Temporary Tent Living in the Midwest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bardo said:
What doesn't make sense? Mechanical fuel pumps are mechanical, not electric. They work mechanically off the cam shaft. Electric fuel pumps use electric to turn a sump motor in the fuel tank.

Everything I have read says my fuel pump is in the tank and so it would need to be dropped in order to replace it. I will take a look around for it by my engine, but I am doubtful.

My friend who has been advising me says he doesn't think the issue is a vacuum leak because the only problem is when it starts up. It runs fine after I get it going with gas in the carb. I'm working on finding a reputable mechanic as my other option is driving it 3 hours away to my step brother's.

bardo said:
...Your pump is on the front passenger side of the engine, not in the fuel tank. ...

Chickadee wrote the Southwind was 30-years old. That would be 1987[-ish]. I don't know anything about this topic but since there was a difference of opinion about whether an 87 does or doesn't have a fuel pump in the tank, I decided to do some searching to see whether I could find out. Here are the most relevant pieces of information I've found so far.

It seems that the dual pump design (mechanical & in-tank electrical) was designed to counter vapor lock. This configuration seems to be present even with a carburetor and was a transitional design change around 1985-86. Hopefully someone who's more familiar with it than I am will chime-in with further elaboration. In any case, I hope this helps a bit. Bold emphasis mine:

If it does not have 1/2" line coming from the tank then it probably does not have the in tank pump. 85-86 were the years they were changing to the electric pump and if you have an 86 coach it will be an 85 chassis.
Easy way to tell if you have an in tank pump.  Look at the right frame rail behind the rear wheels for a pressure regulator.  Needed to step down the electric pump pressure.

--from http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=13259.0

In 85, it should also have a factory electrical fuel pump, either in or near the gas tank.  Listen for humming with the ignition key on.
By 1985, pretty much all GMC based RVs with carbureted 454 engines had both a mechanical pump on the engine, and an electric pump near or in the fuel tank.  This was to prevent vapor lock.
If it is a '85, then there is a good chance the chassis is actually an 84.  In which case it would not have an internal electric fuel pump in the tank.  They started installing them in '85.

--from http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=7135.0

...you have a return line coming from your mechanical pump, your fuel return system should be running a loop from your intank fuel pump too and through your mechanical pump on the engine, then back to your tank. If you just run with the mechanical pump, you will have vapor lock issues somewhere down the road...that is why the electric pump is there.
My 85 Southwind has a carburetor. Has a mechanical pump with a return line and an external pump on the frame rail back by the tank.
From Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Service Guide:

1985 1/2 to 1989 stock carbureted P30 had an in tank electric pump, regulator outboard of the frame rail (aft of rear wheels; aft of tank), 1/2" steel line to filter (AC GF-509 located outboard of frame rail at tn transmission area), 1/2" steel line to mechanical fuel pump.

--from http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=8967.0

Whatever your case turns out to be, Chickadee, I hope it's an easy and inexpensive fix. Best wishes to you!

Thank you both! It is a 1986, so likely 85. I agree that I would much rather it be a cheaper problem to fix than the fuel pump. Bardo, if you have a link to what type of hoses to get and maybe advice on how to find a how to video, that would help me a lot. I am not well versed in mechanics but I am learning as much as I can as I go. I have so far rigged the hood latch with a zip tie, replaced a broken fuse housing with a breaker, replaced fuses, learned how to jump it, had the starting battery charged and tested, learned to use a multimeter, cleaned my roof, and started roof taping and caulking. I have had the speedometer cable replaced, had the choke and float bowl worked on, the brakes adjusted, and learned the cab AC condenser is a lost cause. I have not made it to the storage place yet to get a look at things.

In the meantime, I still feel like tent camping and a summer road trip would be a cheaper way to expand my book sourcing range as well as get to visit friends.

What kind of books do you find\sell? If that's off topic here, would enjoy hearing about it in another thread! I really enjoy books, don't really read them, but books themselves contain so many possibilities. That's what I enjoy about books, too unmotivated to actually read them, but the thought that the information is there somewhere in a book is just a neat thought to me.

Started reading the second link and that sounds a lot like what I have going on. Mine has run much more recently than this, it was not left neglected for years as that post's was. What my buddy finds curious is that I do not see gas squirting into the carb when I press the gas pedal. It does run fine (after it warms up) if I start it was gas in the carb. If my son is with me next time we are at the storage place, I will have him push the pedal while I investigate for signs of gas in the carb or the pump hum by the tank, as well as I will search for the pump and look at all the hoses if I can. Wheh. I am learning a lot.

Wabbit said:
What kind of books do you find\sell?

