Stuck in San Francisco!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another day is here and now I realize how hard it is to break from the norm. My daughter thinks I'm moving out of her apt. on Saturday and moving into a shared apt. when in fact I got scammed off Craigslist for $600. I have no where to go here, at least not yet. I haven't camped out in years and after putting together the numbers for a decent car I have no money for food. I did look at East Bay, North Bay and every other bay and concluded it is just too expensive living here. Blackcat offered me a place to crash with a sleeping bag in L.A. (never been there BTW), but don't know her and its another unknown. I could just go to where Bob suggested and try living on BLM and saving money, but the prospect of living without any vehicle nearby kind of freaks me out. I know I'm coming up with all kinds of excuses and rationales what can happen, maybe happen or will happen. My mind is constantly racing with thoughts, mostly negative. I haven't had any kind of peace for a long time and a part of me wonders if big spaces will clear my mind and soul. Once again I appreciate ya'll's thoughts and ideas, it helps frame my thoughts for new reference points in a hopeful new kind of existence.
Ya'll take care,
Bama

That sucks and isn't any fun.

But here on Cheap RV Living, all we know is ho to get you into a vehicle and living. Check Craigslist for cheap vehicles and post any you find here if you want our opinions.

The camping part is scary. But it's one of those things that is only scary when you're starting out. You will soon feel comfortable with it.

Cheap van
Full tank of gas
Sleeping blankets (thrift shop, don't waste money on a new sleeping bag)
bunch of nonperishable food
water containers (have a few gallons on hand at all times; for you and the radiator)

Then you've got a start. That's all it is, a start. But it's something. At that point, you can live without worrying about the next day. You'll have shelter, transportation, and sustenance.

If you find that you hate the life, sell the van and go back to MA.

As a person who is disabled and in a wheelchair I have now been living in my 12x7 cargo trailer for over a year. I am college educated and have gotten more than a stomach full of the hell that low income (HUD) housing offers. It seems scary at first but you have to understand that there is nothing out there that you haven't already dealt with. I bought a 1997 Crown Victoria of Craig's list for $790 and put new break lines, water pump and many other things and at this moment I'm in Brighton Colorado from Moline Illinois. So trust me when I tell you that you can do this and it will be a liberating change. Also as at least one person pointed out we are more than willing to help out where we can.

P.S.

I also do this on a budget of $750 per month.

Hi ya'll, Another day and I see more kindness and a real sense of empathy displayed here. I appreciate your words of wisdom Crave (and a little curious about your name) and does make me feel better knowing you are living out there on $750 a month. I know once I get a van it will be much simpler; its just that initial push that makes it tough. And to be living out of a wheelchair, WOW. I need a bit more impetus, I guess. But yall's messages of encouragement and ideas make me feel a little stronger each day. I told my daughter of my plans last night and she went ballistic while at the same time attacking any of my plans of action to start this new life. I know her love is sincere and pure, but I don't think she understands how living the way I do now seems to be taking a little piece of my spirit daily. And I hate cities of people!! I want to get another basset hound too, "Walter" my old buddy died a few years ago and haven't had the heart to get another while existing in some fabricated 14'x14' squared closed off room. I haven't been happy for a long time and BTW I am a writer, so sometimes I write too much when hankering to do so. I am trying to talk a couple of CL's van owners to sell me their van with monthly payments offering them a fair interest rate, but so far; nada.
Thanks ya'll,
Bama

You have lots of choices, getting out and camping while keeping your current base will give you time to think and explore - and give everyone a bit of breathing room.  The Sierra's are great, both sides, Arizona in the Winter, maybe the Anza-Borrego east of San Diego.  You definitely want to explore up and down the coast, but shoulder seasons might be more tolerable than the peak summer season.

You want to keep your Section 8.  It is easy to transfer it in State.  There are some very nice Sierra Foothills towns, and the Coast is great - if you can handle the weather.  I live in a resort town in SW Colorado in employee housing that received Federal Money.  They don't like it, but I do!  I'm trying to do half inside, half out.  I did a bit of time in Western Mass myself, great country.

Check out this site for free camp spots.  Some folks like the Walmarts and Truck stops but personally the bigger the City the farther I want to be away.

https://freecampsites.net/

Sitting outside drinking my tea enjoying a beautiful day in San Francisco thinking of my options and what is the best path. I broke my left ankle and realize I can't just go camping on foot anymore. I need a van, car or camper as a base of operations. I was wondering if anyone had a vehicle they wanted to sell. I need at least a space like 76" long so I can sleep if its raining. I can put a down payment of $1000 and can pay like $250 a month for payments. I need something dependable since I am the worst mechanic known to mankind, lol. I think 10% per year would be a fair rate of interest. I would also accept strong wording for late payments, but that wouldn't happen.
Best regards,
Bama

AbuelaLoca said:
Welcome, Steve! I guess if I were in your predicament, I might go ahead and buy a very cheap vehicle and do the BLM thing for a few months to save up enough for a better vehicle!

Good idea.  A mommy van with the seats removed might be a good staging vehicle.  ALso super stealthy for urban camping...

In your case...a basic vehicle is all you need at this moment. Preferably something longer. Sedans are out. Station wagons may suffice. I wouldn't give up loojingr. Never know when a deal will pop up.

When my car caught on fire, I needed a new vehicle right away. I took a chance on a 1986 chevy astrovan for 700 dollars. That was 4 years ago and van is still running like a champ. An old running vehicle (preferably a van) might have to do until you get something better. 

That was my original plan, but I will run the astrovan until it no longer runs. And the astrovan is a good vehicle, small wheelbase with lots of room.

i agree with bob!!! why pay rent and pay someones else's mortgage and make them rich? i wold put that money away in my bank account and pay myself for being the landlord. atleast you own the van vs an apt where your just throwing money out the window!!! and who says that rents wont increase??? housings tight down here in so cal and landlords are taking full advantage of it!!! i am so fucking sick of paying 40 grand a year for rent plus ultilities foods not cheap now either!!! i can't wait to get out of this god forsaken state as things will only get worse!!! there's lots of ways to live small i guess you would call it. theres tiny homes yurts boats rv's cargo trailers cars vans living fulltime in a big rig