vanlife, I hardly knew ya!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Doors open, doors close.

I came upon vanlife last year when the corona schmorona hit. 
I had spent the previous 18 months researching various sailboats and was preparing to view and have surveys completed but ofc the restrictions placed on travel prevented that.

So I figured I could be content sailing the deserts and mountains in a land vessel. Thus beginning my journey in understanding the mechanics/societies of the land sailors.

I jumped right in to aquire myself a little bit of that freedom and am now near completed on my 2nd rig and still haven't left the harbor!

LOL... just deleted a big ol spiel about why I'm not going to continue van life. Ain't nobody want to hear that!

Suffice it to say I was presented with an opportunity to get a boat. And while it isn't really large enough (27f) for the blue, it's plenty fine for coastal cruising.

My 2nd build is going up on the sales block!
I intend to finish a few more things but the items I was saving for later the new owner will have to sort out.
In the meantime start counting your dimes and pinching your pennies. Formal listing coming about June 1st.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=42201&pid=536427#pid536427

Well I guess congrats are in order as that is what you really wanted, right. SOOOOOO

Congrats

Highdesertranger

Do what makes you happy, but if VanLife (whatever that means to you) didn't make you happy, i'm not sure that sailing the (not so) open seas will be much better. I think that it sounds good in theory, but it seems more dangerous, more lonely, and less scenic (water water everywhere). Good luck though.

Congrats, if that opportunity presented itself to me, I'd jump on it!
More specs on the boat please!

You don’t have to leave here just because you’re on the boat. It’s still a minimalist life. So do whatever floats your boat. ;)

My wife and I lived on a sailboat for nearly 7 years, albeit, sailing the Caribbean, the similarities are striking. If you don’t like a place, you move, daily chores of fixing or maintenance, so much alike. For living on a 27’, it will be challenging to say the least, no standup room, top speed 6 knots or so, watch the weather extremely close. There used to be a SSB channel, 6215.5, that was a yachties open channels at 0700 or so. It is far too expensive for you to dock in a marina all the time. Try to afford to buy ALL chain for your anchor rode. (2 anchors minimum) Other hints but I am sure you will research that out before raising the hook.

Thanks for the all the support. 

I view the boat this Saturday in Everett, Wa.
An 82 Hunter27.  It is offered up by a friend of a friend and so I am somewhat optimistic that I would get an honest shake on it. The asking of (15) is a bit high but I haven't seen a survey yet sooo. And of course everything costs more in WA.:/.

Was speaking with a friend from this forum who presented a great plan B.  To drive the van to Florida where there is a glut of vessels and for cheap. It's a great idea.. I can save a bit of cash, enjoy the van for a little bit and have great weather off the start. I'm not overly thrilled on spending winter on the Puget Sound... stay up north or have the additional cost of hiring someone to help me take her down to Cali...

Some stellar individuals here that I was hoping to meet and share with., not getting that opportunity is the biggest bummer of switching paces.

I'm going to stay firm on my minimum price for the van. Maybe I'll end up using it part of the year. Either way I'll continue to post and share and seek input. There is a ton of knowledge here that crosses sand and sea and I'm certain to need that access.

Hi ds i lived aboard a 31 foot sailboat in the Pacific Northwest for 6 years. After the first winter even with shore power a ceramic heater and a deisel heater. I moved off in the winter rented a room on shore. It gets damp your shoes grow mold and try to walk away. It is dark and lonely at the docks even lonelier when anchored in an idelic little bay all by yourself. It is great in the summertime, they are expensive to maintain and moorage is not cheap, difficult to just anchor out all the time and a bit isolating hard to come and go in a dingy. Haul outs are yearly, bottom paint, engine repairs sail and other stuff always ask for repair. On a boat that is usually immediate. If you are not an experienced sailor you will have to learn then set your boat up for soloing. All doable but it is not as idelic as I thought going into it however I wouldn’t change the experience. Van dwelling is more comfortable and easier. Unless you have a very large boat docked close to the Center of town. You will still need your van I wouldn’t get rid of I it too fast wait to see how it plays out.

Oh darn. You had a nice build going in your van. Good luck to whatever you end up doing!