USB mosquito traps for van or SUV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psartman

Reaction score
I had a shakedown cruise in my small SUV camping rip this week. The good news- the Napier Sportz Cove hatchback tent and the window screens really kept the mosquitos out at the buggy camp site by the river. The bad news? They also kept the bugs in that had flown in and been trapped while I was setting up with the hatchback and doors open. It was a sweaty. night of bad sleep.

I did some research and found that there are many USB-powered devices that are supposed to attract and trap bugs (not zap them). Does anyone have experience with these? One that gets promoted a lot is BuzzBGone. There are also several models of Katchy on Amazon. Not looking for a big bright noisy wide area device, just something compact and energy efficient that will trap mosquitos that have snuck into my small Mazda CX-5 SUV (maybe total 150 cubic feet with tent attachment?) The small ones are designed to attract with a UV light and a fan, I'm concerned that they might be too bright and/or noisy. 

Thoughts?

I bought this one: Bug Zappers, Electronic Indoor Mosquito Killer Lamp, Insect Killer, Safe USB Powered Mosquito Zapper LED Lamp with Built in Fan Mosquito Catcher Trap for Home Kitchen Bedroom Patio Yard Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3Z2QB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MxVlFbGRV6C2P

I’ve have used it a couple of times and I’m not sure if it works. Bugs are gone by the morning and I don’t seem to get bit, but I have never found any bug bodies. There is no clean out drawer either. Unless it is completely vaporizing the little buggers, I can’t tell if it works...

My friend has one called Stinger Indoor Household Insect Trap that worked well, but I don’t think it is sold anymore.

These are USB powered with a colored LED light to attract and a fan to suck, trap, and dehydrate the flying bugs.

ok here is what I was told when I was a wee lad. mosquitoes are not attracted to UV light, mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 and body heat. therefore the UV bug traps do not work on mosquitoes.

also you don't want to be looking at a UV light all the time. you really don't want to look at them at all.

they do make CO2 generators mosquitoes traps. I have no idea if they work.

highdesertranger

I do know that skeeters (and most other bugs) don't like the wind. I always just keep a fan blowing and it seems to do the trick. YMMV

Ken in Anaheim said:
I do know that skeeters (and most other bugs) don't like the wind. I always just keep a fan blowing and it seems to do the trick.        YMMV

My experience as well. My OPOLAR usb fan produces plenty of air movement when it is pointed directly on me. Which is handy, because warm nights and mosquito season often coincide.

There are essential oils that will repell insects including mosquitoes. Spray some around before setup should help. I like those incense coils. Set a couple of those up before set up. Can leave them burning all night outside tent if you also buy the the metal container.

Latest posts