Smart-Phone as Computer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back a decade or longer prior to the first iPhone, my Palm Pre smartphone had an app which I paid extra for. It was for an email app that was able to do "push" emails. That was all the rage for at least a couple years. Why? Cuz if you didn't have push email, that meant you had to (gasp!) manually use your finger to press the "refresh" button or "get new" emails, otherwise you still had yesterday's old emails. Ye gads, how stone age! Nowadays, pretty much all smartphones come with a stock email app that can do "push" emails, meaning that new emails arrive pretty much instantly without manually refreshing. Anyone else remember the "push" email craze?

I use my Android smartphone as my primary computer. Almost all of my documents and important files are already in the clouds. I can also hook up an external monitor and a mouse as well if I want to, but if I set it up just right, I think I can get away with just an external keyboard.

So, I think this is a good idea and I am going to try to make that set up work. I haven't moved to my sole computer yet though, so we will see how well that works for me.

Excellent thread, so I'll give it my 2 cents:

- I'm really into computing, and have been since college day (200 odd years ago) , so staying in contact, & staying amused (online) is a BIG DEAL to me.
- I am on my 5th smartphone (8 cellphones total). My Samsung Note 3 is so powerful & handy, & the apps so streamlined, I'll use it for certain things even when I am sitting in front of my computer.
- The larger the screen the better (assuming you want to get as many uses out of your smartphone as you can) , that was the primary reason I chose the Note 3. BUT another EXCELLENT reason I chose it was USB hosting - meaning the phone has a real USB port, and the phone will RUN DEVICES through this port. This includes a USB hub, allowing you to connect multiple USB devices (screens, keyboards, mice, hard-drives, etc) Only a few phones will do this.
- Next, This phone also directly supports HDMI output, meaning you can drive a TV screen (monitor). All you need is a USB to HDMI cable.
- BUT, even cooler, is Samsung's "Smart" product line. Smart is a wireless communications protocol, with it, your Smart devices will "talk" and share with each other without wired connections. This means: Your Flat-screens, Phones, DVD & DVR will interconnect. If you can see it on your phone, you can broadcast it to your "smart" TV monitor.
- All that said, a REAL computer, with a LARGE screen, and a keyboard are un-beatable in many areas, in many ways. But they also require more power, and do nothing for connectivity.
- I have slowly weaned myself from large clunky desktops, and am now on my 5th notebook. (until recently I always had a desktop computer somewhere in the background)
- PRICE of notebooks has dropped dramatically due to the overwhelming use of smartphones. Yes, if you go into a store you will still pay a premium for a quality notebook computer. BUT, I did an end-run around them and just scored a 5 year old pavilion dm1, (11.5" screen, 7/8 sized keyboard, windows 7, word, excel, PP, etc) with an extra battery, and external wireless mouse for FREE FREE FREE!!
- I'd recommend walking into one of those small locally owned "computer service & repair shops" , & picking up a used computer. BUT, doing that will not get you connected. For that I need a SMARTPHONE, if for no other reason than to broadcast a wifi signal.... but, as you can see, I use it for far more than than, and it SAVES LOTS of amp-hours.
- I am looking forward to up-grading my moho TV & sound system to be low-power, flat-screen & wireless, so that when I have the power (energy, ah) I can link my phone, & computer, to this system.

disclaimers:
1. I am not full time, & have limited myself to going out for 3 or less months at a time.
2. I have NOT used the "smart" feature in the Samsung devices, but it sounds better than any other connectivity methods I have heard of so far.
3. My solar system is in dire straights (that is a term, isnt it?) & I will not be dropping any moola ($ for you youngsters) into the moho TV & sound system till corrected.
4. I am unhappy that my moho gas mileage is 12 to 14 mpg (triton V10). And this is one of the things that as limited the timeframe & distance of my wanderings :-/

May Peace n Joy be with all my fellow cheapskate wanderers.
f

flailer said:
4. I am unhappy that my moho gas mileage is 12 to 14 mpg (triton V10). And this is one of the things that as limited the timeframe & distance of my wanderings :-/

I envy that mileage... last trip, my moho got 8mpg. Trade ya? :)

I'm all confused on the best setup. There are so many possibilities out there. Can't afford to try them all, unfortunately. I would love to ditch the bigger power hog of the laptop and go to a smaller iPad like device (although I'm not an apple fan, it was a gift from my daughter). Like the keyboard ability. Like the wifi it can connect to. It keeps a charge a long time. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy III, have had for 2 years, I like it well enough. Not so much for browsing the net, though, too small. I just keep my phone for phone usage and would like something else for internet. Maybe a Samsung netbook type device with keyboard and mouse. Will then have to figure out net from there. For now though, the house has wifi, can use desktop, laptop, iPad and phone off it. On the road, just take dvd's and not worry about net (although I have the phone for net if really needed). Course, not full time yet and the trips have been long weekend types.

