Stovetop ovens 'good' or 'not so good'?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used one of these.  I use my cast iron skillet with a pretty tight lid that has an adjustable vent. I have a small grate (you can use anything, a tuna can etc) to raise something like a pie pan (for pizza) off the bottom if I need to.  Biscuits, cornbread, etc just go right into the skillet.  It takes a bit of practice but works pretty good!

i used one for years still have it.  they are great for keeping food warm.  for baking you really have to watch closely,  they are made out of such thin metal that they gain heat fast and lose it faster.  so you have to Constantly monitor.  i now use a dutch oven.  or my camp chef stove/oven combo.  highdesertranger

And though pricey, a cast iron 3,4 or 5 qt Dutch oven with a lid has a multitude of uses, including being an... oven :0)

yummmm... I just checked out the dutch ovens online and think that may be the way I go.<br>I imagine it takes practice to bake a cake or corn bread but I'm willing to experiman. <br><br>thanks everyone

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Yeh agreed the cast iron dutch oven is a beauty. Also cooks rice to perfection by the absortion method.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Lately discovered a modern cook top Stainless Steel pressure cooker. I use this as it takes no time at all to cook a whole chicken, meat, even cakes&nbsp;etc They have certainly improved over those old dangerous aluminium ones of the past. I was a bit scared of the old ones actually.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

actually corn bread is one of the easier baking recipes i have done with a dutch oven.&nbsp; i have had good luck with bread also.&nbsp; stews, soups, chili and roasted chicken are a breeze.&nbsp; highdesertranger

<P>I bought one of the Coleman ovens several years ago, but never got around to using it. I love my cast iron, but if weight is a concern, maybe the Coleman would work better.</P>