Struggling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I'm going through bouts of being suicidal.

My therapist knows, my caseworker knows, my friends know, I have the crisis hotline and I've made use of it on several occasions.

Suicidal is often thought to be a disproportionate response, a "permanent solution to a temporary problem", an irrational response. However my background experience is years on end of extreme suffering on par with terminal illness yet not terminal and without palliative care...and suicide blended more into the realm of euthanasia. It was a topic discussed in the group of patients I used to correspond with. Some took that route. Others still have it on standby. I made it through...enough to escape from the abuse, at least.

Initially when I was living in any running vehicle it was the euphoric high of freedom that pulled me through. I became suicidal last winter when, before I had a community around me, I was told that there's no way I could have a caregiver despite my documented need for one. I contracted severe hypothermia that winter. I was incontinent for weeks at a time, and had a nerve injury rendering my right arm mostly useless. I made it through that with hope of better times ahead.

It's a year later, and I have more community around me. That's it. The main thing keeping me here is that I know it would devastate them.

I've told my therapist, I need to know there's a realistic hope of my life improving. This degree of medical suffering combined with physical discomfort combined with trying to eek by on so little and getting hammered by bills while everyone tells me if I just tried I could work is not okay with me. I've lived this way for nearly a year and a half in one form or another, I'm soldiering through and can keep doing so a bit longer but only so long as I have hope of improvement. I'm losing that right now. I know people like to say that change will happen eventually, but if it's, say, 5 years down the road then I'm out.

My caseworker's best response is "I don't want to give you false hope......but I want you to feel like there's hope out there." In other words, I have nothing tangible to help you with but please feel better anyway. My caseworker is a bit at a loss for what to do because "most people who come to me don't have their lives very organized." He ended up in tears and said the job is difficult because he wishes there was more resources available.

My therapist is constantly shocked by my level of self-awareness, emotional "tracking", and stability through crises. "Most people, it would take days to recover from that!" (He said of me waking up to a flat a few days ago). For me, I was more concerned when my dash showed an unfamiliar warning light, because one more financial blow due to unexpected mechanical problems and I would immediately be very suicidal, because I'vee yet to have 2 months in a row where nothing major goes wrong on a vehicle I'm in, and that's financially unsustainable on $733/month. But when I saw it was the tire and a massive screw sticking out of it was the obvious cause, I felt relief. "Oh, is that all??" Pulled out my 12V compressor, pumped it up, cost $15 to patch it at the nearest shop. And my therapist is amazed that I'm not still reeling from that the next day, and I'm going...I could not live this life if I was thrown by that sort of stuff.

I have pretty severe PTSD. I have a lot of physical illness issues, many of which are life-threatening, all of which are unpredictable, few of which are being currently treated. I'm disabled by those things.......and the rest of me is super, ridiculously functional, which I have a bunch of friends who would be happy to attest to. Unfortunately, that's not enough to change my circumstances.

My latest thing is another flare of "let's see if I can do any work". These always begin with optimism, result in me sacrificing my health, but I can manage it....until it all comes crashing down on me. The last round was just with volunteer stuff, which they kicked me out of when I cancelled too many shifts due to legitimate extreme health issues (things that would have most people in the E.R.). I'm having another go-round at it, because that's what's giving me hope right now. But I know there's a huge risk of getting crushed the next downspin.

I'm incredibly proud of myself for having carved out the life I have, for obtaining freedom for myself, for surviving through incredible odds on such a low budget without racking up debt. But gosh darnit I do not have it in me to live the next several years barely scraping by, not just financially but physically as well. I need to know the average week will have a fair number of days where nothing major goes wrong in my life. The most recent week-long suicidal period ended when I had an entire 48 hours without catastrophe. I called up a friend and was like "Ohhhh, so THIS is how normal people do life, they can actually go a couple days without anything major going wrong!"

It is human nature to assume that if someone just sets their mind to it, or is just creative enough, or positive enough, their life will turn around. I used to believe that myself....then after a decade of giving that a good solid go I realized it actually doesn't work. For a while, though disillusioned myself I faked it for the good opinion of those who felt that way. Now I'm past the point of caring. People want to think it's because I'm too "negative" or focusing on things I can't do, that's fine. They haven't been by my side the past 6 hours straight of job searching, or several hours straight of vomiting.

