The Box - Socorro, NM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpdchief

Reaction score
We are camped at "The Box" West of Socorro, NM on Hwy 60. Approx 9 miles out of town, very pretty area and popular with rock climbers. Level gravel parking lot, rock fire rings and a very clean vault toilet. No trash service so ... pack in - pack out. Walmart, Dollar Tree and McDonald's in Socorro should you feel the need.
Found this on freecampsites.net -  14 day limit on BLM, Verizon and AT&T cell coverage.

:)  THANK YOU.

NM IS A STATE I'VE DRIVEN ACROSS MANY TIMES AND NEVER SPENT ANY TIME IN.  
I'M HOPING TO CORRECT THAT SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE.  

DO YOU GUYS HAVE NM STATE PARKS PASS?

JEWELL ANN & QUEENIE

No park pass yet.... strongly considering it though as 22 nights in a tent site covers the cost of the pass. Figure in the number of really nice NM State Parks and it's a no brainer. We're really waiting on the next SS check to come in lol

Hello

How is the weather there?

I was going to do a weekender there but headed north into the Jemez instead.

tx2sturgis said:
You're not far from the VLA (Very Large Array). 

Not too far from Pie Town, either. There's a free boondocking area on the south side of the highway. And pie on the north side.

She woulda been a PGH transplant then. I ended up near SF in NorCal. The Bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began. Late 70's.
Bit of trivia , Pgh- Pa, is the only Pittsburgh in the nation that kept the (H) . Some post office guy back in the day wanted to keep it there since another popped up in Kansas or something thereof