Soon to be semi-new fulltimer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boots Nomad

Reaction score
Hello all;

A brief introduction would be: My name is David; I previously purchased and briefly traveled in a 1986 Coachman class C rv until I got convinced/scared into quickly returning to a more "conventional" lifestyle; my father and stepmother were full time rv'ers/workkampers for a few years in the late '90's/early 00's (and a large part of the "scared" portion of my returning to a conventional lifestyle); and I've been feeling the "call of the road"  (increasingly) again for a couple years now so have been planning my (hopefully) permanent escape.  I have not purchased/fully decided on my next rig as, so far, the units with the floorplans/accessories I want are bigger than I think I need (>25') and the "shorter" ones have not had the necessary head room for me to work/move around in comfortably (also not thrilled with most layout/floorplans).

Look forward to reading/learning for everyone here and contributing when I can.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum !   :) 

You'll be in good company here and know that you'll have plenty of support from this community.    Overcoming fears is one of the things we help with.  Having this resource will provide you with knowledge
which will help you to overcome your fears and learn to succeed when taking to the open road. 

One of my sites below may be of help for you.  The bottom one is a portal of useful information to the
traveler who is far from home and doesn't know anyone around him.  It can help you plan a journey, side trips along it, and free campsites to stay in while traveling.  So give it a look and see what all may be of benefit to you.

All the best !

Welcome to the CRVL forums David! Finding the perfect new home is often the most difficult step. Good luck and keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, David,
Sounds like you are planning to look at ready-made traditional RVs for the amenities you want versus doing a van build or such. There are not as many traditional RVers here, so I think a lot of us will be eager to see what you are looking at and which amenities you most want... a different perspective if you will.

Maybe start a captain's log or such so we can see what you are looking at (you would want to post pics, right? LOL).

I have a 23' class C and used to have a 29' class A before that and couple of home built pickup campers before that. Bicycle , canoe , backpack and yes even an unconverted van!

So have a little experience with each , (45' Diesel pushers too if you count a tour bus!)

Welcome, David! We're looking to buy our first full-time rig too, also looking at conventional RVs (travel trailers in our case), and I feel you so hard on the abysmal layouts. I will never be able to lay eyes on a dinette again without wanting to set the damn thing on fire.