Spiritual Issues that lead to legal issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlmarshall

Reaction score
OK, I'm a minister. I'll come out and say it. I want to offer services (non-denominational, non-traditional) to the community. I'm a woman. I don't care who you love or how you do it. None of my business. I don't care how you believe about a higher (or lower) power. However, I can give a legal marriage certificate if you need it. In most states.

I can also do a christening/dedication to add validity to a birth declaration when aided by a midwife.

For myself, I have alternate spirituality, and I've been stuck in Tennessee and told to attend every church that anyone is affiliated with. That doesn't work. Never has, never will.

I'm inclusive, willing to teach, lead, heal, and counsel. Completely non-judgemental. I've been through it & have experience, not a degree in psychology with no idea of what the book learning really talks about.

Do ya'll think I'm welcome? I lived in an RV for 3 years some time back and want to go back to the lifestyle. I miss the open sky, the ability to change my view any day, and follow the weather to match my clothes.

Hi mlmarshall and welcome! Not really sure what you're referring to when you ask if you would be welcomed. Welcomed to the forum? Sure! Welcome to the forum! :cool:

If you're referring to something else, you would need to clarify that for me, please.

When did you get ordained? Why don't you want to attend organized services? If it's to personal to answer here, feel free to PM me. If it's to personal for that, no worries!

Here's some wishing that you have a blast no matter what you find yourself doing!

EDIT: What is the spiritual issue that would lead to legal issues? That was the one thing I was curious about and forgot to ask! Lol

Welcome to the CRVL forums mlmarshall! This is an inclusive community. Everyone is welcome! Offer your services if you are camping with a group and see if anyone is interested.
I, too, am curious about the spiritual issues that would lead to legal issues. ?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Why wouldn't you be welcomed? What do you do that would cause you not to be welcome?

Thank you for your welcome!
I'm Pagan. I was ordained in 2015, and was raised in the UU church, so I'm very inclusive.
Sometimes, a marriage or birth needs legal paperwork. A minister can provide some of that. That's how spiritual issues can lead to legal issues. Things like the IRS, and so on.

I'm a writer, healer, and practice my spirituality my way. I sometimes invite others to participate, but I've been "in the closet" spiritually for so long because I'm in Tennessee, that I approach new groups with trepidation. I always seek my "tribe" of spiritual healers and leaders.

I'm familiar with trailers, but I'm down to a van right now. I wanted a C, but the urgency I feel to get going leads me to the van life.

I had a 19' travel trailer and moved to a 38' 5th wheel that I hated. Loved the trailer! But I had trouble with the tow vehicles.

If I understand... you wish to offer alternative spiritual/religious services, but are unsure if you will be welcomed...?   Sharing my thoughts... everyone needs to recharge their spiritual batteries every now and then.  So if people have that inner spiritual need and identify with your ideologies, they will naturally gravitate toward you.  If their spiritual needs are already fulfilled, or your 'teachings' are in conflict with their strongly held beliefs, then some people may reject your ideas.  But that's ok, because everyone is on their own spiritual journey to find their own truth and happiness. 

History has shown it common for people to reject a religion/ideology, especially if new and outside their frame of reference.  Consider that one guy a couple thousand years ago who was crucified for his radical beliefs.  Rejection will be incidental to your ministry, especially if your ideologies are counter-culture or tangent to mainstream beliefs, particularly in areas like the bible belt.  I find the best way to minister to others is to live the best example of your beliefs, affirm and treat others well.  Wait and pick your opportunities to minister only when people are ready to hear your message.  In doing this, without imposing your beliefs on people, they will typically accept you even if they don't accept your ideologies.  Consider the old adage, you can lead to water, but you can't make 'em drink...  For example, everyone has that way over enthusiastic friend who was just reborn and won't stop to take a breath... yeah, if they're way too 'extra' its awfully fatiguing.  If I like the person, I'll plainly ask them to tone it down, if they continue I disengage and avoid that person. 

As for spiritual leading to legal issues... I'm at a loss to understand what you mean.  Are you considering marriages of underage persons, plural marriages, animals, inanimate objects, etc.??  If legitimately ordained in a recognized religion it should be all kosher (pun) for you to marry two people.

Welcome to the site.
Have fun van shopping and get what you want and hit the open road!

As long as you are offering your services, and not pushing them, you will be welcome.

Works for me. I tend to find my "tribe" and then talk about stuff. When I run into you guys later this year (hopefully!), we can sit over coffee or tea or just plain good water, and have a jaw about all this. Maybe some of you will be my expanded vanlife tribe!

Welcome!
IMHO, any spiritual beliefs, rituals, traditions ect are people's personal choices that should NOT be prosylitized on others. In other words, keep it to one's self. I attended a UU congregation for about 2 yrs. It wasn't until I mentioned I was an atheist-agnostic-bhuddist that I realized I was the only one. It seemed I did not get the "welcome" mat there after. This UU was a very small and friendly group of people so I dont want to bad name them. Many were x-catholics who didnt want the pageantry of Catholicism yet wanted the birth and resurrection story of Jesus to be. I met a few pagans that were very friendly, very spiritual, and very intelligent.
Best to you in your new voyage!

Latest posts