Vehicle for "Suburban Camping"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak

Reaction score
<span style="font-family: georgia, palatino;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Hi everyone! &nbsp;I am in the process of saving up for a vehicle to live in. &nbsp;I still have to work, so I will be overnighting in Wal Mart parking lots and other places people use for "suburban camping." &nbsp;I have been thinking of a van, but now I am kind of hooked on the idea of finding an old Toyota Chinook which would be more reliable than a van, easier to work on, and get better fuel economy. &nbsp;My concern is&nbsp;<em>stealth</em>; is even a tiny RV like a Chinook a red flag for cops and security guards? &nbsp;Would it be the same as mounting a neon sign on top flashing "I LIVE IN MY CAR"? &nbsp;Any input would be much appreciated. &nbsp;Thanks! &nbsp;Zak...</span></span>

Zak, I&nbsp;wouldn't&nbsp;worry&nbsp;to much about the&nbsp;stealth&nbsp;factor.&nbsp;&nbsp;The reason I say this is&nbsp;because I&nbsp;really don't think there are that many people doing this (van dwelling) for one. Even on this&nbsp;forum&nbsp;(which is&nbsp;specifically&nbsp;geared for this type of life style) there are few who are&nbsp;actually&nbsp;"living the life". &nbsp;I&nbsp;honestly&nbsp;don't&nbsp;think the general population has a clue that there are people doing this. I really&nbsp;believe if you use some common&nbsp;sense and keep it low key you won't be hassled, no matter what you&nbsp;choose.&nbsp;&nbsp;I&nbsp;truly&nbsp;believe&nbsp;the&nbsp;majority&nbsp;of the public are&nbsp;concerned&nbsp;about there every day life and unless you really stand out, you wont even&nbsp;register&nbsp;to them.&nbsp;<br><br>Btw...There are so many places to park and out of them all&nbsp;Walmart&nbsp;has got be be one of my least favorite.

If you're really worried about stealth, then ditch the tent. Pop a tent and immediately you'll gain unwanted attention. The canvas will also bleed light both ways (in and out). Those Chinooks are nice, but based on the same chassis you can find plenty of old Dolphins around. Black the windows out on one of these and no one will know you're inside fixing dinner and watching your favorite program.

2 cents

It is easy to say that you will fly under the radar until your moving around a given city everyday. I start to think everyone including the cops is watching every move you make.&nbsp;Will you be in one location ? Is the Walmart welcoming to overnighters ? I've spent about 6 years in two different RV's in one Colorado town. The first RV was a 21' Sunrader that I parked on a private properties. One location was a gym located in a small office park, never had any trouble. Not sure if the cops even patrolled the parking lot. The second was a farm property owned by a church. Located next door to the church that I worked at it offered a locker room and laundry. My greatest problem was not having shade to keep the RV cool during the day.<br>My second camper years later was a Ford ranger with a pop top Chinook. I no longer had access to the church property so I split my time between Walmarts. I also would stay in a local parking lot in a small strip mall. When the Original Walmart in the center of town was moved to the new super Walmart location just outside of town the management also moved about. Now the newer manager was cracking down on the overnighters at his location passing out notices that Walmart only allows 3 overnight stays at any location. This put additional pressure to move and be in a different location every night. This added to the amount of fuel used to criss cross town every day.<br>As I plan on returning to to the area I'm looking into a third vehicle.

I don't know what a Chinook is, but I full-time in a cargo van, and don't have any issues wherever I go, suburban or not.&nbsp; I agree Stealth isn't really a big deal, it's about blending in with the area.&nbsp; So you don't for instance want to get a 40year old RV that's falling apart and park it in Beverly Hills.&nbsp; If you get a 40yr old RV, park it where other old RV's are.<br><br>If you are in a Cargo Van, park where other Cargo Van's are.<br><br>Also, there is something to be said for rotating around a few different spots, so you aren't in the same spot for days on end, it's a good way to attract attention.<br><br>Also, I agree about being 'light-tight' as it were, you don't really want to go glaring light onto the street, it's a sure fire way to get recognized as a van dweller.<br><br>I wish you lots and lots of successes on your adventure!<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

x2 on the dolphin and x3 on no exposed lights. &nbsp;I've met a few people who have those and they are&nbsp;definitely awesome little RV's. &nbsp;&nbsp;Before I bought my box van I tented out of my car for 3 years in Boston and its suburbs and had very few problems (totally a not okay thing to do there, and cops are very unfriendly when they find you). &nbsp;Tara's point about blending is spot on, and once you start looking you will realize there are many more places to camp in plain sight than you ever thought (for any type of vehicle). &nbsp;Just whatever you pick, stay with your element, as long as you don't get any second looks you'll be fine.

I'm in my 5th week of this road trip and in my bus stealth isn't even a consideration. &nbsp;I find myself rotating between Lowes and Home Depot (free wifi!), Walmart, truck stops, public boat ramps, etc. &nbsp;One nap in the bus lasted a little longer than I intended at a public beach and a very nice policeman rapped on my window, checked my ID, and suggested that although in that community it wasn't legal to overnight at Walmart, I wouldn't be bothered if I did.&nbsp;<br><br>I think keeping ourself neat and respectable in appearance, our vehicles relatively clean, and giving respectful and polite responses to LEO's is key to this lifestyle.

