Skoolie Blues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown Bunny

Reaction score
Hello all, i am Brown Bunny, and i have an eleven window diesel pusher, as my home.  i have a lady, whom i live with, but whom is not interested in this life style.  It's still "yellow" which i hate, but my biggest issue is a safe place to work on the conversion.  It's my studio on wheels, my home.  But as an older man, i find that i don't have the energy, time nor a place to continue to work on her.    i have been following this life style on YouTube, for years now, and only after watching , PBS Independent Lens, series, AMERICAN NOMADS, and Crystal, mentioned to another woman, about going to Bob Wells, website for information and help did i think to do so.   
  Everyday i watch three to six conversion videos, whether it's on vans, buses, cars, any vehicle, and wish i was on the road traveling this great country.  i want to " be about this life style" not just watch it on my cellphone.

Thank you!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Brown Bunny! Tell us a little more about your bus!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello! You are not alone in your wishes, nor your lack of energy or your watching of videos :)

Welcome Brown Bunny. I was a part timer for years. I spent weeks alone in the forest without seeing another human "bean". Best days of my life. By May 1 I will be full time - I may have to go sooner than May 1 - I am getting the nomad itch awful bad. Don't put it off too long, I almost did.

Yellow isn't bad.  When I was driving them they were all yellow with black stripes.  The bad part was 35 screaming middle school kids in the back.  I never had a problem with yellow and black.

The build is never done. It changes as you live in it. You do want the baics to be completed, but no need for the fancy stuff you see on you tube. Also some winter camping gear is good for getting through winter  in your skoolie.  Welcome, and hope to see you on the road.  -crofter

Your woman friend must have some kind of interest it since she is apparently living with you in your bus.

Trebor EnglishYellow isn't bad.  When I was driving them they were all yellow with black stripes.  The bad part was 35 screaming middle school kids in the back.  I never had a problem with yellow and black.

:D      Thank you for welcoming me, i believe the hardest thing to deal with (for me) is feeling alone while trying to to do something that scares the "Beans" out of you.    Someone asked if i would say more about my bus, so here she is.   
1999 Amtran International
7.3 diesel turbo, with 135000
thank you again, for your welcome

maki2 said:
Your woman friend must have some kind of interest it since she is apparently living with you in your bus.
Hello Maki2,
sorry for not being clear in my introduction, i do live with my lady but not in the bus, but at her place.  

My baby is an 1999 International Amtran
7.3 turbo diesel engine   approx...38  feet long .    

Thank you again

Hi Brown Bunny,  Welcome,
You would probably get a kick out of watching the "Bus Grease Monkey" on the tube. He started out as a photographer, using an old GM fishbowl bus to travel from shoot to shoot until he started having problems with his 2 stroke diesel engine. Now with a 1947 ex Greyhound coach he travels the lower half of the states repairing GM diesel powered bus conversions. Worth watching just for the conversions.

Brown Bunny said:
Hello Maki2,
sorry for not being clear in my introduction, i do live with my lady but not in the bus, but at her place.  

My baby is an 1999 International Amtran
7.3 turbo diesel engine   approx...38  feet long .    

Thank you again
Keep the friendship strong and healthy but both live the life you are strongly drawn to. You will both do just fine even if partings bring some sorrow with it. Our lives have many passages and transitions in them.