Shaving Cream Defogger for better Stealth

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artist

Reaction score
Todays news on AOL's Savings Experiment is that you can use shaving cream as a defogger for your vehicle windows:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/...ng-grid7|main5|dl39|sec1_lnk3&pLid=1975018617
Quote:
When it comes to your car, a foggy windshield can be a real pain. Store-bought defogger spray can cost you up to $7 per bottle, but it turns out shaving cream works just as well. Simply spread a thin coat onto the inside of your windshield, and wipe it down with a clean cloth. This will keep your windshield clear and shave a few dollars off your winter spending.

Inside the windshield ? Sounds like a joke hoax. What a mess.

Yeah I viewed a video on YouTube a while back and shaving cream was shown to be really ineffective compared to storebought defogger. Maybe it was the type the guy was using, but I'd rather not waste my time when I know something will work for sure.

Buffing bar soap on sorks but itself makes the window view fuzzy when it's absorbed water vapor

Found a couple references:

Five Things Shaving Cream Does That it Wasn’t Meant To: by Kelly Stoddard, Editor AllYou.com :
5. Bathroom mirror cleaner (and defogger!): Sure glass cleaner does this job but shaving cream will leave your mirror streak free and also stave off the “foggy mirror effect” for a few weeks. Simply rub the shaving cream on the mirror with a paper towel, wet the paper towel and rub it off. This technique will leave glass door streak free too.

Keep Glass from Fogging Up with a Bit of Shaving Cream By Lifehacker CraXyOW3:
I have also tried this with my car's windows, it works well even there, although when fog begins to condensate from the heat, it takes some of the protecting layer of shaving foam away.

This works because the soap (which is really what does the job—any soap will do, shaving cream is just easiest to use) creates a protective film over the glass that keeps it from fogging. A little goes a long way, all you need is a dab or two—even on your car's windshield.

Full Size Jeep Network, Foggy windows Postby twmattox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 pm

An "old school" trick is to use some barbasol shaving cream on the windows.

My vehicle went to its retirement home last weekend or I'd try it, would be handy if I had shaving cream too...
Anyway, Hope this information helps someone
(smiles)

I'm not sure rubbing soap on the inside of my windshield is something I would do. I keep it very clean and have been happy with the results.

If you're having condensation problems on your windows, when other cars on the street aren't, then you have moisture problems that need to be addressed. Sufficient heat and ventilation are your answers.