Taking a Semi-tractor sleeper box and turning it into a trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Here is an interesting conversion idea provided one can buy a sleeper box from a wrecked semi-tractor. Take a Semi-tractor sleeper box, put it onto a flatbed trailer and you have a spacious rig already equipped with some of the things for full-time dwelling (depending on the sleeper box of course). Depending on your space desires or constraints, you can fuse multiple sleeper boxes together incrementially!

Good idea or Bad idea? I don't plan on this but put it out there to inspire others.

Liability insurance doesn't seem like a problem.  In Texas the liability on a trailer is covered by the tow vehicle.  Like I said this is Texas so you would need to check with your state of registration.  If I were to build something like this it would be on the cheap and wouldn't try to have anything except liability.  You might have to be creative on your registration.  As long as you have it registered for the proper weight limit I believe I could make it work.  I like the idea.  It's kind of like Bob telling Randy on that new video about how Randy started people thinking about cargo trailer conversions.  You might be a trend setter.

Well a place in Texas has some all disassembled and ready to go. Its on the east side of I-35 between Austin and Dallas, has a big rig mounted on a pole. I'm sure you will get an insurance quote for it before investing your money.

On second thought, to narrow the search its between Waco and Dallas.

buy a trailer, register it as a TRAILER, put the sleeper on it, bolt it down, do your thing
don't get fancy, a trailer with a sleeper bolted (or welded) on it is still a trailer, it's just a trailer with very well secured 'cargo'

Art you are correct; be careful you may make this too easy.

Hmm wow, no matter how well one secures cargo things can go wrong or one can be involved in a pile up caused by someone else. I see people are ok with the consequences of not registering things properly or having insurance. Just dont go up the road and accidently kill a family on vacation.

So you think your insurance would give better coverage if it was just strapped down for transportation?
makes no sense to me

No it could come loose or what have you with or without insurance but at least he wont be facing probable criminal negligence charges with it being properly registered with insurance. Its jimmy-rigged contraptions suchas this that will kill enough people to make the government regulate this community.

Yes they still have a "holy cow" pricetag, so imo one is better off getting a trashed mobile home that has already been deemed safe for highway use by the Dept of Transportation and rehabing it.

Go to the "teardrops and tiny trailers site" (tntt) and look at poor man's fiberglass. If you can glue and paint you can build a van sized box on a cheap trailer which is about what you are talking about but cheaper!

Latest posts