Van vs travel trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillybean

Reaction score
I thought I wanted a van, but thinking of the conversion overwhelms me. I cannot do it myself, have no skills whatsoever to get the job done unless I am helping someone with physical strength that is all I can offer. lol After seeing some of the videos of people pulling a small camper Im thinking I might go that way. I am single and shy away from buying an older already converted van for the likelihood of breaking down since its old-er. Not that anything else wont break down but its less likely. I watched a video of a woman pulling a TAB, which was the cutest thing Ive ever seen! I dont need alot of room and pulling with a reliable Toyota or Ford truck gives me peace. I used to have horses and pulled a horse trailer for years so pulling an empty trailer would be a piece of cake. Anyone have something small they pull and love??

It's a budget issue, among other things. The cost of an already-converted van vs. the cost of a travel trailer AND a tow vehicle. Given the same general budget (I assume you have one) you'd probably end up with a truck that's older and more used than a van, because most of your money would go for the cute T@B.

I got a van because I didn't want to go outdoors to get to my bed if I pulled over late at night. I'm also getting a converted cargo trailer to use as an art and sewing room. It has a queen sized bed in it (folds up on the wall) but my bed will be the one in the van. It is a discobed double decker cot and. I sleep on the top bunk and use the lower bunk for storage right now.

Like you, I don't have carpentry skills for fixing my van up into a nice home. A retired pastor at my church built a nice floor in the van so I could get started. There's a lot left to do but I've been living in it since July 2. It will get better over time. I recently found a small antique dresser that I'll refinish for my kitchen.

The biggest possible advantage to a van is little or no setup and being able to fit in a regular parking space if you are one person and your lifestyle can fit in a van they work well. For those of us that require more room and want to go places a van loaded down with all it takes for full time living, RVs make that possible if outfitted properly. What you require to be happy is what will determine what works for you, good luck finding out what that is!

The upside to a trailer is leaving it in a spot to sightsee/get groceries, or if you have mechanical problems with your vehicle...you will still have living quarters with a trailer., not to mention more living space.

For the price of a TAB, you can do some looking around, you may also like Lance trailers

We have both, travel trailer and van. During shoulder seasons and summer, we travel exclusively in the van. Wintertime, we stay in the trailer as it is easier to stay warm, even in Southern Arizona and New Mexico. The van is only marginally comfortable down in the lower 20s with the Wave 3 heater on. I can't leave it on while sleeping so I have a hard time motivating myself to get out of the warm, down-filled bed in the morning.
Ted

^^^We use an old motorhome in the summer or a camper trailer in the winter as a home base most of the year as we still work seasonally and a homemade trailer or truck topper to travel in the spring and fall. Seems we are always moving! We have spent most of our lives trying to figure out what works best for us and have really enjoyed it! LOL!!!

Thanks everyone, I have a budget yes, and I cant do both. ;) lol so will be doing some more research to find out what is best for me and my needs. Id love to get a van, but the conversion part stumps me, I would probably do the insulation since ive seen it on the videos but the flooring, electricalj and solar are way beyond my capacity to get the job done. Finding someone (unless the local rv dealer might know someone) is the overwhelming part. Id love to just buy a few years old Ford Transit high top and have someone do it for me but we will see. Blessings everyone!

One idea might be to find an older van that is already converted like I did. It isn't the conversion I would do if I were starting fresh, but it is working for me now as I work through what I need and what I want. I am not good with trailering :) So the van slips into a normal parking spot, I don't have to drop a vehicle to go to town, and it fits even in tent sites for the lower rates.

Solar for dummies is what I bought - https://inergytek.com/collections/kits

I did not want to wire anything, drill anything, worry about separate components like charge controllers and inverters, and I couldn't mount it on my conversion van. Yes, it's a pain to lug panels in and out each day/night for safe keeping, but I've gotten more efficient after two weeks doing it. Do make sure that you have a generator of some kind in addition, if you REQUIRE to have power. I work while on the road, and I had two days with little to no sun during the work week. I thought 600 watts would be enough and it was not, for my electronics required for work. Thankfully, I had made friends with a camp host and a fellow camper, and they allowed me to plug into their power. I was in a campground for the initial run and I am glad I went that route.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Forget the van to live in.It's always best to use things as they are designed to be used.

I'm allergic to towing anything of any size. I can DO it - but I sure don't LIKE it.

So for me, it was a van.

Yes, I wish I had more room. But I love my van, it's so cozy.

As for expense, well you can spend thousands on converting a van. But you don't have to.

Here's a couple of example of how cheap it can be.
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html

BTW, you SHOULD start out cheap and simple, IMO. Unless you've lived in any kind of RV for awhile, you have no idea what YOU need to be comfortable.

I’ve been going back and forth about van vs Class C.

Van -better in gas.
Van - can park anywhere
Van- stealth factor if needed
Van- configured to suit.
Van- if needed and if purchasing a van that is capable, you can tow a cargo trailer or a camper later if decide that the van alone is not enough.

Class C- more room store way more than you probably really need.
Class C- built in appliances and systems cost a lot to have repaired.
Class C- poor mpg and cant park it easily wherever you want to go.

So..., now I have to choose the right van. I already go camping in a mini van. For me I feel that a long based cargo is what will fit all my needs.

Currently dealing with which one.

Heard pro masters can be temperamental.

Nissans have great warranty but only one length.

Don’t know a hole lot about fords but I know they cost more.

Sprinters. Way out of my price range and I don’t know a thing about diesels.

Chevy express... everything good but no high top.

I’m leaning on getting the Chevy. I don’t really need to stand up. And I’m only 5’5” so I won’t be too terribly bent over.

Would love to here anyone’s thoughts or experiences with what they chose for a rig.