Vedauwoo in Wyoming

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
This is a pretty good summer spot.  It's at 8200' and doesn't get too hot:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=vedauwoo+campground+weather

The CG is really nice and only $10. For me it was only $5 with my old person pass.  There are really amazing rock formations there that  attract climbers from all over. It was probably pretty crowded over the long 4th weekend but I got there Sunday evening and it wasn't crowded for the 2 days I was there.

The limit is 14 days for the CG and 16 for dispersed, so you can spend a month there.

The main drawback is that the water system is NOT working, so you must bring / fetch water.

It's located 15 miles east of Laramie and about 35 miles west of Cheyenne.

The elevation goes up 1000' from Laramie and it is a long, steep climb.  In fact I'm in Cheyenne now nursing my trans that is shifting a little funny after that last climb.

was just checking it out on maps. not a bad looking spot. especially for WY

thanks for sharing. i'll have to keep this in mind next time i am up that way

On grades I like to take the trans out of overdrive. It seems easier on the engine and trans as they don't get as hot.

Thanks for the review, I will be up that way in a couple weeks so I may have to check it out.

How is that word pronounced? "Ved uh woo"?  "Vit DOW woo"? Looks like an Indian name so I have no clue.

Re: your transmission could have gotten hot and blown some fluid out the vent. I had a 2009 Ford E250 and it did that one time. Check the level (usually with the transmission hot and the engine idling) and see if you need fluid.

B and C said:
On grades I like to take the trans out of overdrive.  It seems easier on the engine and trans as they don't get as hot.

Yeah, I've been doing that for last 7,000 miles or so.  I found that the tranny does a pretty good job of kicking down to 3rd. at the right speed, except for some of the steeper grades where I'll do it manually.  I only drive about 60mph and on a grade it will kickdown at 50-55 or so. On some hills I will leave OD off longer as I'm climbing to avoid it kicking down a second time.

tx2sturgis said:
Thanks for the review, I will be up that way in a couple weeks so I may have to check it out.

How is that word pronounced? "Ved uh woo"?  "Vit DOW woo"? Looks like an Indian name so I have no clue.

Re: your transmission could have gotten hot and blown some fluid out the vent. I had a 2009 Ford E250 and it did that one time. Check the level (usually with the transmission hot and the engine idling) and see if you need fluid.

The lady at the ranger station pronounced it 'Vay-da-woo'....??  Maybe just shorten it to VD?

Yeah, that grade was one of just two on this trip where the trans went down into 2nd. so I know it was getting hotter than normal. One of the few times I'd wished I had a trans temp gauge. I have checked the fluid level and it's fine and it's not burnt. The van has 131k on it which isn't bad for a '93 but that is getting up there for a trans. The van is pretty loaded with tools, camp gear and other junk + my 225cc dual-sport Yamaha on the back.

Before this trip I prepped it pretty well by adding a trans cooler and an inline magnetic filter.  The radiator is new also and the engine has never even come close to overheating. I've checked the gauge against an infrard thermometer,too and it's accurate.

I'm staying around Cheyenne for a while where really it's not too hot and the humidity isn't bad at all. As long as I can park in shade, I can keep cool with fans. 

Cheyenne isn't too hilly, so I'm kinda driving easy and feeling out how the trans is doing. Just seems like it may be slipping a little and shifting a little late.

The one shop I've talked to gave me a quote of $3750 for a rebuild. Ain't gonna happen...

The water system at Vedauwoo has been broken for at least 2 years. But there is water available at the nearby Summit Rest Area.

And  Vedauwoo fills up fast on weekends, so it is best to get there before noon.

i also like up the road a bit in Sinks Canyon...sad we won't be travelling this summer :(