thermal cooker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like something to save money&nbsp;for. I read the few reviews and they were good. I have been thinking of getting a pressure cooker (used, they tend to be pricy) but this may be a better investment.<br><b><FONT color=#ff00ff>Dragonfly</FONT></b><br>

Never heard of that. Sounds interesting. Enough that I would like to try that.

I think the Solar Ovens are still the best thing since sliced bread, and you don't need any fire or electric to cook with it. I just wish they weren't so expensive. And good morning ya'll!

judycmomx6 said:
I think the Solar Ovens are still the best thing since sliced bread, and you don't need any fire or electric to cook with it. I just wish they weren't so expensive. And good morning ya'll!
<br>There are plans on the internet to build them -- everything from cardboard and aluminum foil to better than the commercial ones.<br><br>

Wow, that's awesome Blars, I will check that out for sure, thanx!

The online solar oven instructions are great - many to choose from and they are easy to build and really do work! I have hosted a solar oven competition with my high school students for years now - they have fixed everything from pizza to hot dogs to grilled cheese sandwiches. I was always amazed at their clever designs. Never tried bread but I see where others have!<br>

I would imagine some old fashioned yeast bread would be awesome in one of those ovens, can smell it now!

I am curious if this is comparable to the canadian thermal cookers that some vandwellers have.....Brian K. and Gary had them, they were only available in Canada then. Can't remember the price of those. Will do some searching. Folks who had the canadian model loved them...there were several sizes.

Hi Katie and all, I bought the Thermos brand thermal cooker that as Katie says, was only available in Canada as far as I knew when Gary Gearloose turned me onto a meal of rice from his 1.5 liter cooker.<br><br>http://www.forumappliances.com/i-1770-Thermos_Mini_Vacuum_Thermal_Cooker.html<br><br>I love it and although I have not used it as much as I thought I would, it works wonders with rice and stews, etc.<br><br>I find that when I am on the road I don't cook very much and have trimmed my kitchen down drastically and gave up refrigeration. I have adjusted very well and since the last trip before the RTR was Baja California, there is so much good cooked stuff there to eat and when I was cooking once a day I ate extremely simply with eggs and veggies like tomatos, onions, garlic and avocados, corn tortillas and tons of fresh fruit...<br><br>Keep in mind that I am only on the road for traveling and rarely longer than a month at a time. I keep moving and then come home to let my funds build up for a while. <br><br>Bri<br><br>

Have to Ask<br>Everybody seems to love these thermal cookers but when I look at the descriptions on Amazon or eBay, they say they "continue to cook the food for up to 30 minutes" after taking it off the 10 minute boil. Now, am I missing something or is 30 minutes NOT enough to cook a meal containing say chicken or beef or pork??? Wouldn't cooking time need to be at least double that?? Could any of you maybe describe alittle of just WHAT you cook in them besides the obvious rice?? thx as always<br>dust<br><br>

sort of like slow cooking,<div>google thermal cookers</div><div>google hay box</div><div>hay box cookers and cooking times.</div>