SPLIT - SE Gathering photography laws and courtesy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didn't Jessy The Body sue a publication and win because he copyrighted his image?

Seeing as how I'm a federal fugitive, I should probably stop getting my picture taken too.  

But there are nights in my cargo trailer that I think 3 hots and a cot might be nice.  

JUST KIDDING.  

As Bob said, if I didn't want my picture taken, I would either avoid gatherings or invest in some disguise , or cosmetic surgery.

caretaker said:
didn't Jessy The Body sue a publication and win because he copyrighted his image?

Jesse sued Chris Kyle's estate for inaccuracies and defamation in his book 'American Sniper', where Kyle claimed that Jesse defamed the Seals, saying they “deserved to lose a few.” According to Kyle a fight ensued and he laid out Ventura. Jesse claimed that the false account of the incident cost him his own reputation and was ostracized in the community. The publisher refused to remove the false passages and he was awarded 1.8 million.

As far as being filmed in public, we all are. Every time you enter a store with surveillance cameras for example.  And, how about the x-ray machines at airports, where they are getting more than a passing glimpse of your face.  In fact, there are numerous stories of those images being shared amongst TSA workers.  People often say "I don't care, nothing I do is that interesting" - but what about those who DO care? Do they have no say?

I have probably 3pictures of myself that I took to use as avatars - When I look at my picture I'm usually horrified that I actually walk around looking like that all day which is why I'd never have a Youtube channel.

IanC said:
 People often say "I don't care, nothing I do is that interesting" - but what about those who DO care? Do they have no say?

Ian according to the US courts and statute law, and as much as you may object, the answer to your question is "no."  Generally speaking (with some exceptions) you have no say over whether or not your image is taken when you're in public, or how it's used later.  Outside your own home (and really only then with your curtains drawn) you have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" (and especially in public.)  If you can be seen, you can be photographed.

IanC said:
...  People often say "I don't care, nothing I do is that interesting" - but what about those who DO care? Do they have no say?

As an out lesbian since the 70's I've dealt with this for a long time.  So many people were outed and lost jobs/family/church when their pictures were taken and published.  It was devastating to so many, but there isn't a single thing that can be done about it other than staying inside or disguising your appearance.

hepcat said:
Ian according to the US courts and statute law, and as much as you may object, the answer to your question is "no."  Generally speaking (with some exceptions) you have no say over whether or not your image is taken when you're in public, or how it's used later.  Outside your own home (and really only then with your curtains drawn) you have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" (and especially in public.)  If you can be seen, you can be photographed.

Go film some cops or high security buildings from a public place.  Depending on where you live you will get harassed.

firebob said:
Go film some cops or high security buildings from a public place.  Depending on where you live you will get harassed.

Perhaps so.  But that doesn't change how the laws read.  And many large law enforcement agencies are now doing better training for their cops on this subject.  In the US, police officers have no special standing under those laws.  Some buildings may have limited protections under law... one of those 'exceptions.'

The VA has signs at all entrances advising no photography allowed. I've never seen anyone called on it and have taken several pictures myself, but not in front of a VA cop who usually has little to do and all day to do it in.

I have seen a huge argument between a cop and a vet trying to bring his support dog in without a muzzle (seems the animal had nipped someone) and there were many recording the event.

Best time to take pictures there is when there is some birthday party or event with free food. Can't find a cop, they are all in the break room eating. Your tax dollars at work.

Rob