One of these days though... :) Lots of info on this thread guys, thanks!!!

Shouldn't this be in "Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery" ??

Since I started this thread I have acquired a Samsung Note 3, Logitech K810 wireless keyboard and a logitech wireless mouse. The bluetooth is the key to making it all work properly. I have no issues whatsoever and have been using this setup for at least a couple of months. The one thing I have not had success doing is video editing otherwise everything is great. For vandwellers its a great choice as it uses very little power.

all I know is you people that use a smart phones for anything must have much better eyes then me. I know people watch movies on them I don't see how. highdesertranger

Lucky mike said:
when they make a smart phone with a 12" screen I might try it.......I cant see the screen otherwise :)

An iPad's close, and can be connected via 4g or wireless.

I used my iPhone a lot when we travelled, and - though small - it did fine. A lot nicer now voice recognition. Don't need to use the small keyboard or a USB/bluetooth keyboard. So yea - using a phone is very doable.

highdesertranger said:
all I know is you people that use a smart phones for anything must have much better eyes then me. I know people watch movies on them I don't see how. highdesertranger

It's gotten harder the past few years, or I've been spoiled by the iPad. Do t even bother packing the laptop anymore.

highdesertranger said:

The key is to keep the screen close to your head. Mine is about 8 inches away from eyes as I type this. I use a large-ish camera tripod to hold it up. Its attached with a thin strip of wood, an L bracket and a clamp. I made a holder for the smartphone out of a cereal box and some black electrical type. Using the tripod I can easily adjust it or swing it out of the way as needed.

The chromebooks that charge from USB and use a mobile processor are a great option for low power computing. the ChromeOS is rather restrictive though. some linux distros can be installed for a more PC like experience.

After a few years of trying to find a better phone I just downgraded back to the smartphone that got me started with android, the A855 droid, efficient single core CPU that I can overclock and undervolt, the 3.7" display is perfect for me, built like a tank, and powerful enough to do anything I need a phone to do. It has some features I don't want like a slide out keyboard but that's a lot easier for me to live with than the other phones I've had. Sadly it's not waterproof though and on my first one after 2 years of abuse the volume rocker broke.
I use my computer for all my video editing and 3d gaming, all my phone has to do is be a phone, browse the web, occasionally play some gameboy games and stream media. I have owned dual core, 4g phones with bigger screens and It's not for me.

I go with the rule of for every inch of screen size put the screen 2-3 inches away.

Unity Gain, glad to hear you found a setup that works good for you.

opinion based thoughts:
- a phone is for voice communications. texting from a 12 button pad SUCKS (but it is low power)
- a smartphone is a huge step up. Is for voice communications +wifi, +hot-spot broadcasting, and short, bite-sized, consumption (meaning incoming mostly; meaning 90/10 rule). "consumption, meaning reading of texts, emails, of social networks (FB, g+, & limited reading of forums. + Driving directions & Navagation ROCKS!! They are limited for "consumption" primarily by their screen size. Voice recognition helps, but they are still for "consumption" of info. (also, on the power front: very nearly as low power as a "dumb phone" but they don't seem like it as they get used OFTEN; far far far more use than an older style cell phone)
- a tablet's is a huge step up. It's functionality is limited by it's screen size. Also, they seem to be always limited by the types of input (the keyboard sucks, blue tooth keyboard is highly recommended). Some have an S-pen (scribe pen, e-pen), and while I have used a scribe extensively, they do not EVEN replace a real keyboard. In many ways voice recogniton is preferred over pen. (i have used apple's tabs & android, & the tech-fun associated with android, and flexibility, is more palatable than apple. BUT, this statement about apple is less true if a tablet is for "consumption" , rather than tinkering, flexibility, communications & back & forth input output )
- Notebooks & computers in general. Well, everyone is VERY familiar with them, and you don't even need my 2 cents.
- If you are not familiar with notebooks / computers then (generally) they are of little use to you. And an apple tablet *maybe a nice device for entertainment, NAVIGATION, and useful due to great battery life, and ease of use.

But who am i?

Peace n Joy to all my fellow wanders,
f