Most people live in a world that is unfair in some ways, but still surmountable. With the cards I've been dealt, life often feels like I'm playing a rigged game, never designed to be won only to make you think you barely can even though it's purposefully impossible.

I'm pulling out every stop I know of to try to get myself through this. Will I make it? I don't know. I honestly don't know.

I worked for several years in a boys lock down facility.  Children who were one step from being behind bars.  These "houses " were filled with teenage boys.  All filled with rage and testosterone.  Filled with problems caused by their parents.  Usually their parents were meth heads that neglected, starved, ignored or rented their children out.  People that never should have had children.   From there I went to work in a Assisted Living Facility.  These people never had a chance to have a life.  Most of them could not put a sentence together. I had to cook, bath medicate and entertain them.  

It was the little things that made the difference with both jobs.  A smile, a cookie, a hand on the shoulder or pat on the back.  I had one client that could only say one word.  Pumpkin.  He would give the staff trouble over the smallest things. One day he started making these grunting sounds.  He looked happy, so I did not say anything.  Another staff came in and went to stop him.  I told that staff to wait for a minute and watch the clients while I went to my car.  I brought in a yard sale find I had made that day.  A collection of classical CD's, and put on The Nutcracker.  Note for note it was the same.  Old Stanley was a musical affectionato.  From that day until he passed on he did not cause any more problems.  (He was in his late 70's when I worked with him.)  An old boombox and $2 worth of rejected CD's changed his end days for the better

The point is we are a community, and we are here to help as we can.  Sometimes it is a hand, and other times it is being the person who needs a hand.  Others need to be able to help and be needed to make their life complete.

Attachments

• 0704092028.jpg
    0704092028.jpg
    28.7 KB
Hey Bitty,Have you ever tried alternatives like pot or lsd. Mind altering drugs. I took LSD in the 60's with Tim Leary and Stanley Owsley ( it was still legal) changed my perspective for sure.

I'm sorry you're struggling, Bitty. I used to be one of those helpless caseworkers, took me 15 years of watching my clients suffer, with minimal access or availability of services before I couldn't take it any more. All I can offer is some cyber support and a hope that you can find some peace.

Sometimes when we nurture our spiritual side, that side of us that realizes that something cosmic and larger than ourselves is working in the universe, works to take us away from thinking we are the center. The universe is unaware of our existence, in a way that we could become the target of misfortune. Of course, life is a struggle but we must always move forward and never let it defeat us. Sometimes it is better to go out into the wilderness and find peace within. Sometimes we listen to what others think are solutions for us, when we really have the answers inside ourselves. Finding peace in the wilderness, feeling the awe of all it's beauty could be an answer. Peace and Happiness to you. The power is inside you....

Bitty

I have had some pretty dark times in my life and the options I think of while there tend to hit the unacceptable range. I wont make a list but running away in one form or another always seem to be one of them and is never the answer.

I wish you the best and if talking helps, any time.

Sounds like your being pestered by the Black Dog. All you need to do is teach him some new tricks.

Bitty, I have a friend going through very similar circumstances and I've been there myself. I'm sure my physical issues are no where near what you deal with. Please, keep moving forward. You're in inspiration and a blessing to many of us.

Sending good mojo, healing vibes and positive vibes.

wagoneer said:
Hey Bitty,Have you ever tried alternatives like pot or lsd. Mind altering drugs. I took LSD in the 60's with Tim Leary and Stanley Owsley ( it was still legal) changed my perspective for sure.

The primary issues are affording it, and getting doctors and therapists to help with my actual issues when I'm doing what they see as a destructive habit. My occasional 1/4 shot of vodka to help me sleep some nights gets some of them really super concerned that that must be the reason for my problems, and I should quit. Which is pretty ludicrous. Tried various kinds of ingested pot, they give me severe digestive issues. Smoking is out of the question due to extremely sensitive airways. Vaping is a possibility, I tried it a couple times and though my airways weren't particularly happy, it might be doable. I had plans to get a type that helps with calming and try it for panic attacks and to occasionally help with sleep, but finances stopped me.

Sameer said:
Sometimes it is better to go out into the wilderness and find peace within.  Sometimes we listen to what others think are solutions for us, when we really have the answers inside ourselves.  Finding peace in the wilderness, feeling the awe of all it's beauty could be an answer.

