Truck tire suggestions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my365roses

Reaction score
We bought a dodge ram 3500 dually and now need new tires.  We are towing a 31ft TT.  What would be a good tire for full time towing? The current ones are size LT235/80R17 load/speed rating of 120/117.

I would get the same size and weight rating, I would also get a made in the USA tire from Goodyear, Cooper, BFGoodrich those are my top three picks. highdesertranger

Hear good things about Cooper Discoverer A/T3
The Discoverer A/T3 tire from Cooper is a fusion of tire technology, rubber compounding and engineered design that produces a tire that can perform in all types of terrains. With a rubber compound that enhances wet traction while reducing rolling resistance, the A/T3 features an aggressive tread that performs off-road without hurting highway performance.

BFGoodrich makes a commercial T/A tire however not too impressed with the longevity overall.

I have the same truck with the same size tires. When I get new tires I'm going to go with Toyo AT2s as I ran them on my last Ram, which was single rear wheel, and was very happy with them. If I didn't already have experience with the Toyos I'd probably run BFG all terrains.

my365roses said:
We bought a dodge ram 3500 dually and now need new tires.  We are towing a 31ft TT . . .

You didn't specify how you are using your rig:
  • paved roads only
  • paved roads and maintained gravel roads
  • paved, maintained and unmaintained gravel and dirt roads
  • all of the above and single lane offload 'roads'
Makes a difference on what tire to get.  I added the last one because I have seen very large trailers in some very gnarly places.

The more aggressive the tire the more road noise, poorer milage and life you will get out of them.  I agree with HDR: stick with the OE tire size/weight/speed ratings.

-- Spiff

One reason I posted the Cooper Discoverer A/T3, covers a variety of terrain.

Spaceman Spiff raises the key question that needs to be answered when deciding on a tire. As for brands it kind of becomes a Dodge/Chevy/Ford thing because everyone is going to have their favorites. Once you define what kind of tire you need for your intended usage, you might go to one of the tire dealer websites which often breakdown the differences between tire manufacturer and sometimes reviews. Personally I tended to go with Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Michelin, Cooper & General brands over the years. My truck is now 2-years old with very low mileage and the original tires (Nexen). They have been ok for our use so far, but I am planning to replace them by the end of the year when we will be going fulltime and plan on doing considerably more boondocking. So I will be looking at all terrain style tires to better handle some off pavement roads, snow etc.

Latest posts