Van Furniture

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephiro499

Reaction score
Are there places besides sportsmobile that do van conversions?&nbsp; I see ads for carpenters advertising their services on craigslist.&nbsp; Do you think they could build the furniture needed?&nbsp; How much would it cost? &nbsp;&nbsp; <br> I was initially put off from DIY but I saw the 'easy van conversion' on this site and was inspired by it.&nbsp; It seems like you could just use modular/house furniture and get by just fine.&nbsp; <br> A roadtrek or similar sounds like a great idea but they are not plentiful in the north east(PA) from my searches on cragislist.&nbsp; There is an abundance of vehicles in CA, WA, OR, NM, AR; I guess basically anyplace where year round camping is more prevalent.&nbsp; I would have to drive hours just too look at one.&nbsp; I'm also amazed at the people who post things to the worldwide internet with 3 pictures and think that is sufficient.&nbsp; Did it ever occur to them they are advertising to the entire nation and the first question out of my mouth on the phone is 'what condition is X in'?&nbsp; Those pictures will tell the tale you can not tell over the telephone.&nbsp; <br>

Watch for van conversions that are routinely parked at auto body shops. They are likely to be owned by an employee, who might be interested in doing such for others in their spare time.

For my perfect van I had to fly from Seattle to Salt-lake City UT. and drive it back... Seems nothing is easy these days but on the other hand things are not impossible... Also furniture is very debatable, considering a 5 gal. bucket works for me as a in van chair (furniture)....<br>

I think that if more people could build stuff like sportsmobile ( or enter your favorite brand here) , you would see more stuff like sportsmobile ( or brand x) for sale out there. The great part about building what you want is that YOU built it. You know how it works, and it's level of quality. I have seen some fantastic builds, and some very basic ones. It goes back to getting what you want , along with your skill level ( not to mention how deep are your pockets.) I am a builder and remodeler. My cabinets were take outs that I saved when I was hired to replace them, including the cool angled one behind the passenger seat. My bed is a sheet of 3/4" plywood and 2x4 's that were leftovers. It is hinged at the wall to allow it to fold out of the way when I need the extra cargo space. I tinted the windows myself with so-so results. I also installed the 8k lb hitch, stereo, and the icing on the cake was a house battery and roof vent. Everything else ( 12v Coleman cooler, propane fridge, HF 45 w solar etc ) was " off the shelf" stuff I bought and installed or modified. For less than $3k( including buying the bus), I have a very useable van that I can put an engine block on the bed if I like , or fold everything out of the way and carry an entire bathroom or kitchen, AND tow my Kubota backhoe. It is exactly what I need, a dual purpose vehicle that can do forest service roads without fear of scratches, and is quite comfortable for me to go camping or to work out of town. And it's not a sportsmobile.
Les

sephiro499 said:
I'm also amazed at the people who post things to the worldwide internet with 3 pictures and think that is sufficient.&nbsp; Did it ever occur to them they are advertising to the entire nation and the first question out of my mouth on the phone is 'what condition is X in'?&nbsp; Those pictures will tell the tale you can not tell over the telephone.&nbsp; <br>
<br><br>Some people are just oblivious with sales &amp; marketing and or imbedding linked codes from external picture hosts as you are with van furniture &amp; conversions. <br>