Water leaking from all four jug lids!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I carry 20 gallons of water in my van, in four 5-gallon stackable jugs.  To my amazement, they all four leak water around their large screw-on cap (shown below). WHY????[/font]

LidOn.jpg

LidOff.jpg

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I can't see the problem. The top rim seems smooth, and each cap has a rubber washer inside to seal over that smooth rim.  But when shaking down the road, water keeps bouncing out around the caps!  How is this happening???[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If I didn't need to screw the caps on and off often, I'd use lots of teflon tape. But I do remove and replace these caps often.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I can't see or figure out how leaking is happening, but it's a significant splashout every time.  What can I do???[/font]

I assume you have them sitting with the opening upward until you need to use them, right? If so, you might need to fill them less, leaving room for sloshing without getting near to opening.

It is possible to screw the caps on too tight and deform the plastic and squeeze the rubber gasket to where it doesn’t seal. Try flipping the rubber gasket over if possible or try putting a layer of plastic bag over the spout then screwing the lid down lightly till it touches the surface of the spout. Do not fill them completely as the water comes out of the faucet cold and will expand and the pressure will force it past the gasket. Leave at least a inch or two of air in the jug as air can compress where water can’t. I need to see a picture of the rubber gasket inside the cap. There should be an indentation where the lip of the spout touches the rubber gasket but not too much and definitely no cuts or places it no longer is touching. People tend to try to tighten them too tight and even tighter making it leak even more. You may need to replace the rubber gasket.

I have the same kind of water jugs.
I put plastic over the opening on mine, but also one of them lost the rubber gasket and I had to make a new one. no leaks yet. Maybe that is what you can do. Make a thicker (not to thick) new rubber casket and not tighten it down to much. Mine leak from the tiny air hole thingy sometimes. I have to tap it down a bit harder with something usually a rock. I have to store it, driving down the road, on its edge/side so not leaking is important. One of them has a faucet thingy and again rides on its side/edge. I had to make a good gasket for that too. I used a not to thick foam thing I had in the garage. and then set it inside my house so I could watch it for a few days. No leaks.

I have never found a plastic container that didn't leak. weather it's for gas or water in my experience they will all leak.

a couple of things I have done in the past,
only fill them 3/4 full. this usually works on all but the roughest roads.
take plastic wrap remove the leaky cap put the plastic wrap on the opening and reinstall the cap.

hope this helps.

highdesertranger

CosmickGold said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I can't see or figure out how leaking is happening, but it's a significant splashout every time.  What can I do???[/font]

I had this problem (different brand than you have), and realized I was over-tightening the cap, which was, IMO, way too easy to do. Wrote to the seller and got replacement washers. Didn't even have to pay.

So far, so good. Going to ask them for a couple extra, since I KNOW I or someone else will eventually over-tighten them again.

The EVA fun foam sheets sold in craft aisles make good gasket washer material. It is a closed cell foam and does not ansorb water. Easy to cut with scissors, not very expensive. Color of the foam does not matter. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann and even some of the Dollar type stores sell it.

In addition to the causes and solutions given here, also, elevation changes as you travel and ascend and descend mountain grades can make the problem much worse. 

Leave an air space at the top of each jug and if they have a little screw-on vent cap, you might try leaving that slightly (very slightly) unscrewed so the jug can 'breathe'.

All the water jugs I have ever had leaked. Some much worse then others.

I recently bought some Scepter jugs so far they haven't leaked laying sideways ? I will let you know in a few more months.

yeah Scepter are top of the line. I have used their fuel jugs but never used their water jugs. did you get the Military ones? a review would be most helpful. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah Scepter are top of the line.  I have used their fuel jugs but never used their water jugs.  did you get the Military ones?  a review would be most helpful.  highdesertranger

I believe they are the “military” ones. They are the standard 20L/5gal ones.

Review-
I bought one a couple of months ago and have been using it under the sink hooked to a small electric pump.
Pros--
The shape, handle and weight distribution is great, they are easy to handle, move and fill. They sit up well and lay down well.
I like the lids.. the wide mouth is enough to reach inside and clean, it has a little opening that works great for a smaller water line.

Cons--
They seem to seal ok, I have not had them on their side to fully test the seals ? I have seen a couple of reviews saying they will leak a bit on their side. They only have 2-3 threads so I would imaging they are not a 100% seal. But they do come with a decent gasket.

Plastic taste, I have cleaned mine and run 10-20 water fills thru it and it still have a small plastic taste.

All and All--- I like them a lot and bought 2 more. Buyer beware there are counterfeits out there. Make sure they state they are “Scepter” and from Canada. You can get a decent discount if you buy 2 at a time some places. 

They are much better then your typical big box store water jugs.

thanks for the review. have you tried a vinegar rinse to get rid of the plastic taste? it has always worked for me. highdesertranger

I will have to try the vinegar.

I was also planing on trying baking soda, but it is has been to cold to be playing around with water here in Colorado lately. lol

When I bought used food grade plastic 55 gallon barrels I was worried about water tasting like plastic until I opened them to find they had been used to transport vinegar! After getting the residue vinegar out no problems.

yes I have found vinegar to work real good for getting the plastic taste of plastic out. highdesertranger

You were right!  The two of you who suggested I was tightening the lids down too much, had the answer!  After reading their suggestions, I tried only tightening the lids to the snug point, and NO MORE LEAKING!!  Not a single drop!

PROBLEM SOLVED!