Spare key?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped hiding keys under my vehicles when I realized all the minimum wage employees at the oil change places would know they were there. Maybe you can hide some where they wont see them when doing service, but it seemed simpler and safer to me, after locking myself out a number of times, to simply carry spare keys on me at all times. Older vehicles required a door and ignition key, newer ones a chipped key, though you can get them copied on an unchipped blank, and it will open doors, and operate accessories in the ignition, it just wont actually start the vehicle. I keep a spare chipped key also, sometimes on me, sometimes secured in the vehicle in a locked pistol box (you do have a pistol box dont you? A secure metal box cabled to the seat frame to keep valuables from walking off?)

It seems common with people that still have vehicles needing keys in the ignition switch to have a ring of keys hanging off it, which is generally pretty bad for the ignition switch and can damage it over time. I keep the vehicle key alone in my pocket, and the spare on whatever ring of keys I may have in my pocket. Smaller rings make less lump in your pocket if you want to keep the pocket bulk down. I also keep the remote door opener fob in my watch pocket (that small pocket above your right front jeans pocket) or vest pocket, so its always ready to push through the pocket if my hands are full, and it doesnt tend to get hit accidentally like happens when in a pocket with keys and other junk. Ive worn it on a cord around my neck under my shirt also, but the watch pocket or vest pocket is preferred.

Keeping the vehicle key alone has a side benefit, if your vehicle is jacked, they only get the vehicle key, not keys to anything else like where you may live, store stuff, or your cargo boxes etc. I also generally have locking gas caps, and for obvious reasons never left the gas key with the ignition key. If I got jacked theyd only get what gas was in the tank. Im coming around to the idea of a GPS locator and ignition cut-out like the used car places put in vehicles with loans on them, so if my rig was jacked/stolen, Id have a chance of getting it back. That would be even more important of living in it.

Ive also never been one to leave keys laying around, or having bulky fobs on them. I want them on me at all times, one never knows when the Viking/alien/zombie invasion may occur and you have to leap into action on a moments notice, or some miscreant breaks in (happens in broad daylight) and youve just given them a free vehicle if you leave keys laying about. Besides just losing them,...where did I put those keys........

Sara in a Prius said:
Thanks, Brian. Hide-a-way keys are a great option for normal metal keys, but my understanding is that with an electronic key, it's basically like leaving the key in the ignition.

Just wrap it in layers of aluminum foil to block the signal and put it in the [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hide-a-way location outside your car. Otherwise you will need to keep the spare on your person at all times. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]May have some other tips, but depends on the fob type. [/font]

I like the idea of using a hide-a-key or similar (tape to plate) or lanyard for a spare door key only, then keeping a spare fob in the glove box with the battery hidden elsewhere. Such great ideas!

Malamute said:
It seems common with people that still have vehicles needing keys in the ignition switch to have a ring of keys hanging off it, which is generally pretty bad for the ignition switch and can damage it over time. 
I concur, a heavy keyring dangling while driving is destruction in slow motion.  Regardless how I carry my keys, I only drive with just the barest minimum in the ignition cylinder.  I have seen keys that looked like they had been sanded down to nothing because they were attached to a heavy key ring.  Replacing a key is nothing compared to replacing the ignition cylinder.   For most cars the switch is separate and it's the lock cylinder that needs to be replaced. It's a monster job, if it was easy private all vehicles would be public transportation.  They always get it wrong in the movies.  Hot wiring just starts the engine, but the lock holds the steering wheel and transmission in park.

With the metal keys I’d always put one behind the tag by running one of the tag’s screws through it! Never lost one nor was it ever found by anyone else!

In your situation I’d consider a RFID blocking bag. They make very small ones for credit cards that should work.

I’d likely heat seal it in a plastic bag and zip tie in some out of the way place!

SD

I'm not a fan of electronic keys. Why over complicate something that works just fine. My daughter had to replace one on her 4 Runner and it cost her $400. When I bought a new car 3 years ago one of my criteria was a standard old fashioned brass key which is now a rarity. Right away I had a couple spares made (by the code # for accuracy) for $6 each.

Note: If you have a car with a old style brass key, go to the dealership, get the key code and write it down. After a certain number of years the key codes are deleted from their database. Whenever you need a new key, have the locksmith shop make it by the code rather than copy the old key. It'll fit better and last longer.

Very good points hugemoth, particularly getting the code.  In a bad situation you can call a locksmith, give them your year make and model along with the key code and have them deliver you a key.  Also keys cut to code are what your keys were like new, not copies of worn down keys.  I think your daughter got over charged.  I replaced a similar key for just over $200, including getting the car synched to the key and that's in a location with a high cost of living.  It helps to get out in front of a problem and plan ahead.  So as you travel call local locksmiths and perspective shop for the cost of key replacement.  When you find some one with good prices that's where you get a spares made.  There is one caveat.  One of the reasons to pay a locksmiths a fair price is to keep them honest.  Don't rip yourself off dealing with unreliable people for a unrealistic price. 
Electronic keys are more effective at keeping a car your's, but at a price.  Brass key locks can be defeated with a hammer and a screw driver, locks with electronic elements can't.  They say you should be willing to spend 10% of the cost of a bicycle on a lock to protect it.  By that logic electronic keys are a bargain.  I prefer passive keys to ones with batteries.  There is nothing worse than being stranded because you lack a part that you can't make or get access to.  The movie Red Planet made a good point of that.  In the spirit of turning a negative into a positive, the cost of replacing electronic keys is a good incentive not lose them.  All things being equal I prefer to have things simple, but I'm willing to make sacrifices to keep my truck mine.  I inherited my current truck so I have electronic keys, that's not something I can change and it's not worth selling the truck over.  I have made metal key copies that will do everything but start the engine, that includes access to power to charge a phone to call for help.  

SR

Technology either works for you or against you, knowledge tips the scales in your favor.

When I lost my electronic fob, I got a new one on Amazon for $128. I then programmed it myself using instructions from YouTube. That saved me hundreds over having it done by the dealer.

This was only possible because I had a spare however. If I had no keys at all, a new one would have cost $$$.

hugemoth said:
I'm not a fan of electronic keys. Why over complicate something that works just fine. My daughter had to replace one on her 4 Runner and it cost her $400. When I bought a new car 3 years ago one of my criteria was a standard old fashioned brass key which is now a rarity. Right away I had a couple spares made (by the code # for accuracy) for $6 each.

Op has a key fob. But yeah, why over complicate. That's exactly why i bought my 4Runner, regular key, no nanny radar/laser junk and the 4Runner has been basically the same for the past 15+ years.