Trying to get my toes wet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggirl003

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been somewhat of a lurker on this forum for months now. I am married and my husband has no desire to attempt this lifestyle so I know that it will be awhile before I will be able to do this full-time, but I would like to start to try it anyway.(Thank you Bob for your wonderful blog post today regarding this topic.) I had hoped that I would be able to make my first leap into trying car living this fall, but it has been delayed until May 2017. While waiting until May will help me financially, I am disappointed that I will not be able to attend the RTR in January 2017 because it sounds like the RTR would be very beneficial to me both in meeting other vehicle dwellers and in learning many new things about this lifestyle. Reading Sueanne's blog about how she lives in her Prius for several months even though her husband does not come with her has me thinking that is the path I will try. At this moment, I am thinking that in May I will venture out in my Toyota Rav 4. I am not yet ready to buy a new vehicle, and from reading other people's posts and watching Bob's videos showing how other women have managed, I believe that the Rav 4 is a good starting vehicle for me. My car is 10 years old, but still feels new to me. It is well maintained and has low mileage. I have experimented with sleeping in it and feel that it is very comfortable. Since it is only a 4 cylinder, I don't think I could tow anything, but I could put a roof carrier or solar panels on the roof and also a carrier on the trailer hitch ( that I currently have on it from a jetski that I used to tow short distances).
I will keep reading this forum and planning.

Best of luck to you, having to wait isn't so bad, gives you more time to plan and maybe find out about a few things you need..Rob

ggirl! Welcome to the CRVL forums! I'm glad you have time to plan. Maybe your husband will get excited as you move forward

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard ggirl003!
Hmmm sounds like a secret agent ID!

Have fun getting those tootsies dampened!
You already know the RAV is comfy sleeping and 4 cyl should be fuel friendly too.

Hi, I am totally new, just curious how would you be handling your food and using the bathroom.  I want to fly to AZ and rent something but so far I do not know how to deal with the other stuff.

nadine said:
Hi, I am totally new, just curious how would you be handling your food and using the bathroom.  I want to fly to AZ and rent something but so far I do not know how to deal with the other stuff.

A one burner butane stove can be had for about $15.00 in Quartzite. I think the people at K&B had a deal last year - 4 cans of butane and the stove for $20. Hit the flea market  or a goodwill store in and buy a frypan and a small saucepan. Cutlery, plates and cooking utensils are all cheap at the Dollar Stores.

I was surprised but W/M had the bucket toilet seat 'Luggable Loo' for under $20.00 Add some cat litter, some garbage bags and you're done.

You'll need to buy either some cheap towels from W/M or some yard fabric to cover the cargo windows and a sun shade from the dollar store for the front windshield.

Total shopping time before getting to Quartzite - maybe a couple of hours if you have the lists already made up.... :D And all less than a $100.00 I'd guess.

Oh and don't forget to pick up a lawnchair at W/M - under $15.00

ggirl003 said:
Hello all. I have been somewhat of a lurker on this forum for months now. I am married and my husband has no desire to attempt this lifestyle so I know that it will be awhile before I will be able to do this full-time, but I would like to start to try it anyway.(Thank you Bob for your wonderful blog post today regarding this topic.) I had hoped that I would be able to make my first leap into trying car living this fall, but it has been delayed until May 2017. While waiting until May will help me financially, I am disappointed that I will not be able to attend the RTR in January 2017 because it sounds like the RTR would be very beneficial to me both in meeting other vehicle dwellers and in learning many new things about this lifestyle. Reading Sueanne's blog about how she lives in her Prius for several months even though her husband does not come with her has me thinking that is the path I will try. At this moment, I am thinking that in May I will venture out in my Toyota Rav 4. I am not yet ready to buy a new vehicle, and from reading other people's posts and watching Bob's videos showing how other women have managed, I believe that the Rav 4 is a good starting vehicle for me. My car is 10 years old, but still feels new to me. It is well maintained and has low mileage. I have experimented with sleeping in it and feel that it is very comfortable. Since it is only a 4 cylinder, I don't think I could tow anything, but I could put a roof carrier or solar panels on the roof and also a carrier on the trailer hitch ( that I currently have on it from a jetski that I used to tow short distances).
I will keep reading this forum and planning.

Welcome to the forum.

Waiting sucks but it better than tossing it all in a box and heading out unprepared.

Hey gg - I think you've made a good choice. I've made the same decision for the same reason, and under similar circumstances. However I dithered for 5 years - and created nothing but difficulties. You should do fine. Bob, or the Forum will be a big help. Happy Trails, M

Welcome...go ahead and get those feet wet, you might find the water just fine. All the best.

Thank you for the encouragement and welcome from so many of you. I am trying to decide what items to purchase now in preparation for May and what items I should hold off on. Almost daily, I put the Whynter 45 quart fridge into my online shopping cart at HomeDepot.com. (I REALLY WANT the 62 quart dual zone fridge, but have decided it is just too big and heavy for me and my Rav 4) I think the 45 qt would be a good purchase for me since I already take a cooler filled with ice packs with me whenever I am leaving the house for more than an hour. Even when I have held jobs in offices with refrigerators, I always preferred to have MY OWN cooler. LOL I just can't decide if the fridge purchase should come before other purchases. 
I will continue to read the threads on this forum and keep asking questions in various threads.
Thanks again, everyone!