Upon leaving what is more than a house, but a home.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<p>&nbsp;I like where I live.&nbsp; Sorry your place was a piece of crap, Bryce, mine isn't.&nbsp; And I enjoy my memories, Stargazer, but I'm not living in the past.<br><br>I'm convinced now.&nbsp; I'm not walking away, I'm not starting a new life.&nbsp; I guess I never fully appreciated the life I have right here.&nbsp; I don't need to go live in any kind of vehicle on BLM land to know that it is not better for me.&nbsp; Everybody gets to make their own choices and the choice one makes doesn't make it right for everyone.&nbsp; Only a fool would believe that.&nbsp; There's not a thing noble about running away to start a new life when there's nothing wrong with the one you have.<br><br>Wow, I can't tell you how thankful I am for some of the replies on this thread.&nbsp; I'm reminded of the lines from Joni Mitchell's&nbsp; "Big Yellow Taxi":<br><br>"Don't it always seem to go<br> That you don't know what you've got<br> Till it's gone<br> They paved paradise<br> And they put up a parking lot"<br><br>I can now appreciate what I've got before it's gone, or before I would stupidly walk away from it.&nbsp; I guess I'm done posting.</p>

A very wise decision on your part Staying Put. This wandering life is not for everyone. Anyone considering it should look hard into themselves and question their reasons for do it. Getting a van and trying it out for awhile or just using it for vacations is a good idea if anyone on the edge. For you it may just be a good way to vacation inexpensively and a good backup plan if you have to move. There's no need for you to stop posting though. This forum has so much information about vehicle dwelling and so many helpful members. You don't have to be living in a van fulltime to learn and contribute.

Nothing lasts forever. You have to face reality and not make it more difficult than it needs to be. In case you haven't noticed, recent history is full of stories about folks who have been forced to move and many of those involve families. At least you won't have young kids to worry about when the time comes to move on. Recall the "Grapes of Wrath" and other stories about the upheavals during the Great Depression. Read some of the stories of countless immigrants who were forced to leave "the old country" for one reason or another and who never again saw their families or homeland. You will hardly be unique and you'll have your memories so just make the best of it instead of brooding about it and maintaining a woe-is-me outlook.