I search thrift stores, yard sales, and library book sales and then send them into amazon 40-50lbs at a time. Usually what sells best for me are nonfiction (history, memoir, etc), religion, and textbooks. It's called fulfilled by amazon and there are a ton of resources out there for learning how to do it. You can also source from clearance sections at retail stores like Walmart. I find that less fun and less profitable as I'm a book person and really enjoy and know books. I can help point you towards more resources if it is something you would like to do for money!

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote about the general process. https://goodfamiliesdo.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/books-boxes-and-barcodes/

I made a link to autozone with 3ft of hose for $5 earlier. unfortunately you need a couple different sizes and buying a variety pack is about $40. but most of what you need will be 6mm or 1/4 inch if you go to the parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-2104...id=1497449767&sr=1-2&keywords=vacuum+hose+kit

I wouldnt know where to find a video. but again you take an old one off, cut a new piece to the same length and install it in the same place. it's that simple. one at a time paying particular attention to the ones connected to the front of the carb and any that are excessively corroded.

I also love books and while I am more involved with selling new books, I have an appreciation for the way Amazon gets used books into the hands of those who would read them. You are performing a valuable service, chickadeeJP. I also used to work for Borders, fwiw. :) Did you know that the former Borders Group Foundation still exists? You might be able to apply for a grant to fix up your rig.

http://www.bincfoundation.org/

On an unrelated note, if you are in Michigan, remember that if you get the recreation passport, you get free admission to state parks and then only have to pay the camping fees which can be pretty low.

Wow! I had no idea the Borders foundation still existed. My dad was the first manager of the Flint Borders and I started "working" there when I was 12, flushing shelves, stripping covers, things like that. When I was 18, and he was no longer the manager, I worked there for a while and then also at two Chicago locations. I will check it out!

Unfortunately, Amazon is making it harder, and more costly, to sell through/for them. For instance, they just lost a book I had in the warehouse and are insisting that I am only due $0.50 for it because the merchant fulfilled sellers are only selling it for $1-6. I would have just sold it for $10.50, with proceeds of $4.71. They keep increasing their fees for sellers and nothing under $10 is profitable anymore. Remember when Borders sold lots of local books and CDs? And then they tried to be more like Barnes and Noble and stopped being as connected to the community? The number of titles they carried dropped and that is what is happening with Amazon FBA as well, especially in media.

I will look up the Michigan recreation passport, thank you!

bardo said:
I made a link to autozone with 3ft of hose for $5 earlier.
Sorry I missed that link, I went back and found it now. I am adjusting to this forum format and I am having internet issues as well. I did see a video with looking for vacuum leaks that also showed how easy it is to switch the vacuum hoses. I have a list of things to look at when I am at the camper next., Thank you for your help!

ChickadeeJP said:
 Remember when Borders sold lots of local books and CDs? And then they tried to be more like Barnes and Noble and stopped being as connected to the community? 

I will look up the Michigan recreation passport, thank you!

Yeah. I live near Ann Arbor and can remember when Borders was just one store but probably the best bookstore I have ever been to, and I have been to a LOT. They somehow managed to keep that independent bookstore feel though for a while after they became a chain. I remember well when they started trying to be more like B&N and if I am honest, still a little angry about it.

I sent you a message but no idea how the notifications show up and if you will see it!

I did the whole tent thing last summer. Not saying it is impossible or anything but it got very old. We got a lot of rain last summer and (here anyway) seem to be on the same track as last year. After about four days of rain everything is wet. You can't get dried out. This year I am building out a van and life has already been way better! :)

--joe

Notifications show up at the top of the page between the top Banner and the thread title ;)

slynne said:
  I also used to work for Borders, fwiw. :) Did you know that the former Borders Group Foundation still exists? 
I used to hang out in a Borders in Vegas. Drink coffee, read and buy books, etc. Does that count?
FWIW, I liked Borders better than B&N.

Joseph_Grey said:
After about four days of rain everything is wet.

I'm hoping to do a week or so at a time. It's looking pretty rainy here at the moment and I was thinking about that today as I found a great tent at the thrift store. Well, it would have been great if the previous owners hadn't shoved it in the bag sopping wet and dirty. If the forecast is bad, I would fork out for a cheap hotel.

My plans did not pan out for our first trip that was supposed to be about two weeks. Then I was offered a job that I wanted. I am now doing that and taking a yoga teacher training course. Next will be a doula training course to add to my extensive breastfeeding knowledge and goals to be an IBCLC. I need to do some repairs on my RV still, as it won't start at all now, but I would like to get on the road by next fall. I am putting my mobile Amazon income on hold as I don't have much time to work on it with my job, training, and full time parenting. I'm exploring etsy and merch by amazon as other ideas.