"The hard way" is simply hands-on learning..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightHomeLightHeart

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your pool of knowledge. 

My significant other and I have spent months reading the forums here and watching Bob's videos. But today I registered and became official lol. Some time last year we chose in, made a financial plan, and headed for it with all our might. Just over a month ago we purchased the trailer, it's a 26ft '02 Kit Extreme, we'll be towing it with our '13 Tundra. We will be living in it FT by August of this year, when our lease is up. I'm fortunate to come from a strong do-er family, and have a parent who's lived in RVs for the better part of the last 20 years. He's been a great source for advice. However, in spite of all his wisdom and my best effort to be patient and wary, follow the checklists, etc., the trailer we bought from a private seller has active water damage. 

The issues were successfully hidden by a partial repair and (I believe) by having kept the trailer in a cover through the winter so that it was dry and basically felt solid over the week I spent evaluating it. I discovered the damage last week and started pulling off the walls to investigate. I was devastated. We considered trying to sell and start over with shopping, but in it's current state (since I'm not willing to dupe anyone the way I was) there's no way we could sell it for enough to pay off the loan we took out. So, I'm doing the repairs myself. My SO will assist when available but he has the job which supports us, and I've got the time and small collection of the skills necessary to take this on. It's going to be a ton of work, but I'm excited for all I'll learn about our home. I also might be able to arrange the bathroom a little better by the end. *thumbs up* 

I began the demo work a couple days ago, we've got a week of rain coming so I decided to pause while that passes and do a bit more planning for how I'm going to tackle the job. I have a lot more research to do, but I know without a doubt that if I hadn't already invested so much time here reading, watching videos of other inspirational nomadic folks (particularly the independent women out there who have cataloged their experiences), I would not have even considered it. I know many people avoid water damage like the plague (totally valid lol) but there are also a lot of you out there who, like me- for one reason or another, couldn't walk away from it and managed to solve the problems yourself. Wish me luck in joining your ranks, I'm gonna need it!  ;)

Welcome to the forum.

First thing is stop the leak.

Hi Jesse & Co. and welcome. Sorry to hear about that water damage, but really respect your attitude in dealing with it. Best of luck with everything.

hey LightHomeLightHeart,

welcome, Im pretty new here myself. water damage is really common and in travel trailer RVs especially. I think youre in the right place for some good advice here. Ive been reading and I see lots of it.

my Dad recently got the same bad deal as you seem to have gotten except he knw there was some water damage, just didnt appears as extensive until after he got it and dug into it.

best of luck with it!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! I'm sure that you've already searched for posts and videos about repairing water damage. They should be a big help in planning how to go about fixing the damage. If you can post pictures here we may be able to make suggestions too. Good luck - you will be able to do this!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums Jessie...

Sorry about the water leak.. I've had issues on my brand new model and it's no fun for sure..

Good luck on the repairs and safe travels when you hit the road!

Latest posts