Vapor lock or something else?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the "check the dipstick" without specifyiing the oil dipstick.  Worked on cars my whole life.  It really sounds like a fuel pump to me.  Low fuel level and a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm not having enough suction from the fuel tank under load.  Gasoline in the oil is real bad and your engine won't last very long.  Fuel pumps are generally two bolts and two fuel lines (fuel tank line and the line to the carburetor).  If there is gas in the oil, only drive when you absolutely have too.  The bearings could spin leaving you stranded with a broken motor.  Here is hoping the fuel filter fixes it and you get the new to you van very soon.  Best of luck.

B and C said:
Sorry for the "check the dipstick" without specifyiing the oil dipstick.  Worked on cars my whole life.  

That's okay B&C, plumbers do the same thing. They tell you to turn off the water but don't tell you where to look in the house for the main shut off. My favorite home repair book was written by a woman who bought a fixer upper, favorite mainly because she started at the beginning, not in the middle.

OTOH, assuming that someone knows absolutely nothing about anything also gets one in trouble because then you're accused of dumbing it down... :rolleyes:

if it's vapor lock when it stalls take the gas cap off and you should here it suck in a bunch of air

maybe i should read before i type,anyways,make sure your fuel line isnt touching the engine

She's dead. :(

After half an hour taking the thing apart, the fuel filter took us about an hour to find (wasn't where manual said it was), then another hour for him to remove it. In the process of doing so the gas line cracked. It's a hard metal line. He broke off the pieces that cracked an we picked up a straight line at the store and a bending tool. Proceeded to attempt for two more hours without success.

It only occurred to me afterwards to research flexible line to replace hard line, and my initial look seems promising but I'm too exhausted tonight to research more. Got under a vehicle for the first time today and logged a lot of hours under there helping.

Anyone up for giving me the lowdown on fuel line repair/replacement?

Dipstick didn't smell of gasoline that I could tell. Really needs an oil change though.

I am really sorry you have someone that does not know how to work on your van.

I am also sorry for assuming you had the mechanical knowledge that most guys learn from an early age, such as to disconnect holders befor you try to move a metal line.  

To repair a broken metal gas line, you need a tool.  A small hand tubing cutter from a hardware store.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Junior-Tube-Cutter-HDX003/204218579

The tube fits in the c below the base.  You turn the upper wheel to tighten it onto the gas tube, and do a complete turn one way, then back.  Tighten it a little more and repeat.  Soon the pipe falls apart.  

Take that to a auto parts store, and get rubber gas line to fit it, with 4 clamps.  two for each side.  Measure the distance needed, and add at least 6 inches  When you put the line on make sure it fits without sticking out where it will rub or catch on things.

I have a new lap book and am having trouble learning how to use it.  My next post will have the filter locations for your van.   (Just in case)

This shows how to instal the filter.  Location should be on the frame under the drivers door.  Since the line was broken, I told you how to cut it.  If you can make the ends work, all you have to do on that is to cut out the bad spots.  If it is split close to the end, take the part to the parts house and throw yourself on their mercy.   You might be surprised at how they will offer to help.  If they do not have a new part, they can find a used one. 

You might want to ask at your church about finding someone else to help.  (if possible)

I know what a pain that is.  I have been there.  One missouri winter my car had the rear end go out of it.  I had to replace it myself in the snow.  it took me more than a month. 

I wish I was in your area.

I am sorry you are having such problems. Any diagnosis requires correcting or testing "first things first". A few on this thread recommended filters. Don't forget the one in the carburetor. I hope you can find someone else to help with your repairs. It is hard to break a metal fuel line unless something else, such as rust, weakened the metal. Sounds like you have a personal relationship with your helper. I hope things calm and wish you better times.

GotSmart said:
I am really sorry you have someone that does not know how to work on your van.

I am also sorry for assuming you had the mechanical knowledge that most guys learn from an early age, such as to disconnect holders befor you try to move a metal line.  

To repair a broken metal gas line, you need a tool.  A small hand tubing cutter from a hardware store. 

It was the process of attempting to disconnect the holders that broke the metal pipe. He worked on it for an hour trying to get it to budge, and this is what we think weakened the line.

As for me, I'm not a guy...I'm a young woman who spent nearly a decade of her life from teenager on into adulthood confined to a windowless room, fighting to keep her body alive while isolated in extreme physical suffering without palliative care. I learned many things through that --- automotive mechanics wasn't one of them. ;)

Thanks for the info on patching a gas line. I will forward that on.

GotSmart said:

This shows how to instal the filter.  Location should be on the frame under the drivers door.

