Smoky mountains tour 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
Smoky mountains tour 2018   I am on day three of exploring the smoky mountains. I’ve got many pics but they are too large to upload. I will continue trying later. AT&T service is sketchy in this area.

This was where I parked last night!  

Tonight I am parking in the parking lot of a pancake restaurant. I want to be first in line when they open LOL

Attachments

• 93C7A894-ED23-4445-9B41-35A8A922B564.jpeg
    93C7A894-ED23-4445-9B41-35A8A922B564.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 15
sweet pic....and enjoy those fresh pancakes!! Love your sharing your adventure.

PattySprinter said:
Beautiful! How did you research for plotting your route?

i posted a question in the forum a few weeks ago asking people to give me recommendations on what things to see in this area. they were very responsive. iv seen some beautiful sights so far! i really didnt plan too much of a route. just meandering around LOL

Trying to post more pics but it won't allow me to use photos from Google photos sorry

Cool, you got out of town. The old Savana, looks exactly like mine, down to even the running boards. No obvious clue there's a guy living inside, :). Will be interested to know which route you took - bring back memories. Be nice to see a pic of the Asheville riverfront district.

im able to get only one more pic loaded.  this is Fontana dam on the NC /TN border.  

A great thing about being in the van...iv saved several hundreds not having to pay for hotels!  :)

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Couldn't resist checking out Tail of the Dragon?
- https://tailofthedragon.com/

I figure that even cheap motels will cost about $2,000 a month, so as I like to travel a lot, I am paying off my van by saving on motels. I've slept in tents all my life, but my bad hip finally caught up to me last year, and I cannot get comfortable on the ground any longer, even with thick camping pads. 8" foam mattress in the van.

I love the Fontana Dam Area. The free hot showers are a bonus.

tnvangirl said:
I love the Fontana Dam Area. The free hot showers are a bonus.

tell me more about these free showers because I just paid $5 for one in pigeon forge

Matty Van Halen said:
tell me more about these free showers because I just paid $5 for one in pigeon forge

The Appalachian Trail runs right across the dam. I believe that's the reason they are there. At the visitors center they have very nice ones, at least the women's were nice. Also up the road a few hundred feet from the visitor center at the pull over/picnic area you can walk down the trail a bit and there is another bath house with showers. Water was hot and pressure was good at both. I've slept at the dam and the picnic area several times - not in a row - and never had a problem. However, there is no cell service so it can be kinda boring after dark.

tnvangirl said:
The Appalachian Trail runs right across the dam. I believe that's the reason they are there. At the visitors center they have very nice ones, at least the women's were nice. Also up the road a few hundred feet from the visitor center at the pull over/picnic area you can walk down the trail a bit and there is another bath house with showers. Water was hot and pressure was good at both. I've slept at the dam and the picnic area several times - not in a row - and never had a problem. However, there is no cell service so it can be kinda boring after dark.

Thanks!  I'll use them next time I'm back there .I drove over to pigeon forge for better internet service and found the shower $5 is not bad price to pay to feel so fresh and clean now :)