too full too soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Now that I have finished the main interior "build" and with a bit of sweeping up to do, I have begun to move in and am not doing so well in stuffing it all in category.

I started filling up nooks and crannies and realized... where is the food going to go... amazing how things get prioritized.

I have also discovered that the water jugs are taking up a lot of space. They are super inconvenient at least in my current state. I am wondering if it would be worth the time and expense to mount maybe a tank underneath.  My rig sits high... I just don't want to put in an "elaborate" system at this stage. Any cost estimation difficulty/time estimations?  I would be interested in the most primitive system for gray and fresh if anyone has some ideas.

While looking for tanks I did see these awesome wheel well models,   https://agileoffroad.com/product/24-gallon-water-tank/
I sure wish I had one of those puppies right about now.

I don't have the ability to build any extra storage capacity at this time and am curious what simple tips you use to do so. I do need to get one of those shoe holder things. I figure one for junk drawer/office items and one for cleaning and shower caddie.

I honestly don't have any good ideas... the shoe storage thing was my moment of brilliance for the day. I sure would appreciate any of you to share your time with me regarding the tanks underneath and any tips on making storage organization more functional.

I had a thread about priorities and unique items, reflecting back on some of those posts I have to wonder how the heck do some folks carry all that stuff when I can barely find room for food..LOL.

Ya'll must be master organizers.. please share your magic...

Three things -

1) rethink your list of "essentials" - everyone starts out with too much stuff, and I guarantee you that you can cut your list down noticeably
2) add a hitch cargo carrier for things like large water containers - or a rooftop carrier if you prefer
3) rent a small storage locker in a place where you are likely to pass through at least twice a year

#3 is a last-ditch effort, but it doesn't have to be very expensive - can even be a corner in someone's garage. Switch out seasonal items, such as clothing and shoes.

As I recall, you were not planning to do a lot of backcountry camping, so a smallish tote and your refrigerator should do for your food, as you will be able to resupply frequently. And a tote is easy to move between the living space and the driving space as required.

You don't need to have it all with you now...there will be thrift stores and Walmarts along your route. If you are tempted to get an item, it should either replace an item that broke or serves multi-purposes. Think minimalistcally.

The wheel well water tank is interesting, though a bit expensive. Its main appeal is that its using what may otherwise be somewhat poorly utilized space. Keep in mind you can get water tanks in about any conceivable size and shape, and many of the simple ones are pretty affordable. I just googled RV water tanks and came up with a quite a few companies selling them.

I use a hitch mounted cargo rack with home made box, it helps de-clutter inside the 4runner. I dont do roof mounted carriers well, its hard on my back, hip and shoulder to climb up and access anything on top of the vehicle, but that may not be an issue for you.

One other thing, you can have a couple totes or boxes with junk that goes in back while driving them out it in the passenger front seat when stopped for living space in the back. Im reluctant to put anything in the drivers seat in case it seems advisable to leave quickly due to incoming velociraptors or whatever. When travelling alone, the passenger front seat and floor area is pretty well packed in any event to leave room in the back for the dog.

I don't have much of anything in there right now.  I think it is just arranging it correctly to optimize the space.  I just got back from the Wally and picked up a few items I am hoping well help.

I got 4 more 20qt bins. I think those will fill out completely underneath the bed. I did have the "garage" and electrical stuff in seperate totes.. I bought a 20 gal. tote and will combine those departments and put them in the passenger seat floor. My new garage.

The shoe hanging thing should be very nice as well to open up some more of the space in the bedbox.. I will see how it goes. 

Any ideas about the water tanks underneath. Do any of you have a van with tanks?

The food is an issue as I actually will prefer to be more back country as my rig will allow. If i could afford a winch I would have it.  A 2 week stay at a time would be ideal. As 14 days is kind of the standard before you have to move on.. I would prefer not to have to do a lot of back and forth.. AND I the fewer power lines I see the better. I made sure to buy tires that are sufficient for off road activity. 2 weeks at a time is the minimum provisioning req.

I bought a 1.5 qt tub of ice cream to start testing the fridge... I can see that in order to go 2 weeks.. I won't be able to have much more than a pint..My fridge is just to0 small...unless I don't want meats.

Maybe a fruit and veggie hammock needs to be put on the list.

