The factory ladder on vintage RV coaches

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephusminimus

Reaction score
I recently discovered the ladder mounted behind the 1983 Toyota coach has been causing a problem for a longish time without being noticed.&nbsp; As the frame members it's screwed through the aluminum sheet metal skin and anchored to softened over the years every time the ladder was used it pulled out a bit, creating leaks.&nbsp; Leaks in places unlikely to be noticed without specifically looking for them.<br /><br />I've quit even considering using that ladder anymore as access to the roof for repairs.&nbsp; Plan on carrying a ladder with me to lean on the side to climb up.&nbsp; Upon close examination it's a wonder that hooked ladder didn't dump someone on his butt climbing it toward the end of its career.

hi jack- yea my old wini is like that as well. i put bigger screws in it to help but, like you said, the backing is soft. they worked for awhile. so i sealed them up and don't use the ladder anymore.

Interesting info, John.&nbsp; Thanks.&nbsp; I'd guess a lot of the older ones would be found to have similar objects for mistrust between their ladders and their RV frames if they examined them closely.<br /><br />I've debated with myself whether to take the old one off completely so's to never feel tempted to use it.&nbsp; If I could think of a way of filling that space and the need for access to the roof with something else attached some different way I'd do it in a flash.<br /><br />I'm not nuts about the idea of carrying a ladder around loose for the purpose.

just my opinion, the rv is 35 years old and probably should not be up there anyway. dont really want a sky light lol. but the more you walk on them, the bigger chance of roof leaks. when i put the solar panels up there , ill do it from the sides and, one of those fold up ladders.&nbsp; I am thinking you are right, just take the ladder off and fill the holes with lap seal.

John:&nbsp; I'm fortunate on mine that someone in the past added six 1x2 cross members placed across the outside of the roof in an attempt to reduce the damage the weight of the AC unit was doing up there.&nbsp; Bolted them spang through the roof and added a plywood ceiling they're attached to.&nbsp; <br /><br />Today they're a major piece of what's holding the coach together, spaced at irregular intervals depending on what they're holding up, or holding together.&nbsp; They didn't stop the deterioration of the roof completely, but they do provide a surface I can place a 2x6 across to allow me access for caulking, surfacing etc without putting my weight directly on the metal roof surface&nbsp;and what's below it.<br /><br />

I had this problem on a class-A motor home. removed the ladder and carried this around.