Stupid Question...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captcharger

Reaction score
I see the Buddy heater is highly recommended for use a a heat source during the winters.

Kmowing nothing about them. How does one keep from being killed by Carbon Monoxide poisoning at night?

A. The Buddy heaters, like all catalytic heaters, create very little CO.
B. Keep a window or two cracked an inch or so for ventilation.

Thanks Lee, I know very little about that type of heater. I have been trying to research and learn enough. I'm thinking I will build my first place in a cargo trailer but don't really understand the type of heater that it is.

Appreciate the not smart a$$ answer

well you need enough fresh air coming in when the heater is burning. the Buddy heaters give recommendations in their instructions. but most turn the heater off when they are sleeping. the proper bedding will keep you warm, unless you are in Alaska in the middle of winter. highdesertranger

Buddy heaters will turn themselves off if they become oxygen starved. In my motorhome, my Buddy Heater is my main source of heat when it gets cold. I feed mine from a 20 pound bottle via a rubber connecting hose. Crack a window and you will be fine. I also open my Fantastic vent fan just a bit to get the fresh air circulating, knowing that hot air rises.

If you are sleeping in a small place, such as a van, the natural tendency is to your place the Buddy Heater near the bed. As important as keeping a good flow of air, is also insuring your safety by providing space around the heater from compustable materials. This is particularly important regarding your bed covers. Roll over at night; your covers shift; slide off your bed right onto the heater. Watch out, Buddy Heaters get really hot. Be aware when you are using an open flame of any type; mount one or more fire extinguishers immediately available in your living spaces. Don't become a crispy critter because you are situationally unaware.

Just my opinion . . .

Gary68 said:
stupid answer

you turn it off

I know you meant it sarcastically but that's the smart answer...turn it off.

Don't forget to close that window you had open btw...don't ask... :rolleyes:

Most of us have learned that when we wake in the morning to open the window, turn on the heater and climb back into bed for 15 minutes or so until it's warm in the van again.

I have it down to a science now as to how much bedding/clothing I'm going to personally need based on the weather report of what the nights' low is going to be.

50F - one layer of my duvet
40F - start with one layer, add the second around 4 AM
30F - bed socks and both layers of the duvet
Below 30F - microfleece hoodie, bedsocks, both layers of the duvet AND a 2 layer Fleece throw that I keep in the van.

Below 0F - get out of dodge.... :D :D

I keep it on with a lot of ventilation, but the Buddy heater has a built in safety feature of going off in low oxygen situations. It is a great heater to learn with as you can survive a mistake in use. It does not work above 7,000 feet because of this safety option. Now that I know how much ventilation to have a Wave 3 would be my choice if I were visiting Flagstaff AZ in December. And yes I use independent safety monitors.

i lived in my van in st.Louis MO in the winter, and what i did was have 2 cheapo sleeping bags and when it got real cold i put 1 sleeping bag in the other bag and i was toasty warm in any weather. they were both spring weight i think

When you burn propane, it emits CO2 which isn't a problem. When there isn't enough fresh air flow, the CO2 gets recycled through the heater and turns into CO, which is of course a problem.

Invest in a quality sensor alarm. Understanding what happens and why, using common sense, and having backup alarms should allow you to keep warm quite safely...

Almost There said:
I know you meant it sarcastically but that's the smart answer...turn it off.

actually just my natural bluntness being perceived as ahole sarcasm,so dont ask me if those pants make your butt look big... :D

Gary68 said:
actually just my natural bluntness being perceived as ahole sarcasm,so dont ask me if those pants make your butt look big... :D

or "does this dress/outfit make me look fat?"

LeeRevell said:
A.  The Buddy heaters, like all catalytic heaters, create very little CO.
B.  Keep a window or two cracked an inch or so for ventilation.

The Buddy heaters are not catalytic.

The Olympian Wave heaters ARE catalytic.

There is a difference in the way the fuel is burned and the type and amount of CO and CO2 produced.

But yes, they both require a good steady supply of fresh are to be safe.

This world isn said:
or "does this dress/outfit make me look fat?"

No dear, ... your love of snack foods and watching hours of streaming video did that; the dress just makes it look like two animals are fighting for dropped crumbs whenever you move --- imagine the calories burned in the subsequent fight/argument  :D

The links that have been posted should detail the safe operation and environmental conditions, so I will not comment on that. However if you plan on using it with a 20 Lb tank you will need a bulk adapter hose. There are two of these that are sold by Mr. Heater one requires a filter and the other does not according to the company. I did not know the difference between the two hoses so I bought the one I could get easier (oops) I got the one that requires a filter. I have had nothing but problems due to this hose leeching a plasticizer out of the hoses material and clogging it self. Currently I am debating on buying a new heater system all together because of the hose problem and the companies response to my cordial inquiry about this problem. If you plan to use 1 Lb green tanks it works good. Hope this might help.

TBN,,, i prefer,,,,2 elephants fightihng under a circus tent

CO 2 is the complete combustion of carbon. CO is the incomplete combustion of carbon. CO can explode or cause a fire. CO 2 doesn't burn or recycle. If your Mr Buddy type heater is in an oxygen starved space, the pilot flame is cooler and the valve should close and stop the propane. Should. You will be subject to some CO before the heater shuts down. The only answer is have make-up air for ventilation, and turn the heater off before you sleep. I turn mine off before I tuck into bed as I would fall asleep and die.