Tiny Homes - 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NomadMike said:
I just hope to die in dignity, standing on my feet! Hopefully not in a rest home bed, with some stranger wiping my Axx! The best laid plans are never a sure thing, nothing in life is sure. Just live it to it's fullest!

That's my thinking as well:

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Use your health, even to the point of wearing it out. [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]That is what it is for. [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Spend all you have before you die; [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]do not outlive yourself.  [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]George Bernard Shaw[/font]

eDj said:
When I first became interested in homes built out of recycled materials it was with the architect Michael Reynolds and his "Earthship" home.  His idea of being able to live in the middle of the desert using offgrid technologies I was fascinated.  Since then I've visited an Earthship home here in Ohio and I was sold.   So much of the stuff was purchased at auctions for pennies and the worn out car tires were donated.  Wood products were harvested on the 35 acre farmstead.  These can be built as a tiny home or a more expansive one.  With their modular nature, you can expand them as your needs or the family grows.  These stay at about 55 degrees F year around.  (so heating need only bring up the temps 15 degrees for heat or 5 degrees for A/C)  The owner told me that when it was -10 F out side the inside stayed at 70 degrees F  with only a very small fire burning in the heating system.

We seriously considered living in an earth ship, even putting in an offer for an earthship across the road from greater world.  Five years ago, I spent two weeks in Michael Reynold's corner cottage, oddly named because it was over 1100sqft.  Selling price was around 500K.  My first morning I stepped out in my fabulous canary colored warm ups to lock eyes with a car full of gawkers.  Only then did I find out it was the NYTimes house of the day so felt like a fish in a bowl.  It was warm on cold days.  Several of the windows leaked during rains.  We wandered through the community and was invited in by several owners.  One couple were reynolds trainees and they refused to put the growing beds indoors.  Said it made too much moisture.  Got rid of leaking windows by putting in vertical glass.  We loved staying there.  I spent much of the time in the greenery area.

0c0d0fc1cbab8fa66977c6861736ee87.jpg
... Testing re size, and no snow here this Christmas

gsfish said:

I just don't get why someone would be willing to pay $70K (with taxes, etc) for a "home" that has a floor area equivalent to five sheets of plywood plus a foot or so. You can get a decent house for that price here in NW Florida...... and that includes the dirt it is sitting on!

Guy

I think they (movement) have figured out that you never "own" a S&B house but are willing to pay the one time sales tax.  They don't want to pay the price to rent it from the gubberment by paying the property taxes that a S&B generate.  Try not paying your property taxes and find out that the gubberment will take your "property" away from you no matter how much you have invested in it.  With the tiny home, you could move it (it is a trailer) and still have a place to stay.  Try that in a S&B.

tiny houses sure were a lot cheaper when they were just called cabins

B and C said:
I think they (movement) have figured out that you never "own" a S&B house but are willing to pay the one time sales tax.  They don't want to pay the price to rent it from the gubberment by paying the property taxes that a S&B generate.  Try not paying your property taxes and find out that the gubberment will take your "property" away from you no matter how much you have invested in it.  With the tiny home, you could move it (it is a trailer) and still have a place to stay.  Try that in a S&B.

Up here, people over 65 can defer property taxes until they sell/die.  The government takes what is owing when the property changes hands.

After looking at tiny homes movement for years it's really a marketing tactic now. Property is the biggest issue. You can not just put these anywhere as town-county zoning prevents it. Strike one.

Prices are stupid. Building it should cost no more than $10000. Try to used recycled supplies always. Strike two.

The technics used to build them often forget about some key important factor. No sewer. Use a biodegradable system? Still need to dump it. No electric. Use solar panels and batteries? Batteries need replacement every few years at significant cost. And try running air conditioning on solar power. Strike three.

The better homes and gardens aspects of these mini-cottages is really appealing - but in exactly the same way as the magazine pictures are. Where are all the lamp cords? Where does the laundry go? Seriously, you have room for a mostly empty shelf with a candle and a pile of beach stones, when your kitchen is only 2*3 and from the front porch picture, you apparently live with a Samoyed? Exactly how long did it take to make a loft bed look that perfect while crouched on your knees and kneeling on it? I think the tiny house dream represents a visual shangri-la that simply isn't possible if you actually *live* in it, but most people who've never had a tiny dwelling don't know that.

Before I found boondocking I was watching the Movement very closely. Most Tiny Homes are built with S&B materials rather than those that are lighter but require better engineering to avoid structural failure. This results in a THOW that is only mobile in the sense of a traditional mobile home, which isn't meant to be moved more than once or twice before you have issues.

The majority of the tiny homers on the videos have been primarily single male professionals (who are marketing to the TH movement) or young couples who don't have a kid - yet. I've watched the follow up videos where there's a kid in arms and they're talking about keeping the TH for an office or guests, but building a small home with more space for the growing family. The brave folks who are dedicatedly raising a family in a TH are few to non-existent. And the folks who try it and last only a year or two are legion. The whole 'Better Homes and Gardens' look is unrealistically artificial and I've seen it used on Airstream videos - those mod, clean interiors are NOT realistic and are only achievable with a level of COD I'm not up to!

The restrictions on parking a TH are what held me back from serious investigation. Heck it's held me back from embracing a Schoolie that I've practically been offered at cost!

If folks continue to flee S&B housing to mobile living, I foresee taxation of some sort, and I agree that I like my roads passable, my water potable, along with all the other amenities of a modern infrastructure.

The whole concept of "Tiny Homes" strikes me as another marketing gimmick. The price, the inability to park it without additional cost, and movement fees all count this concept with regards for practical applications. It seems almost better to rent or purchase a single room shack that a person can move.