Synthetic or conventional motor oil?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30781

Reaction score
I got my '97 Grand Caravan (newest vehicle I've ever owned actually) last November and am ready for another oil change.  The gentleman I bought it from said he had been using conventional oil and he wouldn't use synthetic and proceeded to spend about 5 minutes telling me why and I can't remember any of it.  So I used conventional the first time I had the oil changed in it.

Should I continue to use it?  Is there a good reason to switch to synthetic?

Thanks!

I was told be a mechanic that happens to build engines for racing say that he only uses Penns Oil…. Doesn’t trust synthetic oil because if one molecule is off in a batch, it will blow your engine. ( Exaggerated word usage but I understood). He did say that he would trust only Amsoil synthetic over the others because it’s a smaller company and less likely to make a bad batch.

I had another mechanic recommend for high mileage vehicles to go with Castrol Oil brand that’s a blend. Part synthetic part traditional oil.

And like was just said… I watched the synthetic oil run out of my oil pan like water so I would agree not to use it if you have any leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things to consider are how often you will change you oil, how often you will change your oil filter and how much do you plan to spend on maintenance based on the number of miles on the vehicle. There are 3 basic types of oil mineral based, synthetic and blended. All have pros and cons. The most important aspect is keeping oil clean and free of contaminants by changing the oil and filter (WIX or NAPA PRO pretty much set the standard for filters) often especially if you boondock on dirt roads. Mineral based oils tend to be cheaper and because they are not as slick I use them to break in rebuilt engines so wear patterns develop and create better sealing surfaces more quickly. On older design engines I use an additive to protect camshafts and followers as well. As it is cheaper I can change it at 500 miles and 3,000 mile intervals until it is broken in at around 15,500 miles. From that point on I change it every 5,000 miles and never let it go over 5,500 miles or over 6 months in the crankcase regardless of the miles. Depending on your pocket book at that point I use Valvoline Blended Synthetic as it provides most of both types of oils advantages for general purpose use at the lowest cost at the time I started using it (I don't like changing oil brands because to me wear patterns are important in my opinion and change can affect wear patterns). On older engines with over 75,000 miles I use the High Mileage version of the Valvoline Blended oil. On newer engines that the factory recommends Synthetic I use their manuals recommendations and factory filters. If the previous owner has used a particular oil, done regular maintenance and it has worked well for them for over 75,000 miles I would continue to use it and WIX filters. Once an engine is broken in with no oil leaks or residue and the manufacturer's manual allows the use of synthetic oils, if you are willing to spend the extra money required to change the oil every 5,000 miles you will see some minor benefits by using full synthetic oil. In my opinion oil changed more often provides more benefit than better oil changed less often. Toyota uses full synthetic and recommended in their 2013 4 cylinder the oil and filter be changed every 5,000 miles while in the 6 cylinder 7,500 miles. This tells me they feel extreme use warrants changes at 5,000 miles. My recommendation is if unknown what was used and the mileage is over 75,000 miles to use Valvoline High Mileage Blended Synthetic and WIX filters changed every 5,000 miles as in my opinion you can't do any better than that.

I thought you were supposed to get everything changed every 3,000 miles. Now I'm seeing 5,000 miles online.

According to the sticker thing on my windshield, I'm due for a change (at 3,000) and the oil looks barely used.

My kid's dad wouldn't use anything but Castrol in his vehicles and he had a few of them. lol

Again it depends on use, 2 mile trips every day for 6 months is extreme use so I would change it even though it was only a few hundred miles. Dirt roads for trips 20 miles long for 3,000 miles I would change it. Driving at least 250 highway miles most every time you start it with a few short trips in between I would change it at 5,000 miles or 6 months which ever came first. It is all a question of economics as oil and filters are fairly cheap compared to major repairs. Newer gasoline cars biggest cause of oil usage is lack of oil changes in my opinion. Many poorly designed or low quality engine piston rings will wear quickly if stressed so more frequent oil changes and how they are broken in can be a major factor in their later life as far as oil usage is concerned. Newer engines are depending or better seals, filters and synthetic oil to keep contaminants out of the oil, I would just be changing the oil more often rather than hoping they do their job. It is possible to have your oil tested fairly cheap and easily through the mail, there are several kits sold on line. If your vehicle holds several quarts or you are just concerned enough, you can use these to determine your use and when you should change your oil.

