Stealth parking in New York City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking around and don't see any difference between the plates on regular cars and commercial vehicles in California. I live on an island without a lot of gas vehicles, but all the taxis and delivery trucks that I have seen have the same plates as cars. Am I missing something or do they have different stamps, rather than the plate itself?

I asked around today and was told that  commercial vehicles in California do not have special plates.Some have a small number tag on the side of the vehicle that could easily be covered with a sticker when out of state, but I doubt if anyone would know what it was outside of California. Don't see why it would be necessary to register a cargo van in Arizona or elsewhere.

chrisbarclay said:
Was Bob Wells wrong?  
From what I understand, it's actually not illegal to live in a car, van, rv or whatever in the streets of New York City. As far as cargo vans being registered with personal plates? One person who has done it told me that if you put in a window and a seat behind the drivers seat you can do it. But why bother with a cargo van? Get a passenger van with dark windows or an old conversion van with a high top. 

Here's my plan, I'll be getting an older Toyota Sienna, I will toss out all seats but the drivers seat. Put in some kind of bed and a porta potti.  Register in South Dekota (No taxes) but spend 9 months of the year in the Big Apple.
I will live in whatever neighborhood strikes my mood. Spend time in the Hamptons, Vermont and Maine.
One thing about New York City is the fact that it now has free and fast Wi Fi. I can sit in my car with a laptop and cell phone and do a Network Marketing business. I avoid all the big expenses of living in this city, I own my "home" and answer to no one. Also considering eventually getting a 30 ft boat and living in that for at least part of the year.

Hi Chris 
I would like to learn more about registering my Car in SD.  

Also- where can I get more info on Can Dwelling in NYC? 

Thanks 
Xerie