Definitely. If I could afford the gas, if I could afford the supplies, and if I could bring someone with me who could take care of me through life-threatening situations, I would so be there. There is zero doubt in my mind that it would be super healing for me to be amongst the wilderness--always has been that way. The question is merely one of getting there without breaking the bank, getting stuck, or dying.

Oh, and there's also the strut and alignment issues in my van that have people here advising I curtail driving until they get fixed in January when a college can help me, since I cannot afford to fix them.

My therapist specializes in a form of EcoTherapy, which is why I chose him. A couple days ago we were having a session in the park when my childhood came up, and he presently asked me if looking around in nature if anything pleasant comes up. I mentioned how wilderness, especially forest, was always a "safe place" in my mind, it was where I would go to escape my family. Therapist asked me if I could identify a sensation in my body associated with that. I could, and I tuned into it for a moment, a warmth, a comfort in the very core of my torso. I was so determined to have a fresh look on whether there was any possibility of getting out into the wilderness, I can feel how healing it would be for me!

Yet, seconds later I was shut down, "frozen", unable to think clearly, unable to remember a question long enough to answer it, unable to finish my sentences, despite trying my darndest to engage with my therapist my body and mind had completely locked down on me.

That was two days ago and I'm still trying to recover. Past two nights I have spent several hours "frozen", unable to move from a spot until someone comes and helps me. It is psychological, related to the PTSD and the "fight, flight, or freeze" response hardwired into us. I sat in the driver's seat of my van for about 4 hours, kept thinking I could unfreeze it myself with just a bit more time or a few more tricks I've developed, finally ended up calling up someone at 2am, they were willing to make a 45 minute drive to come help me. It's totally awesome that I have people like that to help me. Without it I very well might have spent the entire night that way.

And that was all because I spent a few seconds engaging with my deep desire to be out amongst nature without the interruption of civilization. I do not need any convincing, only the resources to make it possible. Without those, entertaining the idea is cruel and I need to focus on making city life work instead.

This may or may not be of any help, but I'll throw it out here anyway...

I am mostly a city camper, but if I've had a blue day, when I go to bed that night and close my eyes, I think of all my favorite camping trips in the woods, nothing but good memories. I will drift off to sleep peacefully with no worries, and awake in the morning more refreshed than I had been in a long time.

I don't really seem to dream much, but I normally seem to have the habit the of going to bed and laying there thinking about all my problems, or all the things I need to get done. Sometimes leaving a radio on low helps too, it interrupts that process of the brain keeping going after you go to bed.

Bitty,
I want you to know that we all care about you very much on here. I enjoy your posts and ALWAYS read them when I am going through a post.

X2 on what Belinda2 wrote.  I am not a touchy feely type of guy, but reading of your hardships almost brings me to tears.  Wish I could make it all go away for you.  Best wishes and hang in there.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm still here, still trooping through it. Was in the E.R. on Thanksgiving as I woke up to severe nausea and vomiting as well as other gastric issues, that after half an hour had not let up and I was beginning to feel like I'd pass out. These used to happen every couple months or so, now so far only twice this year. Part of the many periodic medical crises that occur without sufficient treatment or explanation. A fine example of why heading out to the wilderness alone, even if I did have the money for it, would be a bad idea.

To those who have mentioned depression, that is one thing both my therapist and psychiatrist most definitely agree I do not have. It's a bit curious, being suicidal without being depressed, but it's true. I do not lack in motivation or in enjoying positive experiences to the fullest. But, I do lack in hope, because for me it is absolutely essential that hope be rooted in reality. No one is able to give me that right now and that makes life feel very iffy. The current level of suffering is not acceptable to me; I need to know that it can improve in order to be willing to continue subjecting myself to this degree of misery.

I've spent the past several weeks focused on attempting to alter my setup to keep warm enough for winter. As it turns out, last year was a very mild winter, and though I was quite cold I survived it with just a raincoat, two sleeping bags, and a sleeping bag liner for warmth. This year it is already far colder. The raincoat had fallen apart, the store was awesome to grant me a full refund for it even beyond their 1-year policy but me being so tiny it took a week and then ordering over the internet to obtain another quality coat at a decent price--and then powering through two weeks of heavy rain with some freezing temperatures and no coat!! Then it didn't arrive when it was supposed to. Friends keep loaning me their coats and I keep having severe (read: life-threatening) allergic reactions to them. Just today it's been sorted that the mail place got my coat several days ago and somehow neglected to put the package alert slip in the mailbox I'd been checking twice a day. Golly, my life is so freakin' fragile.