I have a 10 gallon fresh water tank under my sofa bed. Ad a line and pump and sink and boom. Running water. Not too epensive or complex if youre the handy type

I save ice cream for a treat to buy when I go into town for groceries. Then I eat it right there or in a nearby park right after shopping. You can buy single servings small tubs of it in the larger grocery stores, no need to buy a whole quart. Of course it is much better for me to skip the habit of a nightly helping of sugar and high fat dairy.

When people start out they keep trying to do everything the way they did it in sticks and bricks. But you really have to break that habit and think inside a new box instead of still thinking you are inside that old box.

Some very good ideas offered here.

What I've found to work for me. I try to keep storage stuff "square"...as in boxes etc. I use those 5 or 6 gallon Jerry Jugs for water. (one is all I've ever needed) card board boxes are free at the Post Office (small, medium, and large)e

Every one should lay out all that they have that they want to take. Then have a "shake down" to sort out just how much they truly need. Could they get by with half as much.

Part of what has made this Nomad life easy in the past is living in the Rig for sleeping, cooking, or just chilling out like at camp. But when on the road you are passing many places you could stop an get something you need when you have need of that. There are truck stops & large gas stations where you can use restrooms, gyms where with a membership you can shower & clean up, use WIFI, recharge and so on. There are lanudromats networked on the internet, and so on. With so much stuff like this available external to your Rig, you may only need to adjust your thinking as to how much you can rely on that and how little you really need onboardh your Rig.

Example, carrying big water tanks full of water may be ok if you are at camp far from town for a week or more, but
if you are just traveling on the road you can always find sources of quality water to refill with each day. Likewise with food. I've carried enough for a few days of cooking in the Rig. But I can find Hospital Cafeterias for an affordable dinner if I'm that hungry or inclined. Otherwise I may pass numerous grocery stores & Walmarts while traveling where I could pick up some more food.

I guess it's all in the method of thinking. If you stock heavily you may not have to stop and shop so much....but if you want to get out and stretch your legs.....you could do some shopping while you are at it.

Sofisintown said:
For the ice cream conundrum, get these.
They are individually wrapped, so throw out the box and stuff them in the freezer head to toe fashion. They will fit fine.

https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/...VEdbACh2_nALYEAQYAiABEgL7APD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For organizing, put in the big stuff in the van first, and fill the voids with the small stuff.
My 2 cents.
Those drumsticks are one of my favorite treats. Having a 1.5 qt of ice cream is a bit overkill.  I am a little disappointed tho with the fridge. I have had it in there for several hours and it isn't hard..its frozen.. but easily scooped. The thermo on the unit says 2 degree.. I will have to get an inside thermo to really see what it is. I honestly expected it to be a brick by now. I will test making ice cubes tomorrow.

I have spent the last couple hours sorting and moving things around and I think I am having some success. I cut the shoe hanger in half and put part on the wall by my cabinet.. my new office!! Tools, screws, wires, butane etc etc is now up at the passenger foot well. It doesnt fit perfectly but it is plenty fine and I now have a ton(LOL a ton) of room under the bed.

I just hate all these darn water containers.

I am going to look for a place to wall mount the catalytic heater now.. that will open up quite a bit of space as well. There is no low spot to put it. I am eyeballing the wall by the side doors?

I feel much better about it now.. at least I have a spot for oatmeal and buckwheat pancake mix.

No matter how cleverly packed you are, at first you will probably find that you are doing WAY to much moving stuff, shuffling, searching and getting frustrated as you go through whatever your new routines are.  That's to be expected.  As you gain experience, you will refine your methods.  Be gentle with yourself and keep expectations fluid, if you can.

As my husband sometimes reminds us, you are not going to Mars, so you don't have to have everything figured out to get started, unless that is fun for you.

Two things that have helped us along the way are:  1)  Minimize single use items.  2)  Place items at the point of first use.  For example, I used to keep the extension cord in the back, but when we use it, it goes out a front window.  Now it lives in a front door bin.  (It's the little things.)  "Jammies" go under our pillows (cute, no?).

To shortcut matters, by spending lot of time on endless details and decisions, I would just rent a small storage locker, stuff the overflow 'stuff' in there, and head on out. Life is suddenly vastly simpler when you do that.

Don't worry about it too much it all works itself out as you go

Latest posts