Telluride Area Going **Designated** Dispersed + a New Area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLTooley

Reaction score
Plans to change the Lizard Head, Alta Lakes, and Priest Lake areas to designated spots are in the works.  In addition the old, prime, Mary E. Campground is proposed to be re-opened.  This is at the confluence of the San Miguel and is both the closest spot to Town and the lowest elevation.  If you perchance have scoped the area for spots you'll likely remember this one.

This reopening is a result of a suggestion from myself at a local County Commissioner meeting last Fall.  At the time I offered to be the volunteer host, but was unable to put it together.

Here's the announcement.  Comment deadline is Friday, May 18,

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD578453

I've asked them to consider a reservable designated dispersed group site.  This spot will get very popular, I'd not be surprised if they start charging as soon as next year.

I had never been to Alta Lakes until last summer. It certainly was a jumble people fit in wherever they could. I think some were even camped in what was supposed to be the road. So designated spots could be a good thing. Of course, designated spots limits availability, so that's a potential downside.

MrNoodly said:
I had never been to Alta Lakes until last summer. It certainly was a jumble people fit in wherever they could. I think some were even camped in what was supposed to be the road. So designated spots could be a good thing. Of course, designated spots limits availability, so that's a potential downside.

They haven't done anything at Alta Lakes, but as I understand that's in the works.  They will pull people away from the water, especially near the 'entrance', for resource protection and greater public access.  There will be fewer spots, part of the reason they reopened the Mary E.  Personally, I think they reduce the number a tad bit too much.  If the experienced among us develop good relationships with the USFS we'll have more influence.