Starlink adds roaming ---- for a fee.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
I have had SL since last Dec prior to going full time. I have been wonking the system and moving inside the SL system to maintain connnection and have moved up to 150 miles from stated location and it still worked. Recently I strted getting a message that
"you are out of your home territory, you still have service, but it maybe be throttled at peak times",
and I have noted it doing so.

Yesterday Starlink announced that for $25 a month you can turn on anywhere roaming (conditions apply) , and can disable it again anytime.

Right now I am in the middle of pines in the Coccino NF, with the antenna on a pole... spotty signal due to the trees.

So current SL is $110 a month with the optional $25 a month for roaming. Setup is initial monthly fee of $110, then around $600 for hardware.

So we are looking at about $750 or so to get the bill for $135 a month for a powerful signal? $2300 or so the first year.

I need something better than what I have but that is hard to justify to myself. I might be showing my cheaper side

It's certainly not the bargain it was originally marketed as...I remember before prices were announced on the 2nd gen dish, 'The Elon' had guessed that monthly cost would probably go down to around $69 a month and the hardware would be about $250.

THAT didnt happen!

And yes I got the email advising me of the 'portability' option for the bargain price of $25 a month over the standard $110 I'm paying now.

In the insurance business, raising prices on established customers is called a 'loyalty tax'.

Ouch. Again.

Last edited:
I have Starlink and don't like paying a big amount, but I like the good unlimited internet it provides even in remote places.

If T-Mobile works where you travel.... then a $400 a year donation to Calyx Institute can provide you with real unlimited data on a hotspot. I can use all the data I want and they don't care.

THAT didnt happen!
Keep in mind that the system is less than 20% deployed and we are just out of Beta.. and in reality it is still in Beta. Also note that much like the Starship, they are building, modifying and adjusting how they do things....

That said, I could easily see prices not coming down.

When compared to true unlimited data plans, with no throttling or other limitations, along with a Cell booster is not that much cheaper.