The Disadvantages of Modifying an Old Ambulance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dgorila1 said:
As a former paid firefighter/medic I can attest to how used and abused any emergency vehicle gets driven. They are not built on any special chassis, just a stock heavy truck chassis.  They are well worn when most agencies finally sell them off. Don't get me started about the lack of proper disinfection in cleaning them. Most are traveling Petri dishes!

That is an interesting opinion. After 11 years of ownership, I would care to say the opposite. I put over 258k miles on my original chassis before swapping to a bigger one. The engine still ran great, just the amount of rust on the chassis and registration became and issue. The ambo module its self is built better than any camper on the market. It is so ridiculously over built, short of a train wreck, it will outlast me. The only real disadvantage is cost and the require skill set to make an ambo rig work as a camper. If you got those two covered, no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgorila1 said:
As a former paid firefighter/medic I can attest to how used and abused any emergency vehicle gets driven. They are not built on any special chassis, just a stock heavy truck chassis.  They are well worn when most agencies finally sell them off. Don't get me started about the lack of proper disinfection in cleaning them. Most are traveling Petri dishes!

I started my career in 1979 working 'scoop-and-run' ambulances in San Diego.  Our ambulances in those days were Dodge vans and ran 24/7 as patrol cars/ambulances.  And I wouldn't have touched one of those with a stick at the end of their useful career.  They were, in fact, run into the ground in about three years.

As far as the longevity of ambulances today under the fire department/paramedic model,  while it's true that ambulances get ridden hard, they're never put away wet and they're stored in controlled environments and have probably the best maintenance of any commercial-use vehicle.  In the case of the one I posted with the Kodiak chassis, it's only go 88k miles on the chassis.  That's a million-mile chassis and an easy 300k engine, with proper maintenance.

Some of the things to remember is that common household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) kills just about everything.  Most bacteria on environmental surfaces die within hours, and while viruses can last longer... much longer in some cases...  two or three wipedowns with a 10% bleach solution will even kill those.  And any that are left likely aren't in a concentration as to be a problem.  The shopping carts you use at the grocery store are probably HEAVILY infectious... and yet we usually don't get infected from them.   It's all a matter of perspective.

I, too, think that the big challenge is having the skill set to convert an ambulance box to a working camper solution.  But I'd LOVE to have that Kodiak chassis or a Freightliner M2 based box to try it out on.

Baloo said:
That is an interesting opinion. After 11 years of ownership, I would care to say the opposite. I put over 258k miles on my original chassis before swapping to a bigger one. The engine still ran great, just the amount of rust on the chassis and registration became and issue. The ambo module its self is built better than any camper on the market. It is so ridiculously over built, short of a train wreck, it will outlast me. The only real disadvantage is cost and the require skill set to make an ambo rig work as a camper. If you got those two covered, no worries!

I agree they are built well, and most cities have excellent maintenance schedules. If you can find a lower mileage, gently used vehicle from a low call volume agency you can usually get one in good shape. However, the ones used by larger cities are driven hard and not sold until they have many miles on them.

Here in my part of Southern California most ambulances are not owned by city, county or state agencies, but rather by private ambulance companies that contract with these agencies to provide ambulance services. I'm not sure how this affects maintenance schedules, whether it means better or worse maintenance. I'm reasonably sure that being owned by a private company as opposed to a government agency does have an impact though.

sephson said:
Here in my part of Southern California most ambulances are not owned by city, county or state agencies, but rather by private ambulance companies that contract with these agencies to provide ambulance services. I'm not sure how this affects maintenance schedules, whether it means better or worse maintenance. I'm reasonably sure that being owned by a private company as opposed to a government agency does have an impact though.

I would have to agree. As much as a new ambo cost, I can only imagine it is an investment to take care of. I know they are overbuilt, why else would module remount!companies even exist? Before I put a new chassis under mine I called around just to see what having it done by the professionals would have cost. It will make you sick, upwards of $80k for another van chassis, just north of $125k for a commercial rig. That's a remount of the old ambo box I provide! I understand there is a whole bunch DOT and insurance liability involved in that cost, but seriously...
There will always be an opinion of weather it is worth it or not in converting an ambo to a camper. I would recommend listening to those who have done it. I for one am for it cause I love mine, it was a ton of work, but worth it in the end.

Alcatraz said:
I seen them before and they work great. The problem is the stealth factor.

Appearance is the largest factor in how LE reacts to it I think. 
If it looks like someone with big bucks made the conversion, they will probably not give it much thought. 
If it looks "unprofessional" expect that they will be curious about the occupants. 
Just my opinion, a box van would be easier to convert. I looked at an old ambo, and decided it was too much work undoing so that I could redo. Registration and insurance problems are there as well.

Hey guys, bought my ambulance 2 months ago. I now call it the glampulance because even though I’m in a budget and am a very savvy shopper some of the deals I find are in more extravagant type items that just can’t seem to be sold. Searching for things had become my hobby.
I have kept all of the interiors cabinets adjusted some wiring. Added a large domestic frig. Couldn’t pass it up. Almost new and the guy said give me 200! Sold! I was ready to use a Walmart cooler. After my purchase of a multipurpose sink was delivered I felt so ritzy. It’s the most beautiful item ever!
I have managed to maximize my space. I have a full kitchen, king bed, full bathroom with indoor/outdoor showers. All of this should be able to work off grids for 2 week before needing to head in town.

Registration and insurance seemed to be very simple for us here in Tennessee. Registration was 40 bucks insurance is under 500.
Got lucky with this rig. A plumber bought it and heard a sound. After a new tranny, power stiring, and ac unit he wanted it gone. So we got it as a awesome deal. It’s a 7.3 tank with 92k on it. Our business is the 7.3 so that part will be cake.

Thanks for having this forum. This will be my first of many more firsts.
Bought my first ambulance then joined my first forum

Exciting- I’d love to share photos and ideas with anyone.

Awesome!

I've been wanting to find a 7.3 ambulance or shuttle for conversion. Ambo has all that easily adapted storage & exterior access. 

Good luck & keep us informed.

If you come across a good candidate for me around $5k, please pm me.

Hi

I was considering doing a shuttle bus but got really interested in the ambo idea because the build is already there, and all the outside storage. I would be driving it from Florida to Maine and pretty much permanently parking it to use for a tiny house.
I have watched a ton of videos and some say its great because you can plug in at a campground, the electric is all there...then I have seen others saying they did that and the rig totally died and that the electrical was a nightmare
I am certainly not an electrician, would it be stupid expensive to hire one to take out all the electric and rewire for solar etc.
I would have to do that anyway in another vehicle. Im confused on this point

I saw a video of Bobs ambulance and he meioned where yu could find them for sale but I cant seem to find any online. Does anyone have an addy for them?

Latest posts