Van wall thickness and bulletproofing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothertry

Reaction score
The walls of the Promaster vans and most vehicles in general are very thin.
Is there any way to thicken and strengthen the metal walls from the inside without adding too much weight?

I'm also concerned about stray bullets or direct bullets passing thru the walls.
I've searched for bulletproofing and the options are either expensive (Kevlar costs a lot) or impractical due to weight and material (ceramics and other layered materials).

Does anyone know of any lightweight materials that call be rolled out and glued or attached as sheets?

An initial search turns up "Aramid fabric" but I can't find more specs and reviews on this material.

Further research reveals various unique plastics, metals, foams, metallic foams, etc but most of these seem to be just lab and university research projects and little to no existing actual products that can be bought.

For those with a military background and/or ballistics materials knowledge, what's your opinion on this subject and do you have any suggestions for lightweight affordable bulletproof or bullet-slowing materials?

I will continue to research and will update this thread.

anothertry said:
I'm also concerned about stray bullets or direct bullets passing thru the walls....
I will continue to research and will update this thread.

The right bullet will pierce a tank wall.
If you are so concerned about bullets flying, you are either at the wrong place, or hanging out with the wrong crowd. You got wheels. Get going.

Well theoretically you can be harmed anywhere, not just a major city or area with known crime.
You can also be hurt outside your vehicle even if it was outfitted with expensive kevlar.

If you are aware of the increasing protests, riots, homelessness, etc in the USA and world then it's a subject that is on people's minds especially when you are living "out there" in a vehicle and not a building with thick brick or concrete walls.

I'm just trying to see if there are affordable options for better security which would help some people.
The newer plastic and metal materials appear promising but seem to mostly be prototypes not yet on the market, are sold to certain sectors or are too expensive for the average person.

Armor can be light, effective, cheap - pick any two... ^+1 to remove yourself from the situation, the easiest and cost free solution. Curious, why would you want to position yourself in harms way?

Not sure why you would stay in a place where flying bullets are a concern, but there is no lightweight, inexpensive option for that sort of security. It would be easier to build yourself a bulletproof interior box to lay your bed in rather than treating the whole van.

Your van has wheels for a reason, GTFO of that situation !

highdesertranger said:
I think you need to change locations.  that's what I would do like the first day.  highdesertranger

That would include avoiding the woods during hunting seasons, and the places on public land where bozos go to just shoot at sh!t because woo-hoo!

Bulletproofing is really of 2 different classes; 1. able to withstand pistols; 2. able to withstand rifles.

If you are concerned about merely surviving urban crime, armor rated for handguns will likely be enough. Yeah, rifles see some use by criminals, but the indiscriminate blasting that ends up perforating cars parked nearby are usually handguns, because handguns are concealable and handy to carry around. Thus, criminals usually do their thing with handguns. And handgun ammo is MUCH easier to stop and defeat than rifles.

If you're expecting to drive into an ambush by people dedicated to trying to kill you, like in an actual war or something,...then yes, you need rifle level protection.

Rifle level protection requires AR500 steel. Not only is it heavy, and the amount needed to merely cover your main side panels only and not even the rest of the van will be heavy enough to overload your suspension, but mounting it requires careful welding and structural reinforcement of the body just to keep it on.

Pistol caliber resistance, however, can be achieved with lighter materials, and even cheaper. If you are crafty and dedicated to the project, you could even do it yourself. Here is a video of a DIY armor panel. The video shows it being tested first to prove it is viable and works, then goes on to show how they made it. While the particular sample made was designed as a panel to be worn as body armor, the materials and process can be modified to make larger panels of different dimensions and shapes, such as custom fit panels for inside a van or automobile door?

In 1973 when I first started with a van across country. I had the same worry that one of those ass holes that shoot street signs would shoot my van. After a few nights I no longer worried.

In over 50 years I have had two experiences with vehicles being shot and both were with riffles, a 22 cal short and an AK. Needles to say the 22 short penetrated only the outside door rail on the side door and did not enter the van. The AK went through a passenger car door side rail and fragmented the sheet metal. The only wounds were from sharp metal pieces of the door flying around, neither were deadly but the AK did require hospital visits for both the driver and passenger. I’ve got to be world’s most unlucky person so unless you carry loaded weapons with a trigger pull of less than two pounds, drive a brown van with antlers on the hood or you happen to camp in someone’s marijuana field you should be fine.

Your risk is lower if you stay out of neighborhoods that have a lot of drive-by shootings. also don't camp on land where hunting is going on  during hunting season. if you hear shooting such as someone doing target practice leave and find another place to camp.

If you suffer from a lot of anxiety stay away from caffine and seek a doctor to discuss getting some medication to help reduce it.

Bullet proofing a vehicle is not an easy thing. it needs armor plating and bullet proof glass. you would want to look at the government auction sites to find a used one that was outfitted to have that specifications. but they are much heavier in weight so your gas mileage will suffer.

Perhaps you'd be happier in a converted bank armored truck or armored personnel carrier. :D

ckelly78z said:
Not sure why you would stay in a place where flying bullets are a concern, but there is no lightweight, inexpensive option for that sort of security. It would be easier to build yourself a bulletproof interior box to lay your bed in rather than treating the whole van.
Its a cargo van, your safety does not need to be lightweight.

Vans do not have the engine block to get behind, so you do have to build a safety box. I have two: one is on the floor of the cabin as the promaster has a step down that gets you behind the engine block. 

Second spot is on the rear bed behind a wooden box I use as a bookcase. When filled with books it is a foot thick of stopping. You can get as carried away with this as you want. I also have a bulkhead made of wood, but you can get a steel one.

My safety only covers two directions. So if you are having more of a situation, go to plan A and drive out of there. If you watch much TV you will remember that the drivers seat is unprotected, so drive good and in the right direction. I did that once correctly so I know it can be done.

I camp hosted in a place with frequent gunfire. The old growth trees were a protective for the campers and all. Still scary at times. When the LEOs stopped responding I found a different parking spot. You have wheels.
-crofter

anothertry said:
 . . .
For those with a military background and/or ballistics materials knowledge, what's your opinion on this subject and do you have any suggestions for lightweight affordable bulletproof or bullet-slowing materials?

You might be interested in this:
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

A couple of retired gun enthusiasts shooting a number of different rifle, shotgun, and pistol rounds through different mediums to see how far they penetrate.

Cool site. So layered kevlar beats pistols, and coated steel plate beats rifles. But then you have to wear the vest and only get shot in that one spot. What if you get shot in the leg and bleed out? 

I still think plan A, driving out of there, is better. When you get to an area with cell service you can call it in.
-crofter

Get a bulletproof vest and a military helmet and wear them all the time.
They might make you look weird and impede your sleep a bit, but at least you'll feel safe.
Cheers!

LOL. If you're that worried about stray bullets, then sell the van and move into a bunker.