Watched that video so many times yesterday. The location of the filter wasn't there. We had to remove the front end from the inside, the location was on the opposite side of the carburetor that the manual said it would be, near the passenger's seat. Certainly inaccessible from underneath. We've already found, removed, and replaced the filter, it's now just a matter of fixing the gas line.

With every rule, there is an exception.  You have one.  If a fitting will not come loose, you spray it with WD40, (penetrating solvent)  tap it several times, and let it sit.  repeat several times.  Then try again.  repeat.  There have been things that took several hours to be able to come loose.  Others I had to cut out to have removed.  Patience is the key to that.

I really hope that was the problem.  

Everyone as had different problems.  I spent a couple years working in an ALF and we had several clients sent to skilled facilities to get the care we could not provide. I am glad you have worked out of that situation.

Your problems make mine look small.   

What city are you in?  There might be members that can help with little things, and I do have friends in WA that owe me a favor or two.

Bitty
Sending positive energy to you and your mechanical helper , hopefully the fuel line and filter fix will get that beast running again. I have an in-carb fuel filter too and am NOT looking forward to replacing it , van engines are so crammed in and mostly inaccessible making a ten minute job sometimes take hours to accomplish !
Don't get too down about it , most older vehicles have problems of one sort or another , just take them one at a time and eventually.......it WOIKS !!
We've all played this game too .
I'm replacing a rusted through brake line and trying to bleed the air out by myself ,,,,(WAY easier with a helper but do-able).
Maybe your next vehicle will be a little kinder to ya !
I also wish I could drop by and help ya out , (I'm kinda a ways off though , Maine).
Post your town and you might find someone on the forums that can.......lots of folks mechanically inclined here.

PS There's some stuff called PB Blaster that really works great at loosening up rusted parts

rvpopeye said:
PS There's some stuff called PB Blaster that really works great at loosening up rusted parts

PB Blaster is some good stuff! I call it Peanut Butter Blaster. Lol. There's also Sea Foam Deep Creep, Mr. Twister, JB 80 (but JB 80 stinks), and Gibbs if you can't find PB Blaster. WD 40 is good for what it is, but not so much for breaking loose rusted bolts. It does a great job at removing stickers believe it or not.

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but it was such a good suggestion from rvpopeye that I thought you would get a lot of help from it in future repairs.

wow sorry I didn't include how to change the filter in my last post. on the older GM's with carbs if someone doesn't know how to change the filter they will ruin something every time, your very lucky it wasn't the carburetor. that video that gat smart posted is for a fuel injected van, it does not pertain to yours. as for the fuel line that broke you can buy them ready to go. I think, I know they are available for the trucks, should be the same for a van. a junk yard is another option. btw one for a 350 engine should also work. you could also run a rubber line. make sure your mechanic use a wrench(1") on the carb to gain access to the filter, install the new filter tighten by hand, then just barely snug the fuel filter access plug with the 1" wrench. remember the carb is aluminum it is very easy to strip the threads especially with such a big wrench. now you can reinstall the fuel line. this is also a tricky step. start the threaded nut on the fuel line by hand when you can no longer turn it put your 1" wrench back on the filter access plug and DO NOT let it turn. put your line wrench on the fuel line nut and tighten remember DO NOT let the fuel filter plug move. I hope this helps, if by chance your mechanic messed up the carb already. let me know and I will tell you how to repair it. highdesertranger

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I had to skip town in order to obtain food, mail, escape the heat, etc so I was gone when a rubber fuel line was added, the filter pump was replaced as well simply because it seemed worthwhile to him and was an inexpensive part, but now the starter is out. It'll start perhaps one out of ten times and makes awful sounds. I knew the starter was getting finicky the days prior to this work but now it's become impossible. We know the flywheel has been damaged and it previously ate through several starters due to an engine timing issue, which was apparently fixed.

So the past 4 days I've been living in a borrowed Ford Escape SUV instead. Someone earlier asked when the Sienna minivan was going to be ready...and well the plan was to have had it ready over 3 weeks ago so....I don't know. If it were up to me I'd have taken the Sienna now but with it still held out of reach and my van on the fritz without the option to take it to a mechanic or bring someone else over to fix it, I'm left to make do with what I've got and hope something works out one way or another.

I have always had good luck tearing apart the GM starter solenoids and turning the electrical contact bolt over.  This gave me a fresh electrical contact point.

This sounds strange but once you open it up>>>

Best of luck Bitty, I seem to be not wanted on here by the power that is.

Have a good life.  

John