As it is I'm doing maybe 6-8 miles town driving every day with a once a month highway trip somewhere. I'll go with 3,000 mi changes.

Recently switched from regular oil to full synthetic for the Engine and Differential.  Noticed engine runs smoother. I have a 2002 Ford E150 ClubWagon XLT 4.6L V8. Named her “SpyAv8or”. 

Manny Spook

Well, I think you are going to get as many different opinions as there are Mechanics.

I just put synthetic in my 06 grand caravan on the suggestion of my mechanic, who use to drive race cars.. Not nascar I don't believe.. anyway he told me the Synthetic will lubricate the engine more then conventional.

I haven't had any issues with it.. my guess is a probably won't

I think the best suggestion would be talk to the mechanic you trust the most.. and go on his recommendation

Back 20 years ago, I changed all my lubes to synthetics. Saw a 2 mpg increase (3/4 ton pickup) the next tank which was sustained over the life of the truck. Ended up getting over 300k out of that rig before the tin worm devoured it. Would I have gotten that life out of it using dino lubes? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to tell since that didn't happen. I've been a synthetic fan ever since then. My camping\exploring rig is aircooled, there's significant research showing that specifically in AC motors, oil temps are lower with synthetics so in this application, it is a no brainer. And no, it doesn't leak any more that it did with dino oil. Ultimately, regardless of what you choice to use, Bullfrog nails it, no oil will help you if it is dirty. Be smart, be diligent, keep it clean.

Talked to my mechanic just now, he suggested High Mileage blend and said check your oil often as if you have any kind of a leak, it will leak faster due to the synthetic in the blend. Actually, he drilled in CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN a few times. lol

wanderingsoul said:
 . . . Is there a good reason to switch to synthetic?

I have used synthetic in my vehicles since 1992.  My last vehicle (1992 Dodge 1500) lasted 310,000 miles and died of cancer not engine problems.  I change oil at 10,000 miles (and I have had analysis done on 10,000 mile synthetic).
Here are my reasons:
  1. Synthetic oil clings to metal better.  This is important when starting in the first few seconds before the oil is pumped through the engine.  This is when a lot of engine wear happens.
  2. Synthetic oil is slipperier.  Conventional oil comes from crude oil with lots of impurities and non-uniform molecule sizes.  Synthetic comes from an almost pure hydrocarbon (most use natural gas as the raw material) = uniform molecule size and very little impurity.
  3. Synthetic has a higher shear strength.  Its viscosity doesn't change as fast as conventional oil under heat and stress.  That's why I can get away with running synthetic 10,000 miles where I wouldn't run conventional oil more than 3,000.
There are other reasons but those are some main ones.  It also helps that I am using less of a natural resource.

Leakage shouldn't be any different for the same viscosity oil.

IMHO blends are a poor compromise: you negate some of the strengths of synthetic and add the poor qualities of conventional oil.

Oh boy. SO MANY CHOICES!!! lol :/

The engine in this '97 GC just amazes me, what good shape it's in. I'd like to keep it like that as long as possible.

I don't believe many synthetic oils are made from natural gas. They are a very-special refracted crude oil. Checking your oil level often is required no matter what oil you are using. Just like checking air pressure and coolant level.

Yes I'm still looking for the right engine oil type for my ebike...I cant find anything in the owners manual about it.

:huh:

tx2sturgis said:
Yes I'm still looking for the right engine oil type for my ebike...I cant find anything in the owners manual about it.

:huh:

Dielectric grease :)

I probably shouldn't even weigh in here, but that never stops me!  I switched to synthetic shortly after I got Moby and it helped with an intermittent problem with a sticky lifter and improved gas mileage.  That being said, after 12 trouble-free years, I recently replaced the injectors with the upgraded system that came out shortly after the vehicle was manufactured (1996).  I'm not sure what the mechanic put back in.  Need to check on that.

I use a blended high mileage oil. From what I understand, the high mileage stuff (no matter blended, dino or syn) has an ingredient added to swell the seals to help contain or stop oil leaks at the seals. I'll go with getting good from a blend. All oils are compromises.

The day I left for my recent road trip I changed the oil in my 05 Ranger to synthetic. Put on a NAPA top of the line filter. The trip was 3800 miles. I checked the oil frequently because prior to leaving on the trip I had only put 300 miles on the truck since I got it, also I wasn't sure when the oil had been changed or how long the truck had sat unused before I got it. I didn't leak or use any oil in the trip at all, which amazed me.