stove thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Pacific Northwest one can find the butane canisters in nearly every nice sporting goods outlet. Even our Wallmarts, Targets and similar retailers have them. Be sure to look around when shopping, they might be on the next row down : )

Just a note on carbon Mon-oxide alarms. The sensor in the alarm will gradually be come more sensitive as it reacts with low levels of gas. it can also be contaminated so as to be less sensitive. This is also true for oxygen sensors. The price of CO detctors have fallen and I replace mine after 18 months or so if it has been used in a camping trip or if it has ever tripped to alarm. Any hydro-carbon burning will produce carbon Mon-oxide if there is not enough oxygen present, always vent and never sleep with a flame.

I have a coleman one burner, my backpacking stove the msr pocket rocket and my wonderful 2 burner Century Campstove. I will probably be using all three as needed. Great thread, lots of good ideas!<br>I'm glad to see the post with the cast iron skillet I was afraid I'd have to give mine up. Yikes!

Just bought the coleman perfectflow one burner shown in&nbsp;2 posts above yesterday.&nbsp;Heated&nbsp;up some soup in just a couple of minutes. I have always used the single burner propane stoves, I used the&nbsp;last one for many years. The single burners are great for when space is limited if living out of a car and&nbsp;can find the propane bottles almost every where.&nbsp;&nbsp;

The <span id="post_message_1276723240">Heatmate type stoves/heaters can be found in the bigger boating/marine stores. Check the reviews on the smell they can make.<br><br>I use a propane and thinking about making an Stainless Steel Hobo stove.<br><br>James AKA Lynx<br></span>

I found this thread very interesting and informative. <br>to those that cook on their engine: I bet you did it once or maybe twice but I seriously doubt it produces food worthy of repeat cooking??? no offense but I just can not believe it is worth the hassle. me thinks it is more folklore than truly pracitced ;-)

Engine cooking (really just heating) worked on the old engines where the stuff could be placed on or very near the exhaust manifold. I don't think it would work as well on a modern engine. Although I haven,<br>'t done this for many years.

I just ordered the solo set up.&nbsp; Love my hot chocolate and french vanilla coffee.&nbsp; A friend has a coleman stove and has promised it to me.&nbsp; We will see on that.&nbsp; I am going to learn this and then move up from there.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So save some twigs and stuff for me on the camping sites for my coffee lol.&nbsp; Hope that when I get on the road that I will learn how to make the cola stove.&nbsp; If fellow campers are as nice as the people posting on this site I will be learning a lot.&nbsp; Going through a high learning curve...&nbsp; lol &nbsp;<br><br>Oh the Solo stove comes with a solo alcohol burner.&nbsp; Not sure how to use this.&nbsp; I hope it has a lot of instructions. <br><br>thanks

SALE !!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just a heads up : REI is having a sale on the 2 burner Coleman PerfectFlow propane stove. Regularly $69.95, on sale till 5/27/2013 fro $48.99. It's item number is #849-693<br><br>KinA

Anywhere that there is some kind of reasonable amount of sunlight, solar ovens are the way to go. &nbsp;I cook with mine daily. &nbsp;Here's the one I have: &nbsp;<a href="http://www.solarovens.org/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.solarovens.org/</a>&nbsp; It makes the most wonderful baked eggs you've ever tasted! &nbsp;They even peel easily. &nbsp;Just place room temperature eggs in for about 2 hours and they are perfect. &nbsp;<br><br>I've made bread, cornbread, beans, rice, baked potatoes, carrots, baked corn on the cob in the husk(possibly the most perfect corn ever), warmed up leftovers, etc.<br><br>I am trying to figure out a way to take my parabolic cooker with me on the road. &nbsp;Wish it was smaller.<br><br>Since I am probably not going to be able to take along the parabolic cooker, I'm looking at buying one of these: &nbsp;<a href="http://www.amazon.com/StoveTec-Delu...69713130&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=rocket+stove" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/StoveTec-Delu...69713130&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=rocket+stove</a>&nbsp; It uses very little fuel and can be fired with charcoal as well.

Nice stove, I have been looking for something like this. I like the single door best. Better than a camp fire.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

Have you looked at the<h2><strong><span style="font-size: xx-small;">Envirofits new M-5000 Rocket Stove </span></strong><br><br><strong><span style="font-size: xx-small;">http://www.envirofit.org/products/?sub=cookstoves&amp;pid=10</span></strong><br><br><strong><span style="font-size: xx-small;">Video - </span></strong><br><br><strong><span style="font-size: xx-small;">Also has a Pot Skirt. Looks good. May help reduce my propane needs. </span></strong><br><br><span style="font-size: xx-small;">James AKA Lynx</span></h2>

The Stovetec is the better stove. I bought one and the 7 litter cooking pot. I was going to make a Stainless steal hobo stove but this looks much better than what I could make. Should last me quite a while. <br><br>If only I could figure how to use it as a heater in the van.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

Anyone do any baking..?&nbsp; say make your own bread?&nbsp; I love to bake and just beginning to gather info on blasting off next year but one thing that did come up for me was how well the "normal" RV ovens and stove tops really are for a guy like me?

Morgan7600:&nbsp; Bread is hardly worth making for most people. Ovens in RVs are small and not easy to clean.&nbsp; Counter space is limited except in the huge expensive rigs.&nbsp; Publix, Kroger and other grocery stores sell any kind of bread you may want.

There are many types of bread. One I make would be called dumplings. 1 Cup +/- whole wheat flour, 2 cup +/- instant mashed potatoes, 1+ teaspoon baking powder, 1+ tablespoon peanut oil, 1-2 cup almond milk as needed. Mix dry stuff, add oil, blend with 1 or more cups milk as needed to make batter. Drop batter into boiling water till done, 20 minutes or so.<br>You can add anything you want to the batter like veggies, nuts or spices, or cook the dumplings in soup/sauce as chicken and dumplings or something else. Adjust all the ingredients to your results.

I saved that link to Amazon.&nbsp; I can see that I would have to have one of those things once I get settled in my new RV lifestyle.&nbsp; I love to cook and bake so that thing just looks so awesome.&nbsp; Thanks for the post.&nbsp; Morgan

I am a stove hog.&nbsp; LOL<br><br>In the order of most used.<br>1) Coleman two burner propane stove with 8', 20 pound propane hose.&nbsp; ( I have two 20 pound Blue Rhino tanks always)<br>2) MSR Pocket Rocket with two MSR canisters<br>3) Coleman one burner for the one pound tanks.<br>4) The flame thrower, IE The one burner that came with my turkey fryer, crab/clam steamer.&nbsp; I like to clam and crab in the summer time.&nbsp; It really draws a crownd when you are steaming some crabs or clams at the campgrounds.&nbsp; LOL<br><br>I made a home made oven that works either on the two burner Coleman, the Flame Throw or the campfire.&nbsp; <br><br>I have three ways to bake.&nbsp; I make all my own breads and such.&nbsp; Dutch oven, Solar and the home made jobby.&nbsp; The home made gets used the most, the Lodge dutch oven a close second.