Depends on where you live.<br><br>Some cities and suburbs are actively looking to run out people who lives in their vehicles because people camp out in their vans, cars, RV's, etc...taking up customers' parking spaces, eyesore to residents, dumping trash, dumping dirty water, congregating, etc.&nbsp; They'll call the cops, who'll keep ticketing you. Once you can't keep up with paying the tickets, they'll tow. <br><br><br><br>This guy has a whole YouTube channel, documenting police harassing him regularly because he wants to park a giant RV in sunny Santa Barbara (I think). This is obviously where stealth is much needed. <br><br>Vandwellers in conversion vans or van-type RV's,&nbsp; who drives around a lot are seen as tourists and are usually welcomed because they potentially brings tourist dollars to the community. But you're staying long term to work your job. That Chinook will stick out like a sore thumb...worse than a conversion van, as it's rare. If you live in the boonies, it may be ok. But in a higher income area, then it's going to be a problem. <br><br>Most average neighborhoods do not allow parking your own, brand new, $100,000 RV on the road in front of your house and not even in your own driveway. Those with HOA's are 10x more strict. That Chinook looks like an ugly RV. Just my opinion though. <br><br>In the suburbs and medium sized cities, I would look for a white conversion van peel off all decals, and paint it more white....to maybe blend in better with the White Cargo Work vans....but not look like you're up to no good, being purposefully stealthy and hiding, by living in a cargo van.....then rotate parking around apartment complexes with street parking. I don't think you can keep camping at Walmarts. The 2 Walmarts in my area are at least 30 miles apart. That's a lot of gas money. <br><br><br><br>

peacetara said:
I don't know what a Chinook is, but I full-time in a cargo van, and don't have any issues wherever I go, suburban or not.&nbsp; I agree Stealth isn't really a big deal, it's about blending in with the area.&nbsp; So you don't for instance want to get a 40year old RV that's falling apart and park it in Beverly Hills.&nbsp; If you get a 40yr old RV, park it where other old RV's are.<br><br>If you are in a Cargo Van, park where other Cargo Van's are.
<br><br>I think this is exactly what being stealthy is. <br><br>It seems that a cargo van is the best bet for stealth. I wouldn't look twice at 2 or 3 cargo vans parking near each other.&nbsp; But 2 conversion vans, yes...instant flag. 3 conversion vans? What are the odds?<br><br><br>

The more people that start doing this, the more difficult its going to be. &nbsp;Especially guys like the one above trying to park his&nbsp;motor-home&nbsp;on a busy street,&nbsp;obviously&nbsp;in an expensive area, more or less permanently - moving every day and coming back doesn't count. &nbsp;The solution will be an overnight parking ban - already in place in a lot of areas including most where I have ever lived. &nbsp;It will be self enforcing like here, because the tow truck guys have pre-approval to tow in certain hours, and can charge whatever they want for you to get your car out. &nbsp;And honestly, I would rather have to deal with the police than with those guys.<br><br>You need to determine where you are likely to want to stay and blend in with that environment. &nbsp;An RV in a industrial area is a big red flag but fits fine at walmart. A white van on a low traffic residential area won't work either. &nbsp;If you want max stealth I would think a low key minivan or SUV is a good option, but then you have pretty limited space. &nbsp;Everything is a trade off.<br><br><br>

MK7 said:
This guy has a whole YouTube channel, documenting police harassing him regularly because he wants to park a giant RV in sunny Santa Barbara (I think). This is obviously where stealth is much needed.
<br>Nope, it's San Diego (where I currently live). I have to say, having watched several of this guy's videos, that he's the single best example I've ever seen of how NOT to deal with the police. While we do have some cops here that get off on their personal power trips, most of the video shows this guy jumping all over police officers that are just doing their jobs. FFS, the cops in the first video told him that they would tow his vehicle if it wasn't moved in THREE days, and he reacted by cursing them out! <br><br>Incidents like this are why people like me have to be extra careful/polite if the police come knocking. I'm currently in a 5th wheel on pvt property but, if I were stealthing it, my nightmare would be a run in with a couple of cops that recently dealt with 'Mr. Attitude'.

Unchained said:
&nbsp; I have to say, having watched several of this guy's videos, that he's the single best example I've ever seen of how NOT to deal with the police.&nbsp;
<br><br>Yea, he certainly has an attitude and fits the description of a grumpy old man. It's uncertain though whether he started out this nasty or because it was due to the cops, constantly trying to enforce the laws and purposefully waking him up at 2am, etc.. There are other videos where they constantly ticket other RV's until they can't pay anymore in order to tow &amp; impound them.<br><br> But people parking and living in RV's &amp; vans is a big problem in such areas of Cali. The neighbors and the businesses are the ones calling the cops and complaining at town meetings. They may smile at you when they pass by, but they really don't want you there. <br><br>Some people say that you don't need stealth, but I don't see how your can get away with RV's, even small ones or conversion vans that squats for extended periods of time. If you have 5-10 spots to rotate and arrive late to sleep and leaving early to prevent detection....then this is being stealthy....very stealthy.