But a few weeks ago after I went into a flurry to attempt to create a winter setup out of thin air with practically no budget I managed to get a onesie from a shop selling them, inquired about whether they had any unsalable items and got one from them for a super cheap price--paid more for shipping than the actual item! The onesie, while it looks silly, gives me the chance to "hang out" in my cold van instead of always needing to be in my sleeping bag, and I found out the other day I can put it on over clothing too. When in my sleeping bag it needs to be below 50 degrees in the van for me to wear the onesie, otherwise it gets too hot!! And, just today, a friend gifted me with another one, which means I can layer them if things get really cold. I'm beginning to feel confident in my winter setup for remaining warm, at least.

My minivan is one of the deluxe versions that have heated seats, so I find that one strategy for staying warm when out and about is first to space out errands and "hang out" in the front seat inbetween them. I can idle for even just 3 minutes and it will heat up the seat. My lighter sleeping bag (the one I use over my heavy one on the coldest nights) is non-bulky enough to use it as a blanket while on the front seat and it helps hold in the heat.

I think once I manage to pick up my coat and can be certain everything is in order (I got it at less than 50% retail price but it's supposedly brand new with tags, I'll check everything over carefully) I'm going to be feeling pretty confident about my winter setup.

...but by this time next month I might no longer have a phone, and I still have no earplugs so am still getting very little sleep. I alternate between almost no sleep and over-the-counter earplugs that leave me weeping in pain the next day with painful open sores in my ears. Insurance is taking its own sweet time after I think it's been over 5 months waiting for approval for the custom earplugs that wouldn't cause this issue. My teeth have so many severe dental issues that foods are becoming ruled out by difficulty to eat alone, but obtaining dental care is net to impossible.

For now, I'm focused on finishing off my focus to be warm enough this winter, because without that it's game over. It looks like that one will succeed, at least at the bare minimum necessary. After that, well, we'll just have to see.

God bless you, and please know that I am praying for you. No one should have to go through what you are. I will pray that things get better for you very soon, that you find the right doctor who can diagnose you properly.

Thanks for the replies!

I got a coat, but lost gloves. They were accidentally left behind in the library after a stressful therapy appointment and apparently stolen, as they never ended up in the lost and found.

Scraping frost off the windshield without an ice scraper and no gloves isn't very fun. I now have an ice scraper, though it'll probalby be next month before I can get gloves.

Last Tuesday had sudden onset of extreme diarrhea and vomiting; we're talking complete loss of bowel and urinary continence about every 8-10 minutes for 2 hours straight before calling an ambulance. Spent all night in the ER and couldn't eat for 36 hours after, still recovering. Although I was fairly prepared for these sorts of emergencies I did not account for fumbling around in the dark when in extreme pain and only seconds to spare, so I got disgusting mess all over my van and stuff. Had to rely heavily on family and friends...I slept in the filth for two nights before I was well enough to drive back to folks who could help.

Strangely, to me this stuff is easier to survive than day-to-day misery and hopelessness.

It does demonstrate why one of my greatest fears is to be alone during crisis, due to extensive medical history and being made to suffer/survive it alone. End of December is when my family could no longer carry me on their phone plan and I was switched to a dumb phone without WiFi or easy texting, which basically set off so many panic attacks I've had to completely rearrange my life to try to have people I know around me at all times, which drives me crazy in other ways but at least I'm functional! In the meantime, still trying to sort out a better option for the phone stuff.

I know my creative writing has gone so far downhill, and a part of me feels i should apologize...I'm just so freakin' exhausted.

Bitty said:
My therapist specializes in a form of EcoTherapy, which is why I chose him. A couple days ago we were having a session in the park when my childhood came up, and he presently asked me if looking around in nature if anything pleasant comes up. I mentioned how wilderness, especially forest, was always a "safe place" in my mind, it was where I would go to escape my family. Therapist asked me if I could identify a sensation in my body associated with that. I could, and I tuned into it for a moment, a warmth, a comfort in the very core of my torso. I was so determined to have a fresh look on whether there was any possibility of getting out into the wilderness, I can feel how healing it would be for me!

