The Magic Sleeping Bag

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago, while living in the van called I called "Breat Truck", I remember several cold nights in bed -- all wrapped up in my down sleeping bag -- wondering why I felt so very comfortable there each night as I slept. I couldn't figure it out but it was delightful.

Years later, back in Texas, I discovered the secret was that down sleeping bag!

Years earlier, Mother had read an article about a boy who had arthritis and went on a camping trip. When he returned, the symptoms of arthritis were gone! ...but would return after nights of not sleep in that bag. So hearing the story and examining the boy, his doctor began recommending down sleeping bags to his other arthritis patients, which led to the article about the phenomenon being published.

So our mother went to a sporting goods store and bought a down sleeping bag to test its effectiveness. When I later left for the State of Washington, she gave me that bag to be sure I'd be warm at night in my van.

Two years later, after returning to Texas -- not yet having discovered the sleeping bag was the source of my personal deep comfort -- I gave it back to Mother. And when I finally understood it was the source of my comfort, I felt I had to accept I'd already given it back to her, who took it with her in her motorhome from Texas to Pennsylvania.

Sometime later on a cold night, I was staying with her in her Motor Home. At bedtime, she opened a cabinet and whipped out that same wonderful sleeping bag, opened it fully and spread it over the lowered kitchen-table-and-benches where I was to sleep, wanting to make my bed totally comfy. As soon as I started laying down on it, deeply pleasurable chills began running up and down throughout my entire body. I was amazed that this bag of feathers held such power, but it undeniably did.

Naturally, I wanted to ask her to let me take it with me back to Bread Truck again, but to ask that seemed far too selfish, depriving Mother of such a wonderful blanket/sleeping bag.

Perhaps it was a year later when I asked her again about that wonderful blanket/bag and she answered, "Oh, that thing started leaking feathers, so I threw it away."

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That act was equivalent to throwing a pot of gold into the dumpster!

Over the years, I've tried to find a replacement that would have the same effect, but without any success. I even bought a plush $300.00 down-filled bed comforter, expecting the same comforting effect; but it wasn't there. Most recently, I purchased an 800-fill, nylon-covered, goose-down sleeping bag; but still, the effect is not there at all. In fact, this one is a bit the opposite, making me rapidly feel the unpleasant sensation of being sticky and sweaty, even though I'm not even slightly sticky or sweaty. I push it off to escape that sensation, not knowing why it makes me feel that way.

So the mystery of what made that first down sleeping bag so amazingly comfortable remains. I still have no idea how it managed to be so comfortable, or how it was able to ensure rapid and deep sleep, every night spent in it.

So does anyone out there know the answer? More importantly, does anyone know where can I find another one that gives that same wonderful effect?

Last edited:
I used an all season down comforter for years, and loved it.

When it was very cold, I first covered with a fleece blanket, then the down comforter, and when it was very, very cold, my first layer was head to toe fleece pj’s and socks.

Warm as toast. ☺️