Week one

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTraveler

Reaction score
Today is one week since I started out full time. I got my van 11 days ago and stay in it starting monday night. there has been a few modifications to the way I have stored things. first was plastic drawers and now i got some shelving and various containers. Other than needing so many bungee cords to keep things down I am liking this much more because it is easier to find things or put them away. So far I am staying around my area of Eastern Shore, Nova Scotia until I get some money together and get my passport. I have been staying by the ocean most nights and it is really great. I am super happy getting up with the sun and sleep really well at night. this weekend I had a yard sale and sold most of my stuff and will have another next weekend and hopefully the rest will go. I am still waiting on the date for the auction of my bigger things like appliances and such. so hopefully that wont be too much longer.  Im hoping to start out west in the next two months then I want to attend the RTR in January. I really wish I had known about this lifestyle years ago. it is so relaxing. there are things im worried about of course like money because being on a pension I only had that to start off with and just selling my belonging is what is keeping me going right now. i also know that after this first month things will only get better so im not too stressed over it. I take things as they come. I wish there were others in this area that I could talk with and learn a bit from. Other than that im really enjoying it, I love the freedom. :heart:
I didnt end up taking out the seats, the front ones I store them in the floor and the back ones I am using as my bed until I can get one built.
the dogs are really enjoying it. Thunder sleeps with me on the back bench seat and Storm moves around alot going from the front seat, to the floor, to sleeping with me and back around again lol. they run free at the beaches and fenced in parks they have very long leads that I use for parking lots and more populated areas.
Im looking forward to more traveling and adventures  :)

:)   I'm glad things are working out for you!   Just last night I was wondering what had happened with you and the van and here you are this morning!   What are the temps. like where you are?  I've been in south AL so long that I forget some places can actually be comfortable this time of year.  

I miss going to the beach.  I'm not a swimmer or saltwater fisher person.  I just like the ocean and walking along as the tide goes out to find the treasures it's left.

Jewellann

So what kind of van, age, price etc?  I'm on the other end of the country (BC) but don't have a van yet, and am overwhelmed at decisions as far as choices like getting a minivan for mileage and stealth, all the way to an extended Ford E350 window van for room, and everything in between!   :huh:

It's a pain being in limbo on the decision.

Glad that you are enjoying your decision so far.

Congrats on making the leap and living the dream!! Looking forward to following your journey (with pics of course)!!

Welcome to "Those that live on wheels"!

TJB
73* here on the southern Maine coast today! Nova Scotia is due east of me but they get a boost from the Gulf Stream.

The temps here are in the mid 20s so it's hot for this area lol.
The van is a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. I paid 400 for it. Just needs brakes and muffler fixed. I'm waiting on money now to get it all done.
I will be heading out to fort mac to see my oldest son once things get done here. This is where I grew up so I'm familiar with the beaches that allow overnight parking so I'm doing pretty good. My other two boys now are considering joining me so I may need a bigger rig sooner than I planned, but they are back and forth so I'm not looking at anything unless plans are soliid lol.
I haven't stayed in the city let because I don't have covering for the windows just across the back of the front seats. I need a few more things before I can park and still have privacy. So far beach is working out.
You can follow my journey on YouTube, Canadian Nomad Diary. I post videos when I'm around internet. I hope to upgrade my cell service once necessities are taken care of first.
So far I am really enjoying it and the dogs are having a great time too ?

Cover those windows cheap with some
cardboard . Look for at Home Depot or Lowes , probably free!

A can of black spray paint on one side and another can of white on the other side will absorb or reflect the sun depending on your situation.

A roll of packing tape will hold 'em up if your windows wont allow a friction fit.

Latest posts