Sleeping with the door open

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important conditions to consider are the ones surrounding YOU, at the time. And to keep in mind that you are not special, God is not going to protect you under all circumstances, and that bad things can happen to anyone.

I have picked up the knack of ignoring sounds. Probably from living in Mexico and having an ex who's snoring can drown out a bulldozer.
Definition of Mexico should say non-stop noise but with the GOOD tacos!
I can ignore loud expected noises. However I'll hear an unexpected noise that isn't very loud.
Also I 'sleep' with Walther 😉. If I hear them they'll still be there when the sun rises.
I'm much more concerned that the screen completely keep out the mosquitos.

Zerpersande, Be careful at the dentist as I lost a friend with MRSA, & had a friend almost die both had it in the heart valves & both linked to dental visits.
Unlike driving a car, working with electricity or using power tools there isn’t much I can do to ‘be careful at the dentist’ past choosing a competent dentist, which I think I have done.

How were in instances you referenced linked to dental visits?

I got it from a blood draw for a physical & they didn't wipe the site w/alcohol.
As with the two previous instances, how was it confirmed that the first two came from dental visits and that yours was a result from a non-sterile injection? Specifically the injection because studies indicate that alcohol swabs prior to injections do almost diddly squat. (Search for the article ”Alcohol swabs: Are they effective or do they do diddly squat?”)

I watched her do the draw & she didn't swipe my arm with anything & I told her so. As far as my friends that's what their doctors told them. It's a real risk getting MRSA at the dentist. You're right about alcohol lysol & bleach work better, they may normally use something else but she used nothing.
https://www.nature.com/articles/4813976

Last edited:
I watched her do the draw & she didn't swipe my arm with anything & I told her so.
From the Journal of American Infection Control:

Current guidelines for the practice of insulin injection recommend a clean injection site on the skin; however, disinfection with isopropyl alcohol is not typically necessary.

Despite these guidelines, many resources still recommend isopropyl alcohol skin antisepsis prior to insulin injection. Alcohol has traditionally been advocated as a method of skin preparation to decrease infection risk despite several studies to the contrary.

Although evidence exists that alcohol antisepsis reduces bacterial counts, this does not translate into lower infection rates.

As for the MERSA my dentist has always seemed to be getting new equipment. There’s no way for me to monitor how well things in his clinic are cleaned.

You pays your nickel and takes your chances.

I watched the two videos about the Japanese guy camping. He must own every battery and rechargeable light available there. At one point I was convinced he could be seen from space. I just cannot imagine camping with that much light. You could see all the bugs he was attracting.

I watched the two videos about the Japanese guy camping. He must own every battery and rechargeable light available there. At one point I was convinced he could be seen from space. I just cannot imagine camping with that much light. You could see all the bugs he was attracting.

Yes, like I said, he sort of makes me chuckle at times with his many gadgets, but if he likes them, then hes the only one he has to please. I probably need more camp lights, Im pretty behind the curve on camp stuff to any level right now, and have probably gotten soft and civilized the past few years living in a normal house and in a town off and on. Im pretty sure my future camp outfit is going to look pretty cushy to my 30 or 40 years ago self.

...And I would add that I foresee more comfort oriented gadgets in my future. Our friend in the van in Japan has some interesting gadgets. If it makes mobile life easier and more comfortable Id consider it without prejudice and decide if its something id actually use to my benefit. My days of minimalism and roughing it are hopefully behind me. For much of my camping experience, a small flashlight in my teeth was my only light other than a coleman lantern now and then. Im pretty sure that level of minimalism is over for me.

In some videos Ive seen I look at the battery operated Christmas lights longingly. Nice low light level for navigating around a dark campsite.

Malamute, I agree. I want more comfort.
When I was a child my dad got a camper for his pickup. It was very top of the line back then. It had a two burner stove and heater that ran on propane, a fresh water tank and black. I don’t remember if there was a separate gray tank. Shower, which was NEVER used and toilet. It would sleep 4 which was the size of our family. Very fancy for the 1960s. I loved how my mother would joke that we were really roughing it.
Mom was not a camping person. I think they got it so mom would go on trips and to save money on motels. Some remember when a camping spot did not cost as much or more than a good hotel.
Well, that just turned into a ramble down memory lane. 😁