Yet, seconds later I was shut down, "frozen", unable to think clearly, unable to remember a question long enough to answer it, unable to finish my sentences, despite trying my darndest to engage with my therapist my body and mind had completely locked down on me.

Keep doing the exercise, for you will be able to hold onto it longer and longer over time. The healing sensations can grow more and more. Consider it to be practice and it may be easier to hold on to.

Being frozen, confused, lost are all signs of major depression. Not your fault, my dear. Don't beat yourself up for it. Or as my therapist once asked me, "Why do you keep punishing yourself?" That simple question made a difference for me.

I hope something makes a difference for you. God bless.

PatsyG said:
Keep doing the exercise, for you will be able to hold onto it longer and longer over time.  The healing sensations can grow more and more.  Consider it to be practice and it may be easier to hold on to.

Being frozen, confused, lost are all signs of major depression.  Not your fault, my dear. Don't beat yourself up for it. Or as my therapist once asked me, "Why do you keep punishing yourself?"  That simple question made a difference for me.

I hope something makes a difference for you.  God bless.

Thanks for the kind words. ::) The exercises are almost exactly like the ones I was taught about 3.5 years ago, which got me out of a bedridden state. I've been doing them since then, and my bf and i often do them together as well. It is certainly healing, it's just like....so, after all these years, after doing it as often as possible, and continuing to feel great reward from doing it....this is as good as it gets. Therapy has the potential to do more, but the problem is my life keeps going too haywire to even do therapy at all, which my therapist readily tells me. You can't do deep therapy work when you haven't figured out some immediate basic life essentials, or are constantly being freshly traumatized, or are physically too ill to arrive at appointments. Ugh.

And, while I'm certainly open to the diagnosis of depression, not my therapist, nor the psychiatrist I had for a time, nor my case manager, nor my psych intake specialist saw any indication that label fits what I'm going through. I'm a super highly motivated individual who absolutely loves life and eeks enjoyment out of anything wherever I'm at. I'm just constantly terrified as my attempts to hold my life and myself together repeatedly dissolve into life-threatening situations that are preventable but currently cannot be prevented due to circumstances, inadequate medical care, severe physical discomfort and no real opportunity to rest and recover. I get maybe 3 hours of sleep a night with lots of interruptions. Maybe.

I know it's counter-intuitive to think that someone in my circumstances and who oscillates with being suicidal isn't depressed, but I feel that I can be pretty confident with the team of mental health professionals I've been totally open with that they know what they're talking about. ::) As I've said before, what I need is tangible hope grounded in reality that things will actually improve in my life. Medically, financially, lifestyle-wise, whatever. I've been living for over a year without a caregiver when a caregiver was thoroughly established as to be very much needed. And now even though I have a good doctor that's becoming pointless because they're prescribing things I can't do because of my van setup and pure lack of ability.

In some ways it's a miracle I've survived this long. But I'm simply not okay with living the next several years of my life barely managing to survive as life continually destabilizes from a myriad of angles. :/ Rest is needed.

Bitty said:
In some ways it's a miracle I've survived this long. But I'm simply not okay with living the next several years of my life barely managing to survive as life continually destabilizes from a myriad of angles. :/ Rest is needed.

I still hope you find something that works for you. I hope you find something fulfilling. I hope you can at least find relief. No one deserves the kind of pain you have.

As you know, you are lucky that you are loved.

Bitty said:
I've been living for over a year without a caregiver when a caregiver was thoroughly established as to be very much needed. And now even though I have a good doctor that's becoming pointless because they're prescribing things I can't do because of my van setup and pure lack of ability.

I am confused. Even if a need for care giver is established, how would this happen while you are living in your van? I can think of possible solutions, from living with relatives to living in a group home to living in your own place and having visiting nurses. But I cannot figure out how it would be possible if you wish to continue van dwelling. The only thing I can think of is some sort of adult day care. But having seen those places when my uncle was in early stages of Alzheimer's, I cannot imagine that you would be willing to give up the freedom and independence to go there. As limited as he was, the way staff treated the adults in their care like toddlers even frustrated him.