the corner of your eye or hear the whoosh of their wings--maybe not if they are gliding but they have to power up to fly away with the extra weight.

I think all the cats went into a wash because that's where the mice and lizards are. Maybe the coyotes wait there for them.

I've also known a few people (less than 5 that I can think of right now) who have had cats long term without losing them. But there are less of them.

In my opinion, based on my direct experience, if you bring them out here you have at least a 60% chance of losing them.
Bob

Good to know Bob. I was thinking of getting one of those collapsable covered enclosures for small dogs. Now I know I need one before the next RTR or boondocking.

Watch out for the big predatory birds too. We have hawks and owls plenty big enough to take a cat or a small dog. So quick you think Kitty just 'disappeared'. :(
Of course down here, except for the coldest times, gators are always a possibility, more so for dogs than cats.
Dogs will also take a cat, but generally kitty will be able to make a fight of it.

well I would have never thought bringing cats with you was even possible. about 10 years ago I ran into a fellow prospector with 2 cats, at the time I couldn't believe it. they would roam around his camp during he day and sleep in his van at night. like I said I could not believe it. so all of you with cats, power to you, keep them safe. cats are small and are dinner for a lot of wild animals. highdesertranger

gypsychic said:
Good to know Bob. I was thinking of getting one of those collapsable covered enclosures for small dogs. Now I know I need one before the next RTR or boondocking.

Hi GP! For times I'll be stopped I found this on line(www.Tailveil) and I'll be ordering it soon seems a great solution to give my furbabies a place to stretch and yet be safe.My cats are strickly indoor cats so this may make it easier than cats who are used to being outside.Remember 2 of mine are disabled and one is considered "senior" the last one is settling in as a indoor cat. I kept mine in harnesses and any time I was parked and had doors open all of them had long leashes I would clip to a heavy object so if they were startled they wouldn't be able to runaway.I would stop at parks along the way and put their food,water and litterbox where they could reach them in the shade.I also brought a couple of carriers (large) one wire and another your typical plastic box cat carrier.They folded so took very little room.I would get them used to the harness for a couple weeks before leaving too. I have to share that at a very nice park in Iowa we stopped and I thought they would enjoy playing/relaxing on the lush grass.....No such thing! even the most disabled kitty was lopping for the van as fast as he could! Then I remembered they are used to the desert sand that is New Mexico not green grass! I will post some more soon and I hope I am posting properly and that I can be of some help to other cat people.   :shy:

Thanks, everyone! You've given me a lot of things to think about. I remember traveling as a kid when we moved across country, taking our cat with us. I can't remember how my parents kept from losing him since we stayed in camp sites all along the way. I do remember they figured out not to feed him until we had stopped for the day, or he would invariably throw up in the car :) Also I remember that on occasion, for no reason whatsoever, he would suddenly flip out and start running around the stationwagon like a demon, causing my dad to swerve all over the road while the cat jumped on his head and ran around the top of the seats! Yeah, I really do have to think about this seriously...

I have a 3 leg rescue cat that is super awesome in the car. I've had her across the country a few times in a car and no problems. I agree with what others say. It depends on the cat. Maybe get a harness and a leash to try short trips. Good luck!

Some breeds are more amenable to this lifestyle than others. My personal experience is with Persians and Himalayans, showing and breeding. That said, every cat is VERY much an individual. Also, they may behave reliably for years and then do something out of character. Dogs do this as well, but it's more likely with a cat. So just because your cat has never done whatever, doesn't mean it won't.

I lived and traveled with my kitty in a big rig. She was raised in the truck with me so she's accustomed to travel. She's a torti and they're known for being cantankerous at times, she's no exception ;). I had one incident when she was about 3/4 grown where she snuck out the door at a rest area as we were going out or coming back in to the truck from visiting the restrooms. I had my daughter with me. I was ready to pull away and I just felt that something wasn't right. Sure enough, I looked around and I said, "WHERE is Magnum?" My daughter went out and found Miss M, crouched and scared (she scared me too with that one) under another truck - more fresh air than she bargained for. We retrieved her and I never had any trouble with her pulling that stunt again. She had places she liked to lay and watch things go by as my co-pilot, I don't think she ever felt deprived of 'space' or anything like that. I am her person and she's my Maggie, she goes where I go.

A calmer indoor cat would be likely to acclimate well if they can get used to the moving vehicle.

Like any pet you may have out with you, common sense is warranted - and an awareness of where they are as you do things - like you would be aware of your kid. I would never, ever let a cat roam outside a vehicle 'loose' (off-leash or not in a play pen).  

I had a harness and leash for Maggie that she wore when she was young. The harness was mostly so I'd have a way to get a hold of her if needed. We were able to retrieve her from the rest area where she had her adventure because we could get a hold of her harness to get her back in the truck. For living mobile with me again, I would prefer to re-introduce her to a harness. I plan on purchasing a collapsible/folding pet playpen (with a top) so she can spend time outside safely.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how folks who participate in cat shows travel? I know the cats aren't pets, but perhaps that type of travel would have some good ideas.

Hi
I have been wondering about this issue. I am especially concerned about a travel trailer. If I buy one do I leave the cat in the trailer or move him to the tow vehicle when traveling. I think I will spend a lot of time with hookups so leaving him in air conditioning when parking won't be an issue but what about when I am traveling from one spot to another. Any ideas.

Bast said:
Hi
I have been wondering about this issue. I am especially concerned about a travel trailer. If I buy one do I leave the cat in the trailer or move him to the tow vehicle when traveling. I think I will spend a lot of time with hookups so leaving him in air conditioning when parking won't be an issue but what about when I am traveling from one spot to another. Any ideas.

Cats are social.  Keep it with you.  When driving, it is safer for both the cat and your belongings for it to have a lap to sit on and a person to calm it down.

My cat is 11 years old. I'm definitely going to travel with her in a van. She was an outdoor cat for the first 6 years (woods) and an indoor cat that escapes sometimes for the last 5 years (city). She's probably as close to a dog as a cat can get. She sleeps at the foot of my bed, begs for food in the kitchen, and wants to be with me 24/7. She's my guard cat. We've moved around a lot and she's gotten out a few times. She'll have fun out there for a few hours, kill a bird and then later when she's hungry she'll come back when I call her. She doesn't go far, knows to stay away from roads and other people. She gets scared when any shadow passes over her, so she's innately afraid of large birds. I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. If the unfortunate happens, I'll know that I gave her the best life that I could and that no matter where I end up moving to, she would've definitely chosen to come with me. She hates anyone/everyone else.

Live life with no regrets.

Latest posts