USA Eclipses: Oct 2023 and April 2024 (pics welcome!)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have seen several of them. The first one in was the 1950s. I saw the one in 2017, I just had to walk outside in the parking lot. I have seen lunar eclipses as well. But I still would not drive hundreds of miles to see one.

Maybe I am just spoiled as an eclipse truly can’t hold up to seeing the Northern lights in Alaska with 5 curtain layers that were flashing brilliant colors for hours of time. See it out in the wilderness where there is total dark sky? Now that is worth traveling to see! But most nomads will not experience that as it cannot been seen in the land of midnight sun in the summer months. Would you travel a long distance to see that? Some people do. I did not have to I lived in Alaska.
I want to see the northern lights soooo much. Glad u got to experience that.

All those years back in the 80's driving trucks across the northern states and I never saw the Aurora.

Chances are, it could have been visible, but cruising along at 3AM across Montana (and others) in a big rig, it just didn't occur in the thought processes of a driver, and we just did not have the technology back then to even be aware of the possibility that it might be visible.

Today is different, we know about Auroras and Eclipses in advance. We are lucky to be able to make choices of what we would like to see.

All those years back in the 80's driving trucks across the northern states and I never saw the Aurora.

Chances are, it could have been visible, but cruising along at 3AM across Montana (and others) in a big rig, it just didn't occur in the thought processes of a driver, and we just did not have the technology back then to even be aware of the possibility that it might be visible.

Today is different, we know about Auroras and Eclipses in advance. We are lucky to be able to make choices of what we would like to see.
Right. I used to use an app that told you when it was appearing and where. Sometimes it appeared in southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois, but I was living too far south (border of Kentucky/Illinois) to catch them. Eventually I gave up on the app... and the FB page. Waah. Waah.

Maybe I am just spoiled as an eclipse truly can’t hold up to seeing the Northern lights in Alaska with 5 curtain layers that were flashing brilliant colors for hours of time. See it out in the wilderness where there is total dark sky?
OK you won, I have seen only one eclipse, 98%, so this is my last chance to see a 100% one.
Yes, I would like to see the Norther Lights too. But in a van, do I have to wait till deep freeze winter in AK?

lol. Yep I'm physiologically scarred for life. And I LIKE it!

(proud eclipse viewer!)

👀
I suspect you just consider it to be entertaining. 🥰
OK you won, I have seen only one eclipse, 98%, so this is my last chance to see a 100% one.
Yes, I would like to see the Norther Lights too. But in a van, do I have to wait till deep freeze winter in AK?
Keywords “University of Alaska Northern Lights viewing”

You do need it to be dark to see the Northern Lights and in summertime it does not get dark enough that far north to see them in their full glory. If you like driving in snow and camping in icy cold weather you can go to Alaska in the winter. People do drive around up there in winter time.

Last edited:
The problem now is that the weather forecast along the path of totality in Texas is not looking good for eclipse viewing.

Of course that can change so I will be looking at the predictions every day.

Keeping my fingers crossed.