Towing with Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagari

Reaction score
Has anyone towed a travel trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I'm in search of new tow vehicle and they seem to be a cheaper 4WD vehicle in my current location.  I think the weights are fine, but I'm concerned about the 110" wheelbase of the Cherokee. It's much shorter than a 140" wheelbase of a pickup I normally use.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8, 4WD
GVWR 6,100
GCWR 11,450
Max Tow  6,500
Max Tongue 650
Max Frontal 60 sqft

17' travel Trailer (19' length, 7' width)
Dual axle
Dry Weight 3,100
GVWR 5,500
Tongue Wt 350-550??
* I will likely never have 2,400 lbs of cargo even with full tanks

My general rule of thumb when it comes to towing campers with SUV's is to cut the manufacturers weight limit in half. So if Jeep says the Cherokee is rated for 6500 lbs towing, i'd say around 3250 lbs is more realistic when it comes to campers. Reasons being campers are tall and wide and catch a lot of wind which in turn transfers to the tow vehicle and can easily push them around and make for a less than pleasant towing experience. If you plan on towing the trailer a lot and/or long distances I might even cut that weight down a little further.

squatting dog2 said:
Never had one. Here is a link that may be helpful. 
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Grand_Cherokee/2006/transmission/

Only major thing I ever heard was some kind of trans issue. A further search turned up this link.
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/jeep-cherokee/TN29SIGGHM6JD0TBT

Thanks for links. I've been using Car Complaints to find better than average years for vehicles. Every vehicle, every year have some issues. The 2001-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokees seem to have fewer complaints. I did see the possible transmission issues.

Every Road Leads Home said:
My general rule of thumb when it comes to towing campers with SUV's is to cut the manufacturers weight limit in half.  So if Jeep says the Cherokee is rated for 6500 lbs towing, i'd say around 3250 lbs is more realistic when it comes to campers.  Reasons being campers are tall and wide and catch a lot of wind which in turn transfers to the tow vehicle and can easily push them around and make for a less than pleasant towing experience.  If you plan on towing the trailer a lot and/or long distances I might even cut that weight down a little further.

Yeah that's my concern. The short wheelbase of the Jeep allowing it to sway more. Maybe I better just find a decent pickup truck.

I towed with a little V6 Jeep Liberty - a 3500 lb loaded tiny trailer and a 4000 lb loaded 19 ft trailer. In both cases no problems once tongue weight was enough and with sway/weight distribution bars. I'm using Fastaway E2 and the only way I knew I was pulling was the mirrors and going up steep hills. That said, when time came our family's musical car bit, I opted for a V8 Suburban and that extra power is awesome. Handles the same except going up hills is so much easier. Of course the Jeep got much better mpg, but oh well. If I keep it around 55 mph, I can get 13mpg towing easily, even with hills. If I go over that though, I'm talking 8-10mpg.

vagari said:
Yeah that's my concern. The short wheelbase of the Jeep allowing it to sway more. Maybe I better just find a decent pickup truck.

I don't think you'd ever regret having more tow vehicle than you need.  However if price is a major concern, and Jeeps are priced right, maybe you can find a smaller/lighter trailer?  It is certainly a game of give and take.  Never the perfect all purpose tow vehicle or trailer for that matter.  I have a 1/2 ton Silverado rated to tow just under 10k but I wouldn't even be comfortable pulling a 10k Camper with it.  Around town or short trips sure, but across country no way.

I've got a nice '03 Grand Cherokee that needed a new tranny at 120k. The prior owner sold it while it was still in the shop getting a new tranny put in and the local shop knew the vehicle it's entire life. It was suggested that the previous owner used it for towing boats around the state, and that that was probably a fair part of the reason it went out at 120k. An extra tranny cooler was installed with the rebuild...maybe its a good idea right from the start if plan to tow a lot.

In general though its a nice vehicle...the straight 6's are considered to be a very durable engine.

StarEcho said:
I towed with a little V6 Jeep Liberty - a 3500 lb loaded tiny trailer and a 4000 lb loaded 19 ft trailer.  In both cases no problems once tongue weight was enough and with sway/weight distribution bars.  I'm using Fastaway E2 and the only way I knew I was pulling was the mirrors and going up steep hills.  That said, when time came our family's musical car bit, I opted for a V8 Suburban and that extra power is awesome.  Handles the same except going up hills is so much easier.  Of course the Jeep got much better mpg, but oh well.  If I keep it around 55 mph, I can get 13mpg towing easily, even with hills.  If I go over that though, I'm talking 8-10mpg.

I did a test pull of a 20 foot light weight with my 2011 Liberty 3.7 with no distribution hitch and it was all over the road (sway). According to a recommended wheel base chart, my wheelbase of 106" is a little over limit of 20 feet. 

Think I'm going to take a Class C and tow my jeep.

Roger

I have an 02 Grand Cherokee and I'll be pulling a TT with it. I don't see any issues with this combo as long as you stay within reasonable trailer weight and use sway bars and a load distribution hitch. 6500 pounds is a pretty big TT and at the weight limit. I'll be staying in the 3000 to 3500 pound range loaded.