Tail Veil....anyone have one ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken in Anaheim

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts mentioning they, "may be getting a Tail Veil".  I was wondering if anyone's actually tried one yet ? Curious as to how it would hold up in the AZ winds.......(?)
tailveil.com

Tent for the back of a car.  

Attachments

• tail vail.jpg
    tail vail.jpg
    91.1 KB
I have one that we used on a Grand Caravan. I did not like it because I prefer sleeping with the doors of the van closed for a better sense of security and warmth when it is cold. Once the Tail Veil is set up, you can't close the rear door without taking it down. It is not very big. I think a screen tent is much better choice for outdoor seating and cooking. It takes about the same amount of effort to set up, and you can leave it at camp to reserve your spot when you drive away.

Very cool! I have the same van, the Dodge Grand Caravan. Being a Tall Guy, this could give a nice taller section of living space. Gonna look into this. Thanks!

they do make them for trucks and tents also. I do not know were to get them but I have seen them

i know they make SUV tents, but the ones I've seen cost $$$ and don't give you the 'screen room'
Of course i can just put a tarp up, but it's not the same lol

I plan to attempt a DIY on this thing. I love the idea on this but I'm not about to drop the cash for that price. I'll be using scavenged parts from broken EZ Up tent shelters. I want to add zip in screens and solid fabric panels as well. That will add an additional room to my van. Call me grandiose and wish me luck! Hahaha.

VanGrrl57 said:
I have an '88 Chevy Astro van. I wonder if there's something like this that would work for my van? I will have to do some searching. :D

VanGrrl57 :)

VanGrrl, I have a '93 E150 Coachman. I'll let you know how my scavenged tent works ;)

Mayble, that is a great idea! I wonder if you can get those with a rain fly for privacy? I'm thinking bathroom when it's raining so I don't have to get wet (pooping in a bucket inside a Ranger with a cap will not work lol)

ArtW said:
Mayble, that is a great idea! I wonder if you can get those with a rain fly for privacy? I'm thinking bathroom when it's raining so I don't have to get wet (pooping in a bucket inside a Ranger with a cap will not work lol)

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be easy enough to rig tarps or shower curtains over the walls for privacy.  More experiments to come this summer :)
I really like this tent.  It's very easy for one person to set up and take down.

Good thinking, if nothing else, my privacy tent would fit inside I'm sure, but I like the idea of tarps / shower curtains better

19959006_10210312369512678_8870708438014335248_n.jpg

I bought a Tail Veil to go on my Ford Transit Connect.  I used it for 30 days straight.  It is well made and comes with a rain fly.  Very easy for one person to put up and folds down into a small package.  You need to seam seal the seam where the floor attaches to the walls.  Only place I had water in 30 days.  You can put it up and stake it in place.  You can also drive away, simply by dropping the hatch.  Upon return, you back up to where you where, open the hatch partway and slide the roof of the tail veil over the hatch.  Put the hatch up all the way and slide the tail veil to the top and sides of the van.  I was very happy with it.

I have a Napier drive away tent for when my spouse comes along.  It is easier to set up with two people and has a more space than the tail veil.  It's a great tent too.

Attachments

• 19959006_10210312369512678_8870708438014335248_n.jpg
    19959006_10210312369512678_8870708438014335248_n.jpg
    133.4 KB
scooterdog said:
I have a Napier drive away tent for when my spouse comes along.  It is easier to set up with two people and has a more space than the tail veil.  It's a great tent too.

Thanks Scooterdog. Have you ever had your Napier (or even the Tailveil) up in the AZ winds ? Or any other high winds ?
KinA

Ken in Anaheim said:
Thanks Scooterdog. Have you ever had your Napier (or even the Tailveil) up in the AZ winds ? Or any other high winds ?
KinA

The Tail Veil survived high winds and hard rains.  It comes with extra stakes and I put them all in the ground in anticipation of the storm.  Worked well.

I haven't had the Napier up in high winds yet.  I stake out very tight and good stakes are your friend.  On the Napier I think the canopy over the door is the weak link.  If I expected bad storms I would probably roll it up and